PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] inspiron 8100 10.10 install and f5d7010 wpa2 issues

crackers8199
November 8th, 2010, 06:22 AM
i have an old inspiron 8100 that doesn't really run windows xp even very well...so i'm trying to put ubuntu on it. i had 9.04 installed, but am unable to get my belkin f5d7010 version 7 to connect to my wpa2 network (i've tried everything i can find online, with no success). the card works and connects to unsecured networks just fine, but wpa2 doesn't work at all.

so, i was hoping to do 10.10 and hope that something had changed that would allow me to actually get the wireless card working and able to connect to my network. however, when i put the 10.10 cd into the drive and boot, i get no display...it seems like the CD is loading, and if i press the power button it pops open the drive and lets me take out the cd, then pressing enter reboots...but i have nothing showing up on the display.

so, the point of this thread is actually two-fold:

1) does anyone have any way i can get my card working with wpa2?

2) why does my display not work when running the 10.10 live cd?

i know the cd is good, i've used it to install 10.10 on another machine. if someone could help me out here before i smash the laptop completely out of frustration, i'd appreciate it...i'm going on several months trying to get this thing working. finally got frustrated enough that i figured it was time to start my own thread here...

crackers8199
November 8th, 2010, 05:23 PM
can anyone help?

crackers8199
November 13th, 2010, 10:07 PM
anyone?

crackers8199
November 14th, 2010, 08:32 PM
seriously, nobody has any idea how to help me with this? i've been trying for months to fix this and would really love to ditch windows altogether, but i need to be able to use wifi before i can do that...

crackers8199
November 15th, 2010, 01:06 AM
someone, anyone, please?

crackers8199
November 15th, 2010, 08:21 AM
ok, i've got an update...using wicd and wpa_gui, i was able to determine (or at least i think i did) that the wpa2 negotiation is successful, the computer just fails to get an IP address after that.

can someone, anyone please help me?

crackers8199
November 15th, 2010, 06:39 PM
i find it really hard to believe that nobody has any ideas...come on, someone throw me a bone here. please...

crackers8199
November 16th, 2010, 06:34 PM
bump...ANY ideas? please? seriously, NOBODY has ANY ideas on how i can get this working? anything at all?

crackers8199
November 16th, 2010, 11:54 PM
can someone PLEASE help me here before i end up breaking things out of frustration? i can't believe after bumping this thread every day for a week that NOBODY has ANY IDEA how to help me here...

please, someone give me something, anything to go on...i'm begging at this point. i just can't figure this out.

crackers8199
November 17th, 2010, 12:02 AM
now i guess i screwed something up with the display drivers, because i can't get the system to boot now. even recovery mode takes me to a blank screen...

someone help me, please?

cybergnome
November 17th, 2010, 06:03 AM
See if you can boot from a bootable CD. Recovery mode is probably a hidden partition on the hard drive. If you've only messed up booting from the hard drive, it should boot from the CD with a decent display. The hard drive error can be fixed. If it doesn't boot from the CD either, then it's probably time to find another laptop.