PDA

View Full Version : [PPC] Shoehorning linux onto a G4

parisii
November 4th, 2010, 11:26 PM
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } Hi all, I need help installing a Linux distro on an old mac to make a simple desktop home computer details below.

The Scenario:
I am trying to breath a couple more years of life into a computer illiterate friend's Mac G4 [POS] computer, it is a paper weight but all he needs is a basic desktop and an web machine and he can't be made to buy a new one unless all other options are exhausted.

The computer:
Is a Mac G4 power-PC architecture, 450 MHz, 18 GB HDD, 1024 Mb ram ugly little thing that was gotten for free it currently has mac OS 10.2 [unsupported] and newer OS-X (he is more familiarized with Mac) don't run on power-PC. Currently web pages don't display correctly, flash and other plug-ins and web scripts don't operate and it is very clunky with software bloat.

My solution???:
Is to install Linux so he can have a trim clean operating system. Ubuntu 10.04 [community ppc variant] runs off a live CD but is dead slow on account of the low processor power and I was unable to get gnash to run flash video a necessity as Adobe has abandoned power-PC, I suspect the gnash error is between chair and keyboard, advice is welcome. I would like to install a distro more suited to this system currently I am looking at mintPPC but can't quite follow the installation instructions – what is meant by Debian “squeeze” the download link gives me a mini.iso is this the same thing? Also clarification on the terminal commands would be of help. Advice on a different distro is also welcome preferably one with an all in one installing process rather than the mint, Debian, Ubuntu multi-part thingy that mintPPC is; it just needs to be power PC compatible and able to run on a few hundred MHz maybe there is an easy way to put LXDE or Xcfe on a more popular Disto? Any suggestions?

As for me:
I am a new Linux convert, discovering the glory this past July and am still learning my way around I am computer literate and somewhat savvy but I am not a tech head and I HATE working on them I can and do it but I don't like it and I am often hampered by ignorance of the latest new/trends and an acute allergy to Macs and Apple products in general.

linuxopjemac
November 5th, 2010, 09:48 AM
If you have questions about MintPPC, post them in the forums there. Ubuntu does not like postings of MintPPC here.

ronnielsen1
November 5th, 2010, 11:07 AM
If you have questions about MintPPC, post them in the forums there. Ubuntu does not like postings of MintPPC here.

Not sure that's entirely true. I seem to remember a few years back they opened their forums.

http://penguinppc.org/about/distributions.php

The above link has some distros that should work on that box