PDA

View Full Version : New Phone?

Hman242
November 7th, 2010, 06:58 AM
My Blackberry got cut off because my carrier merged with another, and instead of getting a plan with another carrier, I plan on getting a new phone. The question is, what should I get? I'm not looking for a phone to just call and text, but to also play my music. I'm wanting my new phone to replace both my Blackberry and my iPod. Because of this, it will need at least 16GB of onboard memory.

The first thing that comes to mind is the iPhone, but AT&T isn't exactly the best carrier that is around. What do you guys think I should get?

Lightstar
November 7th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Motorola Droid, I suggest.

giddyup306
November 7th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Go to my profile and look for the last thread I started. Its about my droid and how much I love it

misfitpierce
November 7th, 2010, 10:04 AM
T-Mobile MyTouch4G if you are in any part of Tmobiles 4G network. Mytouch4G is best android phone atm specs wise... 1Ghz cpu with 768MBram instead of 512MB. Fast android phone you can put 16 or 32GB chip into.

If you dont want Android... Windows Phone 7 looks promising... Altho made by microsoft it actually looks promising... Coming out on TMO and ATT on Nov 8th is the HD7 and such... Soon also the Dell Venue Pro touchscreen phone for TMO with winphone7.

If it has to have lots of memory and you maybe want a android phone instead of iPhone which trust me... is a better choice... Get one of the galaxy phones out for the 4 major carriers... Called by these names ATT-Captivate, TMOBILE-Vibrant, Sprint-Epic, Verizon-Fascinate. The Galaxy phones for ATT and TMO come with 16GB built into the phone + can add another 16GB or 32GB via microSD card slot for a total of up to 48GB!

era86
November 7th, 2010, 10:48 AM
If it has to have lots of memory and you maybe want a android phone instead of iPhone which trust me... is a better choice... Get one of the galaxy phones out for the 4 major carriers... Called by these names ATT-Captivate, TMOBILE-Vibrant, Sprint-Epic, Verizon-Fascinate. The Galaxy phones for ATT and TMO come with 16GB built into the phone + can add another 16GB or 32GB via microSD card slot for a total of up to 48GB!

Imho, the android phones available have horrendus battery life. Playing music on them continuously would drain it so fast it isn't worth carrying that much music anyway. Blackberries have great battery life and expandable memory... The Bold does anyay. And id have to say the same for the iphone.

Giant Speck
November 7th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Well, if your only requirements are calling, texting, and playing music, then you've narrowed down the playing field to every smartphone currently on the market, as well as some dumbphones.

The iPhone is great (even though it's on AT&T), Android is a rising star in the market, and Windows Phone 7 is a promising newcomer. I wouldn't suggest getting another Blackberry, or a Windows phone that runs anything but Windows Phone 7.

MisterGaribaldi
November 7th, 2010, 05:27 PM
If you go Android (which I would recommend) be sure you DO NOT buy a device with a screen smaller than 3.5", as that will be the cut-off for the next major release of Android OS (version 3.0).

Depending on who you go with, carrier-wise, you'll want to check out XDA Developers and/or possibly SDX Developers.

Android has a faster growth rate than Apple, is beating them in market share, and is projected in the next couple years or so to beat the market leader, Nokia, with their Symbion devices.

Android OS allows for LOTS of customizations *without* having to have root user access, but also allows for a lot of further customization, kernel replacement, etc., once you do have root user access.

There are some Android phones (Motorola's older Milestone -- a.k.a. the GSM version of the "Droid") which are designed to keep you from getting root; so be sure to do your homework before buying anything. The two most popular series, HTC's EVO 4G (Sprint only) and Samsung's Galaxy S (multiple carriers) let you get root, are very popular, and seem to fit a broad number of users' tastes.

Hman242
November 7th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Imho, the android phones available have horrendus battery life. Playing music on them continuously would drain it so fast it isn't worth carrying that much music anyway. Blackberries have great battery life and expandable memory... The Bold does anyay. And id have to say the same for the iphone.
I didn't know about poor battery life on Androids, thanks for that information. I want a phone with plenty of memory already one the phone though. I like being able to expand my memory, but I want it to come with at least 16GB already on the phone.

Well, if your only requirements are calling, texting, and playing music, then you've narrowed down the playing field to every smartphone currently on the market, as well as some dumbphones.

I was only naming some examples off the top of my head :P I like to also use my phone for internet(websites, IMing, etc) and the occasional game as well.

I'm also open to any carriers if you guys have an recommendations.

waloshin
November 7th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Check out any Android Phone as long as it's not Sasmung.

TCHebb
November 7th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I have a Droid Incredible, and it has fairly good battery life as long as you're not running any badly-written background apps (I found that Meebo IM had been killing my battery liife). I would definitely recommend some sort of Android phone. Also, keep in mind that the iPhone is likely to have poor Linux support.

aysiu
November 7th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Because of this, it will need at least 16GB of onboard memory. Any reason in particular it has to be onboard? If you get any Android phone, it will not have 16 GB of onboard memory, but it'll usually have an 8 GB or 16 GB MicroSD card that can be expanded up to 32 GB.

NCLI
November 7th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I didn't know about poor battery life on Androids, thanks for that information.
Android phones don't have bad battery life, not more so than similarly specced smartphones running on other OS'. Just charge it when you go to bed and you'll be fine.

Hman242
November 7th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Any reason in particular it has to be onboard? If you get any Android phone, it will not have 16 GB of onboard memory, but it'll usually have an 8 GB or 16 GB MicroSD card that can be expanded up to 32 GB.
Well, as long as it come with 16GB I will happy. It doesn't necessarily need to be onboard, it could come with a MicroSD. Some of the phones I've been looking at actually come with a 16GB MicroSD, like the HD2 I list below.

The Androids I've been looking have been pretty appealing. I'm currently looking at the HTC and Motorola Droid phones.