PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista Build 5361 screenshots leaked

BoyOfDestiny
April 17th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Dunno if this has been posted yet.

This one looks like xgl + compiz + gdesklets, seriously.
http://www.win-news.de/screenshots/show_screen.php?wall_id=147

Here is the gallery,

http://www.win-news.de/screenshots/screen_catid,9.html

IMHO it's like "we" can already do that, and why would someone do that...

/me hugs gnome.

christhemonkey
April 17th, 2006, 01:31 PM
I like the way it says "this gadget cannot get your feeds", *loves his gnome*

helpme
April 17th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Hm, it's of course hard to judge by only looking at some screenshots, but I actually think it looks quite nice.

Certainly an improvement to XP imho.

bonzodog
April 17th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I already have all that eye candy with xfwm.....(The dapper release has a new compositor engine, and does all the translucent stuff)

Squalor
April 17th, 2006, 01:41 PM
That is the most bloated OS in history. :-#

DigitalDuality
April 17th, 2006, 01:44 PM
have you used it or just saying that by default?

truNWA
April 17th, 2006, 02:15 PM
have you used it or just saying that by default?

He's just saying that by default.... but IMO it looks pretty good for a windows release.

Derek Djons
April 17th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Well, to me it looks as a reasonable Windows XP replacement since I still don't have my Mac. But I've heared that the requirments for the OS are a bit heavy. So I'm wondering which features will be truely usefull and which of them will justify the drastical amping up of requirments.

Because why upgrading expensive hardware when you can install GNU/Linux distro's which are very little demanding?

Paulus
April 17th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Damm, looks quite majestic. I really want a blur plugin for compiz now!! The other beta ran like crap, I suspect all the eye candy is at a real cost... Unlike Xgl+compiz. I see M$ have really gone for the shiny look, literally polished.

wouterommeslag
April 17th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Those transparant windows are nice, can you do that with Gnome / Breezy?

truNWA
April 17th, 2006, 02:37 PM
I think you should be able to with Dapper

Paulus
April 17th, 2006, 02:40 PM
You can, not by default but you can with xcompmgr and compiz.. and not with the blurred background, though it's rumered to be being worked on inside compiz. Which should be nice, plus you can get the clock through mac-slow's cairo-clock in dapper.

Stormy Eyes
April 17th, 2006, 02:41 PM
My cat is not impressed, and neither am I.

DigitalDuality
April 17th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Well, to me it looks as a reasonable Windows XP replacement since I still don't have my Mac. But I've heared that the requirments for the OS are a bit heavy. So I'm wondering which features will be truely usefull and which of them will justify the drastical amping up of requirments.

Because why upgrading expensive hardware when you can install GNU/Linux distro's which are very little demanding?

The requirements for Aero Glass theme are no different than the default for OS X. The difference is when you buy a Mac, you pay for the hardware to support it.

Vista's Basic will not have Aero Glass even installed and it will run on lesser machines.

Paulus
April 17th, 2006, 11:11 PM

man thats such a great thing to say!

Legend!:twisted:

SeanTater
April 17th, 2006, 11:16 PM
I think that's the most builds I've ever seen of an OS: By the time it's released it will be "Windows Vista build #56.9*(10^56)"!

fuscia
April 17th, 2006, 11:42 PM
it looks like it should have a meaningful saying in the corner. yuk!

DoktorSeven
April 17th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Personally I can't stand the look of all these screenshots I've seen of Vista. I'm not sure if it's just the general color scheme, the background that seems to seep through to the window color rather than simply being transparent, the strange gradient colors on the side and top of some of the tool windows, or that some of the colors just seem to clash with others.

Yeah, I'm sure there are other color schemes you can switch to, but this scheme is just ugly to me. I'm not trying to just be anti-Windows here (I liked the simple default colors of Win2k and previous) -- but I'm just not liking this look.

Guess it's partially because I like simple. My dark fluxbox desktop in Linux is proof of that.

rfruth
April 17th, 2006, 11:57 PM
The big question in my mind is can they beef up security while maintaining ease of use ?

Stormy Eyes
April 18th, 2006, 12:16 AM
The big question in my mind is can they beef up security while maintaining ease of use ?

What ease of use? I think they'd have trouble enough beefing up security without also trying to make a Windows that stays out of your way instead of making you deal with wizard after wizard.

pulver
April 18th, 2006, 01:09 AM
that's some bloated crap... now what of this crap could possibly be nice to have in gnome? i'd say the glowing button hover effect that light up the area outside the window border. also, and this has nothing to do with vista, a more skinnable menu (besides the transparency) would be nice. also rounded corners for window borders should be more smooth (maybe that's already taken care of with xgl?). people are saying what's glowing buttons compared to wobbly windows, but that's not the point.

Ob1
April 18th, 2006, 01:24 AM
reminds me of Mac os X.

LoclynGrey
April 18th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Looks like some nice eye candy. (reminds me of Macs)
Problem is that it's still the same driving force behind it as win xp,2k,me,98,95.
I dont think you can hide behind pretty screens to get sales, reliability and acceptance.

Jedeye
April 18th, 2006, 01:46 AM
the blur behind the transparency is cool other than that its just ok.

K.Mandla
April 18th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Your cat is the coolest. ...

Iandefor
April 18th, 2006, 02:02 AM
Dunno if this has been posted yet.

This one looks like xgl + compiz + gdesklets, seriously.
http://www.win-news.de/screenshots/show_screen.php?wall_id=147

Not really. It has widgets, but widgets are hardly a Linux-only feature.
And I'd like to see a transparent window done up like that in xgl/compiz. Oh, and there aren't any Linux desktops that have the live preview over the taskbar icon.

