PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.10: Ubuntu software center doesn't install anything anymore?

KvS2
November 6th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Dear all,

I seem to have caused a problem with the software center in Ubuntu 10.10. When I pick out a piece of software and click 'install' I see it doing something (CPU goes up etc.), but the usual "fill in your password" window doesn't pop up and after say 10 secs the 'install' button in the software center returns to its normal state, i.e. as if I hadn't pressed it yet at all.

I am afraid this is related to a manual install (i.e. through apt-get in a terminal) I did some time ago (I was following an online tutorial to get DVD playback working properly) that probably went wrong (the installation process did get stuck at some point, when it hadn't progressed for a long time (>1 hour) I saw no other option than to quit the terminal). I don't remember exactly what packages I was trying to install though.

What would be the best way to get software center going again?

Edit: when I run Package manager, the following errors occur:

E: The package libdvdcss2 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.
E: Internal error opening cache (1). Please report.

KvS2
November 6th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Alright, it's already solved, I'm sorry. I followed the instructions on this site: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/install-mplayer-and-multimedia-codecs-libdvdcss2w32codecsw64codecs-in-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx.html to enable the Medibuntu repositories and install o.a. libdvdcss2. Now things work again :).