PDA

View Full Version : Computer recomendations

rmcellig
November 8th, 2010, 03:00 AM
This is what I am currently using as a computer running Ubuntu 10.10. I can hear a lot of swapping going on with the HD probably because of a lack of memory?

I am using a Dell Dimension 3000 circa 2002-2003. Not sure if this computer is worth upgrading so I am looking to get a new desktop computer. What should I get so that I can run Ubuntu super fast. I do a lot of audio editing/recording.

Should I have one built or just go and buy one off the shelf. I would like something where I can easily swap HD's/ memory if need be etc...

NightwishFan
November 8th, 2010, 03:50 AM
That CPU is fine, though I would ensure you have more than 512mb of RAM. If not, give Xubuntu a go.

czr114
November 8th, 2010, 03:52 AM
It depends on what you use the computer for, and how you have it configured. A simple backdown of aggressive graphics settings and a culling of some daemons might allow you to get more life out of that computer with only more RAM, a new video card, or a SSD, rather than having to spend money throwing the whole thing away.

How would you characterize your typical usage?

rmcellig
November 8th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I use my computer for audio related tasks. Would more RAM make that much of a difference?

NightwishFan
November 8th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Depends on if you are out of ram. Generally audio related tasks, audio recording and etc need only a bit of spare of ram, I would say at least 256-512mb spare depending on the software you use. You can always try. Tasks such as audio effects, recording and midi/notation more require CPU power.