PDA

View Full Version : Convince my mom to let me use linux

Jforce93
November 6th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a macbook and an iBook G4. The MacBook runs OS X 10.6, the iBook runs Debian squeeze. I prefer the MacBook, just because it is sleeker, the speakers don't suck, faster, better battery life etc.. But I also really like linux. I could frankly care less what my Mom uses, if she wants to use netbsd on a apple newton (I bet it's possible!) then she can be my guest (actually, my last years English teacher knew a guy in high school who ran early builds of linux on one), so I'm not gonna try to push her to use linux, if linux was on any of our computers it would dual boot with OS X (except the iBook, but she never uses the ibook). Anyway, point of this post was, I wanna put either Fedora, openSUSE or Ubuntu on my MacBook (most likely Fedora), as a dual boot, but she wont let me. When I ask her why she won't let me, she just says "Because I said so". I think it's partly because some idiot at the apple store told her that Linux can ruin data on the computer. Actually, it can, but I'd have to do that on purpose, I'd have to reformat the hard drive, or play with Gparted or Qtparted. So anyway, do you think trying to convince her to let me use it is a lost cause, or is there still a glimmer of hope in some advice that someone could give me?

Thanks,

Jordan

P.S. Have an awesome weekend!

P.S.S. I know what the hell I'm doing on Linux and computers in general. So don't be afraid to say techy stuff. My blog (jforce93.wordpress.com)

JaradT
November 6th, 2010, 10:34 PM
You can show her Ubuntu on a virtual machine. Here are some examples of software for your Mac that can run Windows, Linux, anything as long as you install it/have a hard disk file for it.

VirtualBox (the best program for this purpose)
VMware Fusion
Parallels (have some old computers? buy the switch to mac edition and back your windows computers up instantly :grin:)

She's obviously computer-illiterate, though... Anyway, show her the fact you can use a Live CD using the virtualization software.
Also, you're very lucky to have an Apple product. :(

Windows Vista stopped letting me use my mouse that worked for a few months (Vista sucks :mad:) so I installed Ubuntu and it is beautiful.

Also, is your dad there? You could talk to him.

t4thfavor
November 6th, 2010, 10:37 PM
LOL if mom says no, as dad while hes watching football.

No seriously though, I have dual booted with windows for years, and while data loss is possible. It is most of the time unlikely. Make sure you image the hdd to an external drive, and then you have much less risk.

Show her the livedc, and the Ubuntu site where it talks about how the livecd makes no changes to your existing install.

MacOS is nice, but if you can make a valid case, she should allow you to use whatever you want.

howefield
November 6th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Not a support request, moved to Cafe.

Verbeck
November 6th, 2010, 10:44 PM
install ubuntu then make it look like a mac
you might actually get away with it

Linux_junkie
November 6th, 2010, 10:47 PM
If its your moms computer she has the right to decide on the OS you don't and if she says no then its no. Buy another computer for yourself if you want to use Linux.

undecim
November 6th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Can Macs not boot from USB drives?

Anduu
November 6th, 2010, 11:03 PM
If its your moms computer she has the right to decide on the OS you don't and if she says no then its no. Buy another computer for yourself if you want to use Linux.

^^ This.

NCLI
November 6th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Sounds like it's his computer. Besides, even if it is hers, "because I said so" is NEVER a valid argument.

dh04000
November 6th, 2010, 11:08 PM
^^ This.

^^This.

Go on NEWEGG.com and buy a book shelf PC and run ubuntu off of it. Buy the dual core atom models with 1GB ram and >100 GB harddrive. Use your tv as an monitor using s-video and grab a cheap keyboard and mouse from radio shack or the old fossil from the closet.

Brandel Valico
November 6th, 2010, 11:15 PM
It is a valid argument if the parents own it. Contrary to popular belief by kids in the last 10 to 20 years. Unless you have a job and bought the stuff yourself. You don't really own it.

Now if the OP does own the computer. (He paid for it via money he earned) Then I agree it's not a valid argument and he should be able to do whatever he wants to with it.

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
November 6th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Respect other people's property.
Respect your parents' authority.

cgroza
November 6th, 2010, 11:37 PM

Your username is too long. I agree.

aschwerin.moses
November 6th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Install it on a USB drive.:guitar:

medic2000
November 7th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Hey man it's YOUR computer. Why don't you just gparted it and install Ubuntu anyway?

And there is a thing which is very important that your install of Ubuntu won't effect anything besides dual-booting and a little space for OS X. Mom's doesnt know anything about computers(generally of course). So her complaints are invalid. She doesn't even know what will happen? And doesn't she cares about your needs, happiness in this matter?

Spr0k3t
November 7th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Have her read this thread at the forums.

