PDA

View Full Version : How to install Dual Boot Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows sp3 with NVIDIA GeForce FX5500 Grap

allu john sudhakar
October 28th, 2010, 07:36 AM
p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } I have P4 system in my home and system configaration is

BIOS: Mother Board version ZX-865v v1.0 (2009-04-22-4m)
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 2.40 Ghz
Memory: 1024 MB RAM

Display:

Name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500
Manufacture: NVIDIA
Chip Type: GeForce FX 5500
DACType: Integrated RAMDAC
Approx Total Memory:256.0MB
Current Display mode: 1024X768(32bit)(60HZ)
Monitor: Plug and Play monitor
and in that system i have SAMSUNG HD321Hj hard disk of 320GB and made three partitions (C D E) in that i have installed xp with sp3 in C & D partitions and in E pratition i installed ubuntu 9.10.

in this month ubuntu 10.10 was released and i tried to install ubuntu 10.10 on my system. Instalation was not done because of NVIDIA Graphic Card, as this card supports only windows vista and xp. Ubuntu is a free and open source software and so it will not support NVIDIA Graphic card. This is where the problem lies

So I want to Install ubuntu 10.10 along with xp. First i have removed NVIDIA Graphic Card on my system and installed ubuntu 10.10. And after installation is over i opned my internet conncetion and i gon to system/Administration you will see 15(fifteen subheadings like disk utitity, Login screen, priting etc..,). In that i have gon to update manager and install updates.

After updating i shutdown my computer and put graphic card (NVIDIA) and started my system

when system start box will open with five options that is
ubuntu with Linux 2.6.35.22 generic
ubuntu with Linux 2.6.35.22 generic(Recovery mode)
Memory test (memtest86+)
memory (memtest 86+, serial console 115200)
microsoft windows xp professional (on/ext/sda1)

go to 2nd option (ubuntu with Linux 2.6.35.22 generic(Recovery mode) and press enter after entering a few seconds later it will ask to enter once again press enter now

after enter you will see Recovery menu box will open with six options

resume resume normal boot

clean Try to make free space

dpkg repair broken packages

failsafex Run infailsafe graphic mode

grub update grub boot

netroot loader drop to root shell prompt with networking

now go to 5th option(grub update grub boot) press enter and later go to 3rd option

now go to 4th option (failsafex Run infailsafe graphic mode ) press enter

now it will open your new ubuntu 10.10 after open your system you have right click on desktop

it will open one window in that goto change desktop back ground option

and now you have to go visual effects

you will find 3 options goto 2nd option that is ( Normal: provides improved usability and good balance between attractiveness and moderate performance requirements). It will take update of your graphic card through internet (inter net connection shoud open on your system) after downloding update system will ask for restart you shoud restrat your system

after restarting system once again your have to go system/administrator now you will see 16 (sixteen) option in that one is new that is NVIDIA Xserver setting

open NVIDIA Xserver setting now after open you have to go
xserver display congiguration you will see model and resolution size (1024X768)

in this way i have installed ubunt 10.10 with NVIDIA GE force FX 5500 graphic card.

Do samething and enjoy now

Allu John Sudhakar
System/Network Administrator
UCE,OU Osmania University
Hyderbad

any help mail to me aj_sudhakar@yahoo.co.in