PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] improve grahics performance

mr.wu
November 7th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Hello

At work, I am stuck with a dell desktop with intel graphics. I first installed 9.0 ubuntu and upgraded to ubuntu 10.04 later. I am unhappy with desktop environment; I use mostly browser to read documentation/news; except for gnome terminals and text in it, every other element of gnome is very bad. In particular, firefox and images in it are horrible. Mostly contrast is horrible that I am now using ghastly high contrast theme.

It's been almost 1 year I am using this desktop and I have a feeling that the situation gets worse; not unlikely that later patches from ubuntu are screwing things up. And there seem to be patches every week.

In years past when I had a desktop based on nvidia chipset I could download driver directly from them; it was much nicer than default open source drivers. At the time I used red hat.

Now I looked (googled) and could not find a page how to solve this problem.

I know it's not the hardware (monitor or gpu) because on booting into windows, firefox and the rest are a lot better but my preference is linux.

I am seriously thinking of switching the whole ubuntu partition to fedora.

Thanks

mr.wu

ajgreeny
November 7th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Which Intel graphics? Without knowing that there is no way anyone can help very much, I'm afraid. Most Intel graphics are extremely good, though recent ubuntu versions have had problems with some chips which can be overcome with a bit of minor work.

mr.wu
November 8th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Windows report 'intel 4 series'

dmesg reports 'Q45/Q43'