PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mouse pointer disappears on wake up

nolanpro
November 6th, 2010, 05:08 AM
I know a "disappearing mouse" has been covered in other threads but my specific symptoms seem different from all the others that I have read.

This has been happening for some time now on 2 systems with 2 versions of ubuntu.

Macbook Pro 4,1 with ubuntu Jaunty 9.04
Macbook Pro 6,1 with ubuntu Mavertick 10.10

About 1 in 5 times I wake up from suspend, the mouse pointer disappears. I can still highlight and click on things as if it was still there. All the functionality seems to be there.

The ONLY way that I have found to get the pointer back is to log out and log back in (restart X)

Switching workspaces with ctrl+alt-RightArrow does not work as some threads have suggested. I even managed, without the pointer, to change resolutions with the NVidia X Server Settings but that didn't bring back the pointer.

It's not just close-the-lid suspend, it's also when I select suspend from the top-right power menu.

Any ideas? Thanks!

nolanpro
November 9th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Ok so now changing my screen resolution using nvidia x server settings DOES bring my pointer back (but creates another world of pain)

Anyway, I'll keep testing, but the problem is so random, it may take a day or two for it to happen again.

The best thing I can hope for is a keyboard shortcut to a script that does something with nvidia or xrandr to refresh the resolution. I'll post my results here.

Forthy
March 15th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Did you get any further with this?

I have precisely the same issue (although on Xubuntu) and am at a loss.

Logout/login seems to be the only solution, but it's mega inconvenient!

nolanpro
March 19th, 2011, 12:58 AM
I never did find out what the problem was, but I did figure out a hack that made it work for me.

Try messing around with the xrandr command.

I usually have an external monitor connected to my laptop using Nvidia's TwinView so I can pick a few different 'xrandr -s' sizes. When ever I switch settings with xrandr, my mouse pointer comes back!

So if i'm on my laptop only at 1440x900, and the mouse disappears after a wake-up, i run 'xrandr -s 3120x1050' then back to 'xrandr -s 1440x900'

But this hack might only work for nvida cards with the proprietary nvida drivers.

NoBugs!
March 19th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Try making a script with:
modprobe -r appletouch
modprobe appletouch

Saving as "fixtouchpad.sh" or some other name, then:

chmod +x fixtouchpad.sh

Then when the mouse won't work, get to the terminal and type
./fixtouchpad.sh
to fix it :)

Forthy
April 7th, 2011, 06:13 PM