IMHO it's like "we" can already do that, and why would someone do that... Because they're tacky? Aero is seriously one of the most overdone interfaces I've ever seen.

gonçalo
April 18th, 2006, 02:08 AM
I find that a bit tacky. And old.

super
April 18th, 2006, 02:52 AM
so are those widget things gonna be on the actual desktop? or are they triggered via a hotkey a la osx dashboard widgets.

personally, i think having them on the actual desktop does not make much sense. except maybe the clock, and only in the absence of a clock on the panels.

GreyFox503
April 18th, 2006, 06:58 AM
I'm surprised at a generally negative or apathic reaction. I'm not going to lie: those screenshots look slick. Pretty dang slick, for lack of a more crude term. The transparency, the blurring, the shading... don't deny it.

If you honestly think the interface on looks alone is bad, that's fine. But I think it's something to shoot for. I've seen some pretty good looking screenshots of Ubuntu Dapper. Combine that with XGL/Compiz, and we're most of the way there. We still need a sweet black glossy theme like that.

I'm not endorsing Vista, nor do I plan on buying/using it. But you have to admit that Microsoft knows what sells: sex, err... I mean eye candy.

On a completely unrelated note, check out this screenshot:
http://screenshots.win-news.net:81/vista_5361_5.jpg

It's a cool example of a window with a transparent/blurred edge. But also note: they are now referring to IE as "Windows Internet Explorer", as opposed to "Microsoft Internet Explorer". In both the title bar and the about screen.

For some reason, that threw me off and caught my attention. Any reason for this move?

Iandefor
April 18th, 2006, 07:02 AM
If you honestly think the interface on looks alone is bad, that's fine. But I think it's something to shoot for. I've seen some pretty good looking screenshots of Ubuntu Dapper. Combine that with XGL/Compiz, and we're most of the way there. We still need a sweet black glossy theme like that. Agreed. One part of Aeroglass I like: the glossy black.

jeremy
April 18th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Pretty enough, but what about security?

IYY
April 18th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Looks much better than XP, but still no OS X or Gnome with Compiz. The blur effect would be nice to play around with, but I'd never actually use it on a day-to-day basis.

SeanTater
April 18th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Here is the problem: Most people I know could not care less if the desktop looks pretty.. They would like someone to wave a magic wand and have everything work.
Then they would like to get about their business. The only thing needed to bring 99.999% of the people I know is to have:
A web browser that's fast, secure, can view every web page in existence and they want thier favorites. The rest are just bonuses.
IMO, the email has been pretty conquered, as long as you go for thunderbird (kmail is still a little quirky)..
After that, OO needs to keep going on it's way.
When you are done with those, you only need to open the floodgates by telling people.

Gijith
April 18th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Really beautiful stuff from Microsoft. I like that they're learning to see the desktop as a more realistic environment, like plates of floating glass with lights shining through them. IMHO, ahead of gnome, kde and Mac OS, but probably not for long.

Zodiac
April 18th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Really beautiful stuff from Microsoft. I like that they're learning to see the desktop as a more realistic environment, like plates of floating glass with lights shining through them. IMHO, ahead of gnome, kde and Mac OS, but probably not for long.

I agree. I think it looks very nice.

Sparkalo
April 18th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Old Gates has definetly made strides since Luna!

My favourite feature by far though, has got to be that nice little blue feedback button in the upper right hand corner of the desktop :) ! I wonder if that's going to be on every Vista desktop by default. Imagine getting to read some of that feedback. I for one would love to be able to read everything that users complain/give feedback about.

Well, I'm content with my gnome for now, but I'd love to demo it...especially the feedback button

Zodiac
April 18th, 2006, 09:55 PM
So much of that user feedback is inane, stupid and contradictory it would make your damn head spin.

red_Marvin
April 18th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Is it possible to make the "window" area and it's borders etc. transparent but it's child widgets not, in xgl/compiz, or is it only possible to make the whole window homogenously transparent?

not28
April 19th, 2006, 12:29 AM
About two years ago I heard that the jump from XP to Vista will be as large as the jump from 3.1 to 95. Now it just seems like XP is trying to imitate OS X.

Proof here. (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4134446112378047444&q=microsoft&pl=true)

No doubt Microsoft wants to be innovative but they just don't have the balls to stray from their already tried-and-true methods. They may dominate the market but they'll never live up to the innovation of OS X and Linux.

cvcaelen
April 19th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Here is the problem: Most people I know could not care less if the desktop looks pretty

Agree !!!

here at work, and my friends lots of them are still looking at "teletubby-land"
(default settings for XP)
They do not care for back-grounds, themes and stuff
It just needs to work (besides they do not even have a clue how to change the "eye-candy" so they just stick with the default)

It is my opinion that the majority of people will not care => it just will have to work

Christiaan

acidphex
May 10th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Is there such a thing as plagiarism in the computer science world?

RavenOfOdin
May 10th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Is there such a thing as plagiarism in the computer science world?

Heck yes.

Its called "IP (intellectual property) theft."

Anyway, I saw some screenshots of Vista in this month's issue of Smart Computing . They didn't impress me at all.

mustang
May 10th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Can't say desktop appearance is important to me but damn that looks pretty.

commodore
May 10th, 2006, 05:37 PM
It does look pretty. Too bad they didn't invent it themselves.

Immaculate
May 10th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Looks amazing. Too bad amazing looks arnt worth it if it takes up so much resources.