PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Networking Issues

throese
November 5th, 2010, 02:57 AM
So, I'm trying to set up Samba so that I can connect to the printer in the den since we have wireless access. Also, I can see my virtual box on the Windows XP Home Ed desktop, but can't access it (sorry, no screen short or pic).

So, how do I go about setting up Samba so stuff is visible between my Ubuntu machine and my families Windows orientated network?

I've tried these:

Samba File Server (http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverguide/C/samba-fileserver.html)

Securing a Samba File and Print Server (http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverguide/C/samba-fileprint-security.html)

But no luck. I'm having a hard time finding anything on YouTube too. I'm taking a break from the Remastersys stuff so I can get the more important things done, such as connecting my Ubuntu machine to my families Windows Network. I don't know if the printer is wireless or not, but regardless, I can't find it. Please help.

(Also, sorry for the 3-5 topics I've made within the last 5 days, I've recently started Ubuntu in July and am still learning). Forgive me if I'm getting on anyone's nerves.

SeijiSensei
November 5th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Is the printer connected to a machine running Linux or one running Windows? Or is the printer itself wireless? Can you ping its IP address from your Ubuntu box?

You may just need to set up printing on the Ubuntu box and point it at the network printer. If you can print to it from Windows, you should be able to see the printer's share with CUPS if you have samba-common and smbclient installed. I think they're installed by default, at least they were in the Kubuntu 10.10 installation I just did today.

throese
November 5th, 2010, 03:16 AM
Well, here are pictures of the main network area: (View attachments)

Everything is connected to the Belkin router including the Scanner/Fax/Copy/Print Machine.

I can't even view the Windows Network through the Network folder. Wish someone could just make a video tutorial for all of this.

CharlesA
November 5th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Are you able to ping the machine from a Windows box by using it's ip address?

throese
November 5th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Well, when I ping my Linux through my Windows VBox, it gets replies from Ubuntu, but when I try to ping my Windows VBox with Ubuntu, it just...stops.

williejones
November 5th, 2010, 03:27 AM
I just set up an HP all in one connected by usb to Ubuntu 10.04. This computer is connected to the wireless router by usb wireless. To alll my other machines (Ubuntu 10.10, Arch Linux, Windows Vista, Windows 7) to connect:

On the machine with the printer attached go to
System
Administration
Printing
Server
Settings and select Published Shared printers connected to this system

Still in the same place right click on the printer icon
select Policies
Check enabled, accept jobs, shared

Get the IP address of the computer (ifconfig) as you will need this to set up any other computer you want to remote print \

throese
November 5th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Thanks Willejones. I'll try and see what happens.

CharlesA
November 5th, 2010, 03:35 AM
Well, when I ping my Linux through my Windows VBox, it gets replies from Ubuntu, but when I try to ping my Windows VBox with Ubuntu, it just...stops.

Since you are running it in a VM, what is the networking set to?

williejones
November 5th, 2010, 03:43 AM
On the remote computer go to
System
Administration
Printing
Add Printer
add device URI
ipp://192.xxx.x.xx:631/printers/Photosmart-C5100-series

The 192.xxx... is the ip address of the computer with the printer attached

The Photosmart-C5100-series is the printer name which can be found on
the printer properties of the machine connected to the printer

edit change the Uri ipp to http for Windows

throese
November 5th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Charles: Idk. I'm currently connected to the desktop in the Den through Remote Desktop (don't want to have to keep going back and forth from room to room). Well, my Ubuntu machine can communicate with my Windows VBox and the main Dell Desktop downstairs. At least now I know everything can communicate with one another.

What's the next step, now knowing that the machines communicate?

Williejones: My laptop is the ONLY machine in the ENTIRE house that has Linux on it. EVERY other computer in the house has Windows XP Home Edition on it except for my mom's laptop which has Windows 7. What you're asking me to do would mean that the Dell with Win XP Home would have to have Ubuntu, which it does not. But I will give what you suggest a try.

CharlesA
November 5th, 2010, 04:51 AM
I think I may be confused.

If you are running the Windows box in VirtualBox, make sure that the networking says "Bridged" instead of NAT (which is the default).

throese
November 5th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Charles: Okay, there is a Dell machine in the den. That has Win XP Home Edition on it. Connected to that computer is the router and modem. Connected to the router is the printer as well as the modem and desktop. That is our main work station, as shown in the attached pictures on the previous page.

The Windows XP Professional Edition SP2 that I VBox off of is just there because I wanted to try some simple networking things with it. Other than that, my VBox has no real purpose.

CharlesA
November 5th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

Does the printer have a NIC on it, or is it hooked up to the PC?

I've not done Samba printer sharing, unforunately, since all the printers I have are able to be hooked up directly to the network.

throese
November 5th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Not sure if it has a NIC or not. I THINK it's hooked into the router via USB cable or maybe into the PC. I'll check and let you know once I get home.

