PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HP G72-261US, 10.10, StartUp USB OK, HD no graphic boot

pwzhangz
November 8th, 2010, 02:50 AM
I have an HP G62-261US notebook (Intel CPU and Intel built-in graphics card), 4 GB RAM. I can boot from a 10.10 startup USB (created with another AMD/ATI based notebook running 10.10), and it runs seemingly OK from the startup USB.

However, after installing 10.10 onto an HD and removing the startup USB, I am unable to boot into graphic mode. Also, after I booted into the text/recovery mode, the screen kept displaying 13 messages of rtl8192_set_chan()====Chan:1 through Chan:13, every 30 seconds.

I am currently happily running 10.04 on this machine.

Can anyone direct me to where I can start diagnosing the problem. I have tried the Super Ubuntu and Xubuntu 10.10, and had experienced the same problem. Thanks.

tkoco
November 8th, 2010, 03:46 AM
I have an HP G62-261US notebook (Intel CPU and Intel built-in graphics card), 4 GB RAM. I can boot from a 10.10 startup USB (created with another AMD/ATI based notebook running 10.10), and it runs seemingly OK from the startup USB.

However, after installing 10.10 onto an HD and removing the startup USB, I am unable to boot into graphic mode. Also, after I booted into the text/recovery mode, the screen kept displaying 13 messages of rtl8192_set_chan()====Chan:1 through Chan:13, every 30 seconds.

Can anyone direct me to where I can start diagnosing the problem. I have tried the Super Ubuntu and Xubuntu 10.10, and had experienced the same problem. Thanks.

Two possibilities: configuration issue or driver issue for Xorg

Boot up into text mode. Use "script" - it will capture all text which comes to the screen. Then issue the "startx" command. After it runs it's course, type in "exit" to get out of the "script" program. The resulting "typescript" log file can assist with determining what the problem is.

pwzhangz
November 9th, 2010, 09:58 AM
After issued the startx command, the screen frozen, and I had to do a cold reboot to 10.04. Thus, this approached seemed to have failed.

mörgæs
November 9th, 2010, 10:15 AM
There is nothing wrong with staying with 10.04. You will receive bugfixes through 2013.

pwzhangz
November 9th, 2010, 04:56 PM
10.04 has audio problems with two of my HP notebooks (HP G72-261US and HP G62-222US). While upgrading alsa, by hand compiling, to 1.0.23 solved the audio problem, it was a pain to have to re-do all the re-compilations every time I update the kernel.

10.10 solved the audio problem.

dino99
November 9th, 2010, 05:04 PM
into a terminal:

you can remove xorg.conf:

sudo rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg-video-intel

maybe you need to boot by adding nomodeset (before: quiet splash)

if that work, add it into /etc/default/grub

pwzhangz
November 9th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I think the problems (there are a myriad of other problems even when I booted into the console mode) may be related to the fact that during the USB boot, it uses the regular kernel, whereas, during the HD boot it uses the pae kernel.

What is the easiest way to replace the pae kernel with the non-pae kernel? This machine is 64-bit Intel CPU with 4 GB RAM, but I installed 32-bit Maverick.

pwzhangz
November 10th, 2010, 01:31 AM
This problem has nothing to do with the pae kernel.

Tried "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg-video-intel" --> package was not installed.

Tried adding nomodeset (before: quiet splash) --> did not help.

ping-wu
November 26th, 2010, 07:19 PM

Upgrading to the 2.6.37-020637rc2-generic kernel solved the graphic boot problem, but now I don't have a wi-fi.

For the time being, I am running the ethernet connection, but at least I know display card problem will be solved as a matter of time. Thanks!

ping-wu
November 26th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Upgrading to the 2.6.37-020637rc2-generic kernel solved the graphic boot problem, but now I don't have a wi-fi.

For the time being, I am running the ethernet connection, but at least I know display card problem will be solved as a matter of time. Thanks!

I can also use a D-Link DWA-125 wireless N150 USB adapter. It works great. Thanks everyone!

ping-wu
November 27th, 2010, 02:26 AM

Actually this problem was SOLVED as we spoke.

Upgrading the kernel to 2.6.35-23, which just came out a short while ago, also solved the Intel HD display card problem. Furthermore, the wi-fi is now back to normal.

THANKS AND THANKS AGAIN!