PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Karmic Koala AWFUL

OrionXIII
November 7th, 2010, 07:06 PM
My LORD...I had been happily on Jaunty Jackalope until they stopped supporting it so I took the forced upgrade and it's HORRIBLE!

I feel like I'm back in Windows land. Within an hour of my first load I had my very first Ubuntu total-lockup. Just like Windows. In the 18 months I'd been using Jackalope I had not had a single crash. Not one.

It's slow, jerky, and has odd freezes. Just like Windows. Applications randomly stop working and die. Just like Windows.

Is there any way to fall back to Jackalope or is there any hope of them fixing Koala? 'Cause this is wretched.

Ah, I see there's another version out there...10.04.01.LTS. I'll try that. It can't be much worse.

Does anyone have any ideas or tips to get my Ubuntu back to the wonderful crash-free land I used to enjoy??

Orion

uRock
November 7th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Does anyone have any ideas or tips to get my Ubuntu back to the wonderful crash-free land I used to enjoy??

Orion

Back up your data, then clean install 10.04. You won't have to worry about upgrading for a couple of years.

jroa
November 7th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I found that Fedora is fairly crash free, but I will probably get kicked off the forum now. :(

tjandracom
November 7th, 2010, 07:24 PM
uRock: Back up your data, then clean install 10.04. You won't have to worry about upgrading for a couple of years.

Yes, Lucid 10.04 is an LTS, so it will be supported for at least another 5 years. I myself still using Hardy 8.04 for servers, and Lucid for desktop.

OrionXIII
November 7th, 2010, 07:32 PM
If this upgrade that I'm running now doesn't fix it, I'll do just that.

Thank you for the advice! I was CRUSHED when it locked up...

Orion

OrionXIII
November 8th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Ah, the upgrade to Lucid Lynx seems to have resolved the issues.

VERY nice.

Thank you!

Orion

witeshark17
November 8th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Nice to see that it worked out. :popcorn:

P4man
November 8th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Just for the record, its not a particular version of ubuntu that is buggy/unstable whatever, its always a combination of a particular ubuntu version (or just the kernel used in that version) with your particular hardware that may or may not work.

Try not to draw blanket conclusions just because you happen to be the unlucky user plagued by of a bad combination of a kernel with a certain chipset/videocard/bios. These happen with each kernel and each ubuntu version.

bouncingwilf
November 8th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I liked Hardy but was not impressed by Jaunty or Karmic - Lucid on the other hand is the stablest/fastest/neatest OS I've used in many a year. Back up your data and clean install.

Bouncingwilf

cybrsaylr
November 10th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Try not to draw blanket conclusions just because you happen to be the unlucky user plagued by of a bad combination of a kernel with a certain chipset/videocard/bios. These happen with each kernel and each ubuntu version.

Exactly!
I'm still using 64 bit Karmic Koala and love it. It's fast and runs great on my newer PC. I had more bugs when upgrading to Ubuntu 10.10 on my other 2 PCs, which kept me using Karmic on my main PC because Karmic runs so good.

ezsit
November 10th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Same here. I have Karmic running a two desktops and I tried 10.04 and 10.10 but went back to Karmic! 9.10 just hums along without a fault that I may just stick with it till the hardware dies, or another version gets released that has the same solid feeling and bullet-proof performance.