PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing gnome-art icons but it's not applying proprely

Elie-M
November 7th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I entered to gnome-art, picked 3 icon sets and downloaded them, then opened them with theme installer which installed them on the system. I pick 1 of them, the icons theme switch, but it switches to the gnome default icons. can't seem to find any solution to the situation. any ideas?

Frogs Hair
November 8th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Post a link to the icon set . Some icon sets have instructions for customizing folders and use default folders until you select the folder style you want per the instructions . If the set simply doesn't work I would remove it and reinstall . Download and save the package to downloads , extract it and check for read me files or instructions.

Elie-M
November 9th, 2010, 11:48 AM
http://art.gnome.org/download/themes/icon/1002/ICON-BlankOn.tar.gz

take this for example. the folders icons set changes to the default gnome folders appearance...

Pazystamas
November 9th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Same for me, i tested few icons and it shows only default. I guess its because of icons file names, in gnome tutorials I saw different names then in theme icons file names. Maybe changed in new gnome version?

Frogs Hair
November 10th, 2010, 12:27 AM
They don't work for me either , I did notice they have not been updated for 5 years but is says they use GTK 2.X . :confused:

Elie-M
November 10th, 2010, 10:34 AM
that's very stupid imo..

nosmokenofire
December 27th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Did anyone ever find a solution for this? I have the same problem.

Many thanks.

mcduck
December 27th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Many of the themes in art.gnome.org are very old and use an outdated syntax for the theme definition files and image filenames.

In other words the themes are outdated, unmaintained and don't work any more.

While it's possible to manually go through the theme and rename all the files & edit the index file accordingly, it's quite a work to do. I recommend just forgetting about art.gnome.org and getting your icons from gnome-look.org instead. it's better maintained and has a larger selection of theme files anyway.

nosmokenofire
December 27th, 2010, 05:06 PM
thank you very much Mcduck. Compared to the icons available at gnome-look.org, gnome art seems a bit dated.

All the best.

PS this thread should probably be marked as solved