PDA

View Full Version : What's the ratio of Solved/Unsolved Threads?

dkjMusic
November 4th, 2010, 11:00 PM
It seems to me that would be an interesting quality measure for these forums. It might also indicate why Linux is not overtaking the Windows world. Of course, you'd have to factor in a guesstimate of those threads which are ultimately [Solved] and not marked as such.

Still, is it a quantity worth someone pursuing?

cariboo
November 4th, 2010, 11:44 PM
The ratio of Solved/Unsolved threads isn't a very good indicator of anything. For instance there a quite a few unsolved threads that just don't include enough information for anyone to answer them. Quite a few people pass those questions by, if the poster doesn't give enough info, volunteers will move on to a question they can answer.

There are also the posters that keep bumping their own their threads, giving the illusion that there is some action going on there.

Many other unanswered post are just in the wrong place to get a successful solution. Asking advanced question in ABT is almost guaranteed to go unsolved.

I personally try to answer 5 unanswered post a day, If all of the more experienced users were to do the same thing, the amount of unanswered threads would surely shrink to a smaller number.

BTW, moved to the Cafe, as this isn't a support question.

marshmallow1304
November 5th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Also consider the huge number of thread posters who don't bother or don't know how to mark a thread as solved.

juancarlospaco
November 5th, 2010, 12:32 AM
they ^ are right, mark this as Solved

cloyd
November 5th, 2010, 01:32 AM
My problems have almost all been solved with help. Searches haven't proved helpful (generally). The answer may have been out there, I just couldn't find it. But the community has been helpful.

However . . .

If I