PDA

View Full Version : Cross-compiling from 32bits to 64bits.

gugahoa
November 6th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I looking for how to cross-compile from 32bits to 64bits with g++, and i fail. ):

i was searching it for some hour and i found this forum, and i guess the user's here can help me, i don't know nothing about cross-compiling if someone teach me a little thing it will be good. '-'

Sorry bad english, i'm 14 years old and don't study english so much, only for school. hoho

Arndt
November 6th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I looking for how to cross-compile from 32bits to 64bits with g++, and i fail. ):

i was searching it for some hour and i found this forum, and i guess the user's here can help me, i don't know nothing about cross-compiling if someone teach me a little thing it will be good. '-'

Sorry bad english, i'm 14 years old and don't study english so much, only for school. hoho

When I asked a similar question (in a another forum), I was pointed to http://www.virtualbox.org/. But I solved my problem in another way, so I haven't actually used VirtualBox.

Don't worry about your English, I understood you fine.

gugahoa
November 6th, 2010, 04:10 PM
My internet is 'humble', only 256kbytes(32kb/s on download), and i need this fast, can u tell me another way? :S

ooh, i forgot:

Thank you for answer me. *-*

Arndt
November 6th, 2010, 04:31 PM
My internet is 'humble', only 256kbytes(32kb/s on download), and i need this fast, can u tell me another way? :S

ooh, i forgot:

Thank you for answer me. *-*

The way I solved my problem was simple but uninteresting: I went and built the program on the target system, after first installing the packages my program needs.

Why do you need 64-bit, actually? Programs built for 32-bit will run on 64-bit without changes.

gugahoa
November 6th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Cuz i have one game server, who has 8gb of ram, and use Ubuntu 32bits with PAE, and tha game is 'freezing', isn't to freeze, i guess it is conflict between PAE and the server because it needs more than 4GB of RAM, if isn't that i'll need to install Ubuntu 64bits and run a new server executable.

/\ cuz that i need to compile to 64bits. '-'

PS: If i compile on dedicated server, the executable will be 32bits

If u want, i have more one trouble:

The server take 21% of memory and don't have nothing running on machine, only the server, but when i do 'free -m' show me i'm using 7gb of memory, what is that? :/

linux-hack
November 6th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Normally a program compiled on a 32bit system works on a 64 also, but not the other way.

gugahoa
November 6th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Normally a program compiled on a 32bit system works on a 64 also, but not the other way.

i know that, but a 32bits program running on 64bits os isn't the same of the same program 64bits running on 64bits os.

wmcbrine
November 7th, 2010, 01:43 AM
-m64

But you need the appropriate libraries and headers installed.

$ gcc -m64 test.c
In file included from /usr/include/features.h:354,
from /usr/include/stdio.h:28,
from test.c:1:
/usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:9:27: error: gnu/stubs-64.h: No such file or directory

Personally I've only done it the other way (-m32, for building 32-bit executables on 64-bit systems).

gugahoa
November 7th, 2010, 02:35 AM
-m64

But you need the appropriate libraries and headers installed.

$ gcc -m64 test.c
In file included from /usr/include/features.h:354,
from /usr/include/stdio.h:28,
from test.c:1:
/usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:9:27: error: gnu/stubs-64.h: No such file or directoryPersonally I've only done it the other way (-m32, for building 32-bit executables on 64-bit systems).

I have already tried this.

~~

SOLVED: I sais to my friend to compile for me. '-'