PDA

View Full Version : Can I get into Harvard?

TheNerdAL
November 6th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Harvard is one of the colleges I want to attend but my grades aren't very well right now. I am planning to change that.

I am a good writer and thinker and can debate quiet well. I don't have my transcript on me but I think my GPA is above 4.

I know if I try my hardest now, I can improve my grades.

What are the requirements for Harvard? And have any of you attended Harvard?

Thanks.

_outlawed_
November 6th, 2010, 02:17 AM
http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/apply/application_process/requirements.html

TheNerdAL
November 6th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Is Harvard a good school to go to? I heard there are better schools.

NovaAesa
November 6th, 2010, 02:48 AM

There's only going to be one school that doesn't have a school better than it :P

_outlawed_
November 6th, 2010, 02:48 AM

It's an expensive daycare, just like any college.

holiday
November 6th, 2010, 02:53 AM

It really depends on what you want to study. Some schools that are great for business are crap for science, and the very worst for economics.

If you're really serious, look into the faculty of the schools you're considering, in the subject of your interest, and read some of their papers. Do you agree? Do you want to know more of the way this person thinks, are you interested in his or her projects, do you want to learn from her or him?

Harvard's good for Law. If that's what's you're thinking.

It's not just about the credential. You want to learn from the best.

Enigmapond
November 6th, 2010, 02:59 AM
A very good friend of mine, Lawrence Lessig is a Law Professor there. I'll put in a good word for you..:) Good Luck

Cheers!

oldsoundguy
November 6th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Only if your mom and dad have a lot of money and are politically connected or CEO of several major corporations.
Or you are member of a minority group where they need to fill their unwritten quota.

TheNerdAL
November 6th, 2010, 03:22 AM
It really depends on what you want to study. Some schools that are great for business are crap for science, and the very worst for economics.

If you're really serious, look into the faculty of the schools you're considering, in the subject of your interest, and read some of their papers. Do you agree? Do you want to know more of the way this person thinks, are you interested in his or her projects, do you want to learn from her or him?

Harvard's good for Law. If that's what's you're thinking.

It's not just about the credential. You want to learn from the best.

I'm interested in making electronics, like a computer engineer. But like starting a company like Bill Gates. I also want to create a website that I think will be a success. A good person that has done that is Mark Zuckerberg. I am also interested in making films and cartoon shows.

So by in order of interest(With 1 being the field I'm most interested in):
3.)Website making(Like what Zuckerberg did)
2.)Electronics/computer engineer
1.) Film making/animating

I also have this dream of having a corporation of not just one certain field, but Film, Website and Electronics.

Is Harvard a good choice for this?
I'm starting to think it's not

The other places I'd like to go to is CalArts, School of the Art Institute of Chicago and University of Southern California.

I also wanted to go to MIT once but I don't know.

Walt Disney is my inspiration for the film making and Matt Groening is my inspiration for the cartoon making and animating and Mark Zuckerberg is my inspiration to making a website.

And Linux is my inspiration for making electronics.

Brent0
November 6th, 2010, 03:51 AM
I'm interested in making electronics, like a computer engineer. But like starting a company like Bill Gates. I also want to create a website that I think will be a success. A good person that has done that is Mark Zuckerberg. I am also interested in making films and cartoon shows.

I also have this dream of having a corporation of not just one certain field, but Film, Website and Electronics.

The other places I'd like to go to is CalArts, School of the Art Institute of Chicago and University of Southern California.

Walt Disney is my inspiration for the film making and Matt Groening is my inspiration for the cartoon making and animating and Mark Zuckerberg is my inspiration to making a website.

Looks like you've got some big dreams. ;)
Don't start your college planing with unreachable goals. So instead of planning on striking gold in social networking or business, try to figure out the short term goals and work from there. Trust me, you have to work hard to make it in life. Going to Harvard doesn't yield major job opportunities. :)

sandyd
November 6th, 2010, 03:51 AM

FYI, before I start, I studied at Waterloo (Ontario) and UCLA (for one year).

Most universities will allow you to stay there for a week or some amount of time and go to lectures/classes to see if the place is good for you. Most of the time, if you have friends or people you know there, theyll let you do that. Youll want to check with the faculty yourself (I could be wrong, it might only be a canadian thing?).

Web Design / Graphics design are mutual btw.
There is currently also a large(r) market for these few technical jobs: computer security, networking, software design.

If you want to do film, you might want to look at an apprenticeship, you learn more useful stuff that way. Or co-op, whichever one you choose.

Additionally, don't do a double major. your just overextending yourself.
I tried it for one year (stage management + IT management) and I couldn't stand it. removed stage management the year after.

Finished studying IT management, and then studied stage management part time.
It was more worth it that way.

Due to the US recession, I work in stage management during the summer.

TheNerdAL
November 6th, 2010, 04:04 AM
FYI, before I start, I studied at Waterloo (Ontario) and UCLA (for one year).

