PDA

View Full Version : Open source short film.

Madspyman
November 5th, 2010, 11:49 PM
I'm working on a green screened short film right now in Ubuntu using Blender, Gimp and other open source software. I have a rough trailer posted on youtube right now. Everything in it was done using all open source software, with the exception of the music track which is a royalty free creative commons track I found on the web.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6mhibMSoSU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6mhibMSoSU)

Hope you guys like it.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
November 6th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Very impressive. Good luck on the film. :popcorn:

TheWeakSleep
November 6th, 2010, 12:08 AM
I really enjoyed it! Hope i get to see it :) good luck!

Madspyman
November 6th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Very impressive. Good luck on the film. :popcorn:

Thanks, glad you liked it I,m hoping (time permitting) to have it done by the end of the month.

earthpigg
November 6th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Nice, let us know when you have more to show! :D

Madspyman
November 6th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Nice, let us know when you have more to show! :D

I'm getting a website together with progress updates I'll post a link when its up.

Chronon
November 6th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Nice work! I'm interested to watch the real thing.

Oxwivi
November 6th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Awesome! Me likey! Me wanna watch! :D

TheNerdAL
November 6th, 2010, 04:59 PM
..........WOW!

That is all.

Madspyman
November 8th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Hey thanks for the good responses I have a page for the movie now on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Last-Payment/168306109861178?v=wall I'll try to keep it updated.

nlsthzn
November 8th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Good luck with the project.

Phrea
November 8th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Very cool, those people look almost life-like.

Verbeck
November 8th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Very cool, those people look almost life-like.

they are real people..... : facebook link (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Last-Payment/168306109861178?v=wall#%21/photo.php?fbid=168310993194023&set=a.168310583194064.40694.168306109861178)

really nice project btw :D

Madspyman
November 9th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Hey I was just wondering, there's been a tiny bit of confusion as to the location of the two main characters during their dialog after the movie title near the end of the trailer.

Where do you guys think they are?

Rackstar
November 9th, 2010, 08:32 PM
..........WOW!

That is all.

This

Khakilang
November 10th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Simply awesome! Good luck with your project!

Christian Knudsen
November 10th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Looks cool. Obviously Sin City inspired. :)

A bit of advice/wishes, though: I hope the green screen stuff doesn't mean that the camera is locked down all the time. Constantly stationary camera shots can make a movie visually boring. I also felt that the trailer lacked environmental/background sounds. Only the dialogue was heard. This can make the movie boring from an auditory point of view. Faint background traffic noise or blowing wind (were they on a roof at one point?) can add a lot.

undecim
November 10th, 2010, 02:33 PM

A bit of advice/wishes, though: I hope the green screen stuff doesn't mean that the camera is locked down all the time. Constantly stationary camera shots can make a movie visually boring. I also felt that the trailer lacked environmental/background sounds. Only the dialogue was heard. This can make the movie boring from an auditory point of view. Faint background traffic noise or blowing wind (were they on a roof at one point?) can add a lot.

Excellence is in the details

Good trailer though. I'm rather interested in the plot now.

Madspyman
November 23rd, 2010, 05:20 AM

The finals gonna have more camera angles, and zooms. I thought for the trailer I'd go for a quiet unsettling stillness. I thought it worked better to the music I chose I really liked that music track.

Also this is a proof of concept for a different project entirely. The trailer is rough the 2 backgrounds in there during the only bit of spoken dialog are place holders for graphics I'm still putting the polish on.

The best and worst part about working on green screen is that nothings ever set in stone. The final may end up looking completely different than the trailer.

The main point I was trying to make with all this is that Ubuntu and foss have some cool tools available for working with digital video.

linuxforartists
November 23rd, 2010, 07:13 AM
The trailer was solid, good work! Although I'm biased because I love gangster films. Keep us posted on further developments.

The main point I was trying to make with all this is that Ubuntu and foss have some cool tools available for working with digital video.

I totally support this. Could you tell us which video editing program you used? OpenShot, PiTiVi, Kdenlive, or something else?

NightwishFan
November 23rd, 2010, 07:19 AM
Trust me it was fine. I liked it.

Madspyman
November 23rd, 2010, 07:51 AM
The trailer was solid, good work! Although I'm biased because I love gangster films. Keep us posted on further developments.

I totally support this. Could you tell us which video editing program you used? OpenShot, PiTiVi, Kdenlive, or something else?

Blender for editing and compositing. I also used Gimp, FFmpeg, and Audacity. The video was shot on the Canon HF10 to an sd card. The audio was recorded to a separate camera with a mini dv tape (we couldn't get a hold of our usual digital audio recorder that day), and then transfered to the PC over firewire using Kino. The music is a creative commons track from incompetech.com.

weasel fierce
November 23rd, 2010, 07:57 AM
Very impressive!