Lets take these two situations.

Lets say it does have NIC, what would I do then?

If it is hooked up to the PC or router, what then?

(I ask ahead of time just in case it's one or the other)

=)

CharlesA
November 5th, 2010, 08:30 PM
If it's got a NIC, you can plug it directly into the network and not have to worry about having it hooked up to the PC or router.

If it's hooked up to the pc or router directly, you'll have to jump thru some hooks to get it to work.

throese
November 5th, 2010, 08:35 PM
My parents can connect to the printer wirelessly through their laptops, but I cannot. =/ (Forgot to mention that in my last post)

CharlesA
November 5th, 2010, 09:04 PM
What OS are they using?

throese
November 6th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Mom: Windows 7 Home Premium
Dad: Windows XP Home or Professional Edition
Dell in Den: Windows XP Home Edition

So, I was thinking, maybe if we installed a Virtual Box (I downloaded it for Windows) and installed in on the Dell in the den (that is the entire house's PRIMARY computer that the network is set up on) then I could install either Windows Server 2003 or Ubuntu Server, set it up and connect all the computers to it and the printer etc. etc.

Could it all work then?

CharlesA
November 6th, 2010, 08:57 PM
It's probably a name resolution thing then, since Windows uses NetBIOS broadcasts and Linux doesn't.

Add the hostname and ip address of the machine the printer is hooked up to into the hosts file and see if you are able to connect to it.

gksu gedit /etc/hosts

throese
November 6th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Last time all I had to do was install the printer drivers via USB. This new printer we have has Wi-Fi. Anyway, I'll do that. Lets hope this works. I'll keep everyone updated.

CharlesA
November 6th, 2010, 09:05 PM
If the printer has wifi, then you should be able to connect to it with it's IP address.

Should be fairly easy to add the printer if you are able to do that.

throese
November 6th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Well, using the computer's IP address didn't work. How do I find the printer's IP address?

CharlesA
November 6th, 2010, 09:16 PM
You'd have to look at the router to see what ip address it assigned to the printer.

throese
November 6th, 2010, 09:22 PM
But, how do I do that? I checked everywhere on the Belkin router and can't find the router's IP address on the label or anywhere on it. Is there anything I type into the command prompt or GUI to find the router's IP address?

CharlesA
November 6th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Should be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 to access the web interface.

Check ipconfig /all on a windows box and look for the gateway address.

throese
November 6th, 2010, 09:41 PM
And...it said no network printers could be found at this address. =/

CharlesA
November 6th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Were you trying to connect to the gateway address, or did you look in the router interface for the ip of the printer?

throese
November 7th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Gateway address. "did you look in the router interface for the ip of the printer?" I don't know how to do that.

CharlesA
November 7th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Gateway address. "did you look in the router interface for the ip of the printer?" I don't know how to do that.

You'd need the IP of the router, not the gateway.

Find the model of the router and look here: http://www.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView.process?Section_Id=4

throese
November 7th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Okay, so, I have no idea as to what to do now. I got the model number, found my router and typed in what it told me into the browser, but idk what to do now. I'm on the router settings site thing.

CharlesA
November 7th, 2010, 12:09 PM
You'd probably have to look at the status page for active leases to find the ip.

If you don't really know how the network is setup, perhaps ask yer parents how they added the printer?

throese
November 7th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Then, if I can't find the IP myself, I'll talk to my dad tonight. They had to use an installation disk, but I can't find it.

CharlesA
November 7th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I don't know how to get it set up then. Each network and printer is different. :(

Good luck.

throese
November 7th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Then, I'll have a few options.

1) Talk to my dad tonight on the phone about getting our hands on a NOS (Network Operating System) and installing it on Virtual Box and then hopefully set up Samba properly so my machine connects to the network.

2) Try to get the IP address of the router or printer.

3) Try to find the CD and if I do hope to God that the drivers work on Linux.

Thanks for all the help though everyone.

CharlesA
November 7th, 2010, 06:21 PM
What model is the printer? I know some of the newer HP ones connect directly to the network and you should be able to install them from Ubuntu with little problems as long as it's being seen.

I guess the problem is that Ubuntu doesn't know where to look to find the printer.

throese
November 7th, 2010, 10:17 PM
It's a Canon MX340 series Printer - USB003

CharlesA
November 7th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Yeah, if it's a USB printer, you should be able to share it on the machine it's on.

throese
November 8th, 2010, 04:37 AM
I'll try plugging my laptop into it directly tomorrow and see if that makes it work wireless for my computer. =)

CharlesA
November 8th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Best of luck. :)

throese
November 9th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Plugging in the printer directly didn't do a damn thing. Gonna try installing/setting up Samba and pray that it works. In my case it's "Plug and Pray" instead of "Plug and Play". XD