PDA

View Full Version : Unity I don't understand it yet.

ade234uk
November 6th, 2010, 09:54 AM
OK I tried Unity. My first thoughts where, oh no where is my desktop.
I am open to try new things, its what makes Ubuntu great.

However how do you transfer one file from one folder to another?
How can I open two applications and put the windows side by side?

I just don't get it yet. I don't see how this is more productive, but I have faith in Ubuntu and will go with the flow whatever they do. In the end you get used to change.

At the end of the day its the best OS in the world for me and should not really complain since it's free.

Yownanymous
November 6th, 2010, 10:01 AM
At the end of the day its the best OS in the world for me and should not really complain since it's free.
Honestly Ubuntu is not the best distribution by far. The designers behind the large number of recent crass decisions should really all be removed from the project and replaced by people who'll think about function. And if someone urinated in a cup and gave you it, telling you it was "free", surely you'd complain. The fact that Ubuntu is free doesn't excuse it from being criticised.

NightwishFan
November 6th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Quite so, though I would expect them to criticise facts. I quite agree Unity in 10.10 is not the best interface though it does have it's good things. Here are some answers about the future of Unity:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/10693/how-closely-will-unity-follow-the-desktop-version-specification/11158#11158

There are more links and many threads about this. I know a little bit about Unity from what Mark Shuttleworth has said so I can perhaps give some mildly specific answers if you want. There are many answered questions on askubuntu.com:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/tagged/unity

kerry_s
November 6th, 2010, 10:34 AM
OK I tried Unity. My first thoughts where, oh no where is my desktop.
I am open to try new things, its what makes Ubuntu great.

I just don't get it yet. I don't see how this is more productive, but I have faith in Ubuntu and will go with the flow whatever they do. In the end you get used to change.

click on the trash can & pin the file manager.
you can open the same app from the application icon.

Paqman
November 6th, 2010, 11:07 AM

Tbh, they haven't quite got file management right in Unity yet. To save yourself some hassle, add Nautilus to the launcher bar. Click on something like the trash can or a removable drive to launch Nautilus, then right click on it in the bar and "keep in launcher".

Tbh i've started using Gnome Do on my netbooks since installing Maverick, as Unity makes handling files a bit of a pain, and Gnome Do is much quicker.

Unity in the netbook edition is designed for netbooks, so everything is generally used fullscreen. Unity for desktop will presumably be different.