Most universities will allow you to stay there for a week or some amount of time and go to lectures/classes to see if the place is good for you. Most of the time, if you have friends or people you know there, theyll let you do that. Youll want to check with the faculty yourself (I could be wrong, it might only be a canadian thing?).

Web Design / Graphics design are mutual btw.
There is currently also a large(r) market for these few technical jobs: computer security, networking, software design.

If you want to do film, you might want to look at an apprenticeship, you learn more useful stuff that way. Or co-op, whichever one you choose.

Additionally, don't do a double major. your just overextending yourself.
I tried it for one year (stage management + IT management) and I couldn't stand it. removed stage management the year after.

Finished studying IT management, and then studied stage management part time.
It was more worth it that way.

Due to the US recession, I work in stage management during the summer.

I'm not planning on doing double majors at the same time. Just one after another maybe?

earthpigg
November 6th, 2010, 04:28 AM
If your high school grades and extracurriculars don't end up being impressive enough, you can always go to community for a few years, stomp guts there, and apply as a transfer student.

TheNerdAL
November 6th, 2010, 04:34 AM
If your high school grades and extracurriculars don't end up being impressive enough, you can always go to community for a few years, stomp guts there, and apply as a transfer student.

I'm not that big of a fan of staying in school for a long time. I want to start on my career as soon as I can.

earthpigg
November 6th, 2010, 04:43 AM
I'm not that big of a fan of staying in school for a long time. I want to start on my career as soon as I can.

the way that works is 2 years community (assuming you have self discipline), and 2 years university.

still 4 years.

TheNerdAL
November 6th, 2010, 04:54 AM
the way that works is 2 years community (assuming you have self discipline), and 2 years university.

still 4 years.

I like the way you're thinking. :D

Now just to find out what college I should go to. :/

earthpigg
November 6th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Now just to find out what college I should go to. :/

if you don't get accepted into any that are acceptable to you, then don't go. go to community then apply again in 1.5 years / 3 semesters.

It is very hard to transfer from one university to another, but not so hard to transfer from community to university.

sandyd
November 6th, 2010, 05:36 AM
I'm not planning on doing double majors at the same time. Just one after another maybe?

if your planning on doing that, you will want to choose the major that you know you can do part time and still earn a boatload of cash. I dont know about you, but university leaves a lot with empty pockets. esp if you on residence. and i agree about taking college if you cant get high enough marks. doing "upgrade courses" so we call it is quite useful if your thinking of entering in a good university. note, i just forgot. although coop is nice in university, most require you to maintain an "over and above" average or they will send you out.

TriBlox6432
November 6th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Go to community college. Trust me. Only the absolute superior get into University straight out of High School. And even then, you will probably have a lot of Pre Req's for whatever major you want, and its best to take care of those at community college. Getting into a good uni isn't as hard as it was a long time ago. You can suck in High School and still get into Ivy League if you do well in CC for a few years.

Mr. Picklesworth
November 6th, 2010, 05:48 AM
/me misread something and wrote something rather daft

holiday
November 6th, 2010, 07:20 AM

It's a lot to take on all at once. There's no rush. You're young. You don't know how young. You can take five years to throw yourself totally into a wrong direction and then throw yourself totally into another.

It's the throwing yourself totally into it that's the trick.

Choose carefully. With luck you'll pick the right one first off.

wilee-nilee
November 6th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Community College is a good start, many state Universities have plenty of space for students, with really just a high school graduation and average sat scores required.

It does not really matter where you graduate from, it is the paper that says you have that is most important. At least that was the words from a professor in a Psychology class.

KiwiNZ
November 6th, 2010, 06:42 PM

Dreams are made reality , not by playing games and messing on the internet Forums. They are made a reality by hard word and single minded dedication to the task at hand.

Write to the Colleges find out what you need, the write down a plan for yourself to get there. You may find it use to find yourself a mentor.

You have to complete each step first, from what I have seen of your history here you seem to be diving from one thing to the next. It appears to what evers you read next on the internet you want to be, do, or buy.

Its OK to have dreams, but if you want those dreams to become reality it will take a lot of very hard work and a lot of single minded focus. That is how I succeeded in my professional life and I have been able to succeed in combating the disability that was thrown at me.

Wealth is not gained from luck , mine wasn't and your wealth wont. It will be gain from daily exhaustion.

TheNerdAL
November 6th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Dreams are made reality , not by playing games and messing on the internet Forums. They are made a reality by hard word and single minded dedication to the task at hand.

Write to the Colleges find out what you need, the write down a plan for yourself to get there. You may find it use to find yourself a mentor.

You have to complete each step first, from what I have seen of your history here you seem to be diving from one thing to the next. It appears to what evers you read next on the internet you want to be, do, or buy.

Its OK to have dreams, but if you want those dreams to become reality it will take a lot of very hard work and a lot of single minded focus. That is how I succeeded in my professional life and I have been able to succeed in combating the disability that was thrown at me.

Wealth is not gained from luck , mine wasn't and your wealth wont. It will be gain from daily exhaustion.

Thank you. :)