PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Connecting to Windows Computer via the terminal

Finalfantasykid
November 5th, 2010, 04:30 AM
I'm not sure if this belongs here or not, so feel free to move to to General Help or whatever if this is in the wrong place...

Anyways, my sister has been using (X)ubuntu for a little while now, and for the most part is liking how it is going. However there has been something which has constantly been nagging her, and that is OpenOffice's compatability with MS Office file types (Mainly the newer *x formats).

So I had an idea of possibly running a command to request a local Windows XP machine to convert the filetype to pptx to ppt(A MS Office compatability program, which unfortunatly does not seem to work in wine), and then send the file back to her computer. I'm not really sure how to do this though, I don't think ssh will work, but what about telnet? I've never used telnet before though, and I've never actually ssh'd or anything to a local machine, only 'real' servers, so consider me a n00b with this.

It pains me to see my sister frustrated with linux, because she likes just about everything else about it, but she has gone back to Windows before because of this, but recently the massive slowdown of Windows on her aging computer has brought her back to Linux, but the same problem is still bothering her, and would be great for it to be fixed :)

arvevans
November 5th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Open Office 3.2 likes the Microsoft x extents. If you are not running this latest OO version, it might be worth a try. You can download it to Ubuntu Linux using the Synaptic Package Manager.

Finalfantasykid
November 5th, 2010, 05:08 AM
It can read them yes, but it creates numerous formatting errors, particularly with the power point files.

Finalfantasykid
November 7th, 2010, 01:46 AM
*Bump*

Any other ideas/suggestions?