PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] user permission changed to 755 and user login disappear

pierreu1
November 8th, 2010, 06:44 AM
I had a problem with the ICE authority problem probably created by the ecrypted and autologin issue described here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1373476&highlight=nautilus+error). I could not login into my user account anymore after installing 10.10.

The single computer (1) has one user (to add an extra layer of security by not using the administrator account). Not sure if this is a good idea in Ubuntu, but I have been told in Windows that it is safer to do.

Unfortunately for me, I read some other fix which suggested to download Samba files and change the permission of the user to 755 (it was a number in the thousands). UNder the menu, I went System > Administration > Users and Groups and then change the user permission using the advanced feature.

Now, the user has disappeared from the Users and Groups (but it is still there in the login and in some ways when trying to manage my administration account and clicking groups and then scrolling down to my user name (which is still available).

Now, I have 3 questions.

1) How do I get the user to reappear in my Users and Groups introductory panel?

2) Did I need those Samba files?

3) What should be the permission number for my user?

Thanks all for the attempt to solve this issue!

pierreu1
November 11th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I pursued the matter after thinking about it.

I decided to create another user and did not run with any ICE authority problems, although I am running this user with a password (no automatic login).

I am not too sure how to get back my vanishing user! SOunds like a good title for a movie though! :)