PDA

View Full Version : Bash on smartphones

geo909
November 6th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Hello everybody,

Do you know if there is any smartphone where I could use bash? I mean, having a terminal application that can run every command line program for linux?

Probably a naive question, but I now absolutely nothing about smartphones.

Thanks in advance.

amitabhishek
November 6th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Yes. Nokia N900 or Android phones with Cyanogenmod ROMs.

geo909
November 6th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Thanks, that sounds good!

So, this has a perfectly working terminal emulator? Should I expect to have some issues or every terminal app that works for my computer should work there?

Again, sorry if I ask something obvious.

Duncan J Murray
November 6th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Well the N900 doesn't have the repositories of ubuntu - so, for example, I haven't got Mutt working properly on it yet (I can't send email on it!).

Duncan.

Sporkman
November 6th, 2010, 08:32 PM
There are SSH clients for the iPhone that you can use to remotely log into other machines (& then use their bash sessions).

ve4cib
November 6th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Well the N900 doesn't have the repositories of ubuntu - so, for example, I haven't got Mutt working properly on it yet (I can't send email on it!).

Duncan.

I don't remember if Ubuntu has repositories for ARM-based systems (like the N900), but you should be able to add Debian's repositories and fetch whatever you need from there at the very least.

So, this has a perfectly working terminal emulator? Should I expect to have some issues or every terminal app that works for my computer should work there?

Well, not every terminal app will necessarily work as you'd expect. The N900, for example, uses an ARM processor, so you can't just copy over your i386 or amd64 binaries and expect them to work. But provided you can find an ARM-compatible version, you should be able to run it. Or if it's written in an interpreted language (like Python), or a bytecode-interpreted language (like Java) you should be able to run it without any problems.

If you've got the source code you can cross-compile for ARM as a last-resort, assuming you can't find it on any repositories.

NCLI
November 6th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Yes. Nokia N900 or Android phones with Cyanogenmod ROMs.
Any Android phone can run bash, you don't even need root.

geo909
November 8th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks for your replies, guys! Good to know.

conundrumx
November 8th, 2010, 05:58 PM
The N900 is the only "real" Linux phone you can get your hands on right now. Android toes the line.