PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Slow startup of virtual machine 10.04

boskoslo
November 5th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Hello there!

I installed Ubuntu 10.04 as virtual machine and now there is slight problem :) When I turn on machine I see VM bios but then VM stops and cursor (underscore) starts blinking. I waits like this for 2 minutes and then proceeds normally. There might be VM bios seen again. Since here, no slowness is noticed. It shuts down really fast :)

I'm using VMware workstation 7.0 and VMplayer 3.0.1, hard disk type used is SCSI.

Alan James
November 5th, 2010, 07:00 PM
What is the host operating system you are running VMware on? Also, how much memory does the actual computer have? How much memory does the virtual machine have?

I have noticed a huge boost in performance when I add more memory to either the virtual machine or the actual computer. This may not be your problem but it's a good place to start.

boskoslo
November 5th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Host OS is Windows 7 with 2GB of memory and 512MB allocated to VM. There is 1.5GB of memory used at host level, so I don't think memory should be upgraded. I have hard disk with 5.200 rpm - could this be a problem? If yes, why didn't this happen with 9.04 version?

I also downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 from this site http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5522247/ but problem is still present - with a little faster boot.

boskoslo
November 6th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Bump, before thread gets too old :)