PDA

View Full Version : Need Surround Sound Advice

marenum
November 7th, 2010, 08:51 PM
My receiver died on my this week so I'm on the market for a replacement. I can't really spend more than $300, so I'm not looking for a knockout, just something decent.

This is what I have now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882676062

The speakers still work, but clearly they're not very good.

I was looking at this receiver:

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR576&class=Receiver&p=i

And this Home Theater:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120167

I planned to buy the first Onkyo, but I'm told that it might blow out the speakers I currently have, so I don't know if I should. I would eventually get new speakers, but not for at least a year.

I'm not very knowledgeable in this area, so I'm just looking for a little input. Does anyone have suggestions? Am I looking in the right direction? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm a little bit out of my element here.

cariboo
November 7th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I'd suggest you go out to the retailers in your area and audition some systems in your price range, before committing to anything. A receiver is something you'll be using for quite a few years, get one that sounds good to you.

CharlesA
November 7th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I'd suggest you go out to the retailers in your area and audition some systems in your price range, before committing to anything. A receiver is something you'll be using for quite a few years, get one that sounds good to you.
This, Definitely.

I've been eyeballing that Onkyo reciever for a while, but no $$$ to get it at this time.

I've got a cheapo home theatre in a box now, but if I had to do it again, I'd get a separate receiver and speakers instead of an all-in-one.

marenum
November 7th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've actually heard the first Onkyo in action, and I was impressed, but I'm mostly concerned with how it will work with those Samsung speakers.

Lancro
November 7th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I use 5.1 speakers, with cable..., Creative ones, they are about 5 years old xD, I wont change them until they stop sounding, and the subwoofer is inmortal, there isnt any creative solution at your price range?, I love creative speakers.

marenum
November 7th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I use 5.1 speakers, with cable..., Creative ones, they are about 5 years old xD, I wont change them until they stop sounding, and the subwoofer is inmortal, there isnt any creative solution at your price range?, I love creative speakers.

I haven't really looked, I've been told to go with Onkyo, but I'm certainly open to other suggestions. I was hoping I could get away with just replacing the receiver for now, however. Speakers are a future project.

CharlesA
November 7th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I've heard Polk speakers are pretty nice. They'd be what I'd get if I was getting a set.

Lancro
November 7th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I haven't really looked, I've been told to go with Onkyo, but I'm certainly open to other suggestions. I was hoping I could get away with just replacing the receiver for now, however. Speakers are a future project.

Well, I think in spain we dont have the same speakers that you can have in USA, so try them before buying.