1. Nothing will happen to the mac side of things.
2. Every computer should have multiple operating systems on it for safety/security reasons.
3. If the computer isn't yours, too bad, build your own.

Artemis Fowl
November 7th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Education (not from idiotic computer stores[Best Buy comes to mind], reputable sources or computer stores) is a powerful influence. Educate her from websites showing how improbable data loss is. Ultimately, if it's her computer, she makes the decision. That does not mean you can not influence it, however.

On a completely different note, I'm lucky enough to have a mom who supports the idea of linux, though I originally found it.

Anduu
November 7th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Besides, even if it is hers, "because I said so" is NEVER a valid argument.

When it comes to ones parents this is the ONLY argument that counts.

Hman242
November 7th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Dual-boot the two OSs and your problem will be solved.

When it comes to ones parents this is the ONLY argument that counts.
Hahaha, yes. +1

73ckn797
November 7th, 2010, 03:40 AM

This is sorely lacking these days.

Jforce93
November 7th, 2010, 04:31 AM
If there was a valid reason like "The hard drive is too small" or something else (I honestly can't think of another valid and possible reason) it wouldn't bother me. Or if I was trying to force her to use it. But "Because I said so" is crap, and whenever she (or ANY parent) makes that argument it becomes more of an issue of principle than technology.

Anyway, it was a birthday present. Just because she bought it doesn't mean she owns it, if you give a gift to someone it is theirs in it's entirety. At least in a perfect world.

Danny Dubya
November 7th, 2010, 04:59 AM
If there was a valid reason like "The hard drive is too small" or something else (I honestly can't think of another valid and possible reason) it wouldn't bother me. Or if I was trying to force her to use it. But "Because I said so" is crap, and whenever she (or ANY parent) makes that argument it becomes more of an issue of principle than technology.

Anyway, it was a birthday present. Just because she bought it doesn't mean she owns it, if you give a gift to someone it is theirs in it's entirety. At least in a perfect world.
This is probably going to sound crazy, but if your iBook works just fine for you, if you don't really need the MacBook, and you're that bothered by her reaction... I suggest that you refuse her false gift, and give it back to her.

Khakilang
November 7th, 2010, 05:00 AM
She created you so she owns you. She bought the computer so she own the computer. There is nothing much you can do. Unless you build or buy your own. Maybe you can salvage from old computer an install linux and show her what it can do.

cariboo
November 7th, 2010, 05:03 AM
My feeling is that if you are respectful enough to ask, you should also respect her answer.

Timmer1240
November 7th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Ah hell Ide just put it on anyhow when she is not around I never listened to my parents too well.Whats the worst they can do they cant kill you for it right!

Khakilang
November 7th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Ah hell Ide just put it on anyhow when she is not around I never listened to my parents too well.Whats the worst they can do they cant kill you for it right!

You are grounded. No TV, no computer and no comic book. Now go to your room and stay there.

v1ad
November 7th, 2010, 05:54 AM
ye put it on without her knowing. if i remember correctly u need to press a special key to boot into a secondary OS in macs.

and knowing moms,
1. someone else knows better.
2. She is always right.
3. because i said so, is a valid reason.
4. even if they don't know what they are talking about, they are still right because someone told them so, or because they just are...

NightwishFan
November 7th, 2010, 06:15 AM
You are grounded. No TV, no computer and no comic book. Now go to your room and stay there.

Win! :D

chessnerd
November 7th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Because of the length, I'm going to break down my points into sections.

The "because I said so" argument:

"Because I said so" is a tough pill for most young people to swallow (myself included, as I'm only 19) but as I've gotten older, I've started to see more and more that the phrase generally has complex reasons behind it that are often valid and real, but are simply hard to articulate. Your mother may simply have a hard time explaining why she doesn't want you to install Linux. She may not even fully understand the reasons herself, but that doesn't mean that they aren't real concerns. It may simply be a matter of giving her enough time to explain herself. It may not.

Your property:

If this was a gift to you, then it is yours to do with as you please. Your parent has no more claim on it than on clothing or games that they have purchased for you. So you can do what you want to it. However...

Don't ignore your parent:

I am going to suggest that you should not simply circumvent your parent's will. If you do that, she will probably be very upset if/when she finds out. At that moment, you will lose some of the trust and respect that she has given to you, which is far more valuable than a free operating system.

I'm not saying that you always have to do everything that she says, but I am saying that she is not out to get you. She is trying to help you, in her own way, and really does have your best interests at heart. Work to understand her reasons and, if you still think that you really are right, then you should try to convince her.

Convincing your mother:

If you think the issue is that she doesn't understand, sit her down and calmly explain your points.

Don't make the mistake, however, of assuming that just because a person doesn't understand technology that they are somehow less intelligent or are ignorant. (I've made this mistake in the past and there have been consequences.) Your mother has a lot more life experience than you do, she just hasn't spent as much time dealing with computers and operating systems in depth.

