PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Palm Pre or Pixi ?

techrush
November 5th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Curious how many ubuntu users out there use a webOS device ? Its powered by a linux kernel and I find it to be a really nice user experience especially how Palm and now HP are supporting the homebrew community. They essentially hand you the device with root access enabled. No nasty jailbreaking or rooting like on an iphone or android device.

I was able to install a custom kernel with some new memory management options and the ability to overclock my cpu! There are also tons of tweaks you can make to the UI via "patches".

To top it off if you are a web developer like me all the apps are written in a custom javascript framework (based on node.js now i believe) and html.

What do you guys and gals think ?

beavis5551
November 6th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Hi,

i dont actually own a pre/pixi but i got the chance to play around with one at a demo booth of a cellphone service provider at a electronics store. Quite a nice phone.

Just be careful with the overclocking... heard some bad things.

cheers.

AquaHusky
November 30th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Both my wife and I have a Pixi. I think this is a great little phone. With Preware installed, you can get just about anything you could want for the little device. Got it back in May, and the only thing that concerns me sometimes is that I can get the battery really hot if I'm not careful.

G00D_GUY
December 4th, 2010, 04:57 AM
My wife and I have the Pre. This was one of our few great investments. I want for nothing now (not a laptop, a Touch pad, a cell phone, PDA, or anything). This phone is incredible. I tested it last week against the new Iphone, and it was a tie as for as speed, but The Pre can do so much more. In all fairness, I must say the Iphone can do everything that the Pre can, but you will have to buy a lot of Apps to make it so.

Anyhow, The Pre currently doesn't have node.js yet. It will be on the 2.0 version. However, you can add node.js now if you like. Just navigate to precentral to find out how.

Oh, and if your thinking about Android.....Don't!!!!!! A few weeks after you get it, you will regret it.

avix
December 21st, 2010, 02:18 AM
just got one and trying to figure out if it can link to evolution, I know for accessing the drive Linux is far superior

ElSlunko
December 21st, 2010, 02:58 AM
I've got a pixi plus. Might get a Pre 2 or whatever comes next from HP Palm. Really love webos.