PDA

View Full Version : You gotta love it :-)

mistypotato
November 6th, 2010, 09:30 PM
So I'm 95% done downloading Ubuntu 10.04 iso and about 2hrs plus into the download with no warning,..I get logged out of my account and have to log back in.

Of course, the download (about 650MB worth) is gone :KS:KS:KS:KS:KS

I get to start over.

:guitar:

howefield
November 6th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Not a support request. Moved to Cafe.

You might want to try downloading via a torrent.

Verbeck
November 6th, 2010, 09:39 PM
try the torrent next time

I'mGeorge
November 6th, 2010, 09:45 PM
or use a browser that allows you to download the rest from where you have been interrupted.

Yvan300
November 6th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Rule of thumb .....when downloading large files use a download manager that allows resuming downloads :)

coffeecat
November 6th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Or use wget -c from the terminal. I always do. You can interrupt a download and resume it later even from a different server if you want.

Your story reminds me of my early days with Linux. I was downloading a DVD ISO with a Windows laptop and left it to its own devices. After an hour or so, it decided that since nothing much was happening (apart from an active download) it would go into sleep mode. Which it did.

mistypotato
November 6th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Or use wget -c from the terminal. I always do. You can interrupt a download and resume it later even from a different server if you want.

Your story reminds me of my early days with Linux. I was downloading a DVD ISO with a Windows laptop and left it to its own devices. After an hour or so, it decided that since nothing much was happening (apart from an active download) it would go into sleep mode. Which it did.

Love your avatars Coffee & Yvan :KS

I didn't get a chance to "Pause" the download....it was going one second then gone the next.

What I needed is something that will continue the download after restarting the computer even if power is suddenly lost in the middle of downloading...or in this case...95% done

FuturePilot
November 6th, 2010, 11:19 PM
I thought most browsers allowed you to resume downloads.

mistypotato
November 7th, 2010, 03:08 AM
I thought most browsers allowed you to resume downloads.

Only if you Pause it...if the browser just closes or the computer reboots....no

_outlawed_
November 7th, 2010, 03:10 AM

Don't blame it on Windows, it's your fault for not making the proper adjustments to the power settings.

mmix
November 7th, 2010, 03:44 AM
next time, ubuntu 10.10 and torrent.

mistypotato
November 7th, 2010, 03:10 PM
next time, ubuntu 10.10 and torrent.

Can you tell me more about Torrent as used under Ubuntu?

for example....which one best for Ubuntu? Security?

NCLI
November 7th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Can you tell me more about Torrent?

Which one best for Ubuntu? Security?
Transmission is installed by default in Ubuntu. You can read up on what a torrent is here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_%28protocol%29). ;)

coffeecat
November 7th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Don't blame it on Windows, it's your fault for not making the proper adjustments to the power settings.

Where did I say that I blamed Windows? Trying to tell me what is and what isn't my fault is simply discourteous.

mistypotato
November 7th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Where did I say that I blamed Windows? Trying to tell me what is and what isn't my fault is simply discourteous.

The Cat is correct.

CoffeeCat wasn't blaming anything....just recounting a similar situation.

My, my the Internet sure can foster misunderstandings :P

mistypotato
November 7th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Transmission is installed by default in Ubuntu. You can read up on what a torrent is here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_%28protocol%29). ;)

My fault for a vague question.

I know what Torrent is....

Just never used it under Ubuntu yet...so I was asking for favorites and pointers specific to Ubuntu use. :)

Oxwivi
November 7th, 2010, 05:06 PM
It works simply great out of the box. Just run the frekain' torrent and you're good to go.

Oxwivi
November 7th, 2010, 05:08 PM
By the way, to keep it running in the background, you should enable the icon for the notification area, it's not enabled by default. Otherwise, the whole process will end if you press the close button.

FuturePilot
November 7th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Only if you Pause it...if the browser just closes or the computer reboots....no

Ah.

mistypotato
November 7th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Ah.

At least with Firefox.

If I'm wrong I welcome an education :KS

CharlesA
November 7th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Firefox has a download manager, if you close the browser, it just pauses the download.

Open it back up and hit Ctrl + J to see yer downloads.

mistypotato
November 7th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Firefox has a download manager, if you close the browser, it just pauses the download.

Open it back up and hit Ctrl + J to see yer downloads.

Gosh darn if mine had done that this thread would never have been started.

None of the above happened yesterday when I lost my download. I have no clue what happened but as the download neared completion, I was logged out as a user and had to log back in....I was somewhat hopeful the download was still going...but it wasn't. It ended when I was logged out....and was unrecoverable.

Is download manager a plug in or comes with every install of FF?

I'm using 3.6.11

So with your FF, any time you start a download (no matter how you start it) it will continue the download no matter how the browser is closed be it accidentally, power failure etc if you go back in and "restart it?
That sounds great! How do I get MINE to do that trick?

What version of FF are you using?

Ctrl + J does nothing in my FF :confused:

CharlesA
November 7th, 2010, 08:15 PM
3.6.12. If you look under tools there should be a menu for downloads.

mistypotato
November 7th, 2010, 08:21 PM
3.6.12. If you look under tools there should be a menu for downloads.

Hi,

Yes, it's there but mine works nothing like you describe yours.

Are these features new to 3.6.12 or is my FF broken ??

thx

PS

I'm wondering if there's a setting that turns on/off some functionality and mine is currently set to off?

CharlesA
November 7th, 2010, 08:23 PM
They've always worked that way for me since FF3. Maybe it's cuz I've been using the download statusbar addon.

I'll check it out when I get home.

mistypotato
November 7th, 2010, 08:26 PM
They've always worked that way for me since FF3. Maybe it's cuz I've been using the download statusbar addon.

I'll check it out when I get home.

Ok,

An add on would make sense :P

I never knew FF to be that smart out of the box....although I love it and it's my browser of choice.

CharlesA
November 8th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I just tested it on Maverick and it works for me with no add ons.

Looks like the hotkey is different - Ctrl + Shift + Y.

It was able to resume the download even after rebooting.

mistypotato
November 9th, 2010, 01:10 AM
I just updated FF to 3.6.12

Maybe that will make a difference.

All I know is I lost about 640MB (about 2 hours) worth of bandwidth and time because FF could not or did not properly resume the download.

Now that you say it "should" have, I'm a bit less happy with FF :confused:

I forgave it because I figured it was typical that you would lose your download if it was interrupted and you didn't intentionally pause it.. I'll try it with test download and see what happens now that I updated.

MasterNetra
November 9th, 2010, 04:18 AM
My fault for a vague question.

I know what Torrent is....

Just never used it under Ubuntu yet...so I was asking for favorites and pointers specific to Ubuntu use. :)

Ubuntu comes with a torrent program (Transmission) if you want to download privately (for whatever reason) Deluge set to fully encrypt works. Also Anomos is supposed to be even better, but its still consider experimental.
Deluge though is in the repository by default so just open up software center find it and install.

However Transmission should meet your needs as is.

Windows: utorrent, lightweight and have had no issues when I used it back in meh window days. Deluge & Anomos installs into windows too.