When explaining technology to my mother, I've often tried to use analogies and simple examples to help her understand complex ideas (like the difference between RAM and hard drive space). That may help in this case, it may not. I don't know your mother.

If/when you do talk with her, make sure you listen well. DO NOT belittle her concerns. Address them as if they were strong arguments (even if you are sure they are not). Treating her points with respect, and calmly working her through the problems that she sees, will make her far more likely to see things your way. If you just shout her down, she'll stop listening to you.

Know that winning a debate isn't simply about making your argument logical and reasonable. It is about addressing her concerns and sharing your own.

Respect people:

I was going to say "respect your parent" but this applies to everyone you ever have a disagreement with. Always respect them. As soon as you start making yourself out to be better, wiser, stronger, smarter, etc. the other person will not listen anymore. If you show them respect, they will be more likely to do the same for you.

There is a delicate balance between being aggressive and being assertive. Be assertive, not aggressive.

Good luck and let us know how this turns out.

Anduu
November 7th, 2010, 06:50 AM
The argument that she gave it to him so it is his to do with as he pleases is invalid.

He is a minor and she is the parent.She has very right to say what he can and cannot do with it.

cwklinuxguy
November 7th, 2010, 06:56 AM
I say if the machine belongs to YOU and not your mom, do whatever the heck you want with it! It's YOUR computer, which means you have the right to use it in the way that you wish. If you want Linux, just do it! And quite honestly some of the "Desktop Cube" effects and all of the ability for customization really beat the crap out of MY MacBook in terms of flexibility and stuff :P

NightwishFan
November 7th, 2010, 07:06 AM
The argument that she gave it to him so it is his to do with as he pleases is invalid.

He is a minor and she is the parent.She has very right to say what he can and cannot do with it.

I agree with this. I think legally at least this is true. As they are also responsible for damages you do.

EDIT:

Its best to listen to your mom, you're still young don't ruin your trust with her and please don't listen to these people telling you to go against her orders. You can act spoiled or be an appreciative kid, your lucky to even have a mac.

This is true. Growing up my computer had 128mb of RAM. :) When I finally had money to buy a "modern" computer with 895mb of RAM, it was already too slow with vista. :( Though I hear you, I would rather use Ubuntu than OSX if someone dropped a Mac in my lap.

m4tic
November 7th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Its best to listen to your mom, you're still young don't ruin your trust with her and please don't listen to these people telling you to go against her orders. You can act spoiled or be an appreciative kid, your lucky to even have a mac.

nlsthzn
November 7th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Wish my parents had bought me a Mac... even any computer really... be thankful, appreciate what you have (in both the Mac and your Mother)...

chessnerd
November 7th, 2010, 07:26 AM

Even have a Mac? He's lucky to even have a laptop, cell phone, mp3 player, or any other personal, portable, technological device. He's lucky to get a laptop as a gift. I had to buy my first and second laptop with my own money (some of which was gift money, yes, but some of that money was earned) and I didn't have a cell phone until I was 18 and bought one with my own money.

I agree with you. Ruining the trust of your parent by disobeying them is a severe mistake that I have made and have had to watch others make. In the end, it isn't worth it.

However, people can make rash decisions, and, since parents are people, they can make them too. I would never condone making such an assumption simply because a person doesn't agree with their parent of course, but this does mean that parents can be spoken to about their decisions. The key, though, is going into that conversation in a way that is respectful and mindful of the fact that the person you are talking to has much more life experience than you do.

And as corny as this sounds, he's very lucky to have a parent that cares enough about him to question what he is doing.

lisati
November 7th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I concur with those who recommend that you should be respectful to your mum, and that you should be thankful that you have a computer. I'm confident that you'll be able to get things worked out peacefully.

Back in the day when I was a teenager, having a calculator was a big deal, and having a computer at home was a rare thing.

Oxwivi
November 7th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Okay, this thread is way beyond useless to the OP. I suggest asking her if there's some particular feature she'd miss on anything other than Mac, and show her it is there for Linux too.

Oxwivi
November 7th, 2010, 07:49 AM

Nothing the OP mentioned said suggests he's a minor. Just because someone is trying to convince their mom doesn't mean he's a kid. Please don't assume things at your own convenience.

nlsthzn
November 7th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Nothing the OP mentioned said suggests he's a minor. Just because someone is trying to convince their mom doesn't mean he's a kid. Please don't assume things at your own convenience.

lol

Elfy
November 7th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Well the thread has gone from one extreme to the other. From do as you're told to do as you wish. The happy medium will be somewhere between the two - it's your mother - you deal with it.

It's not going to go anywhere else but round and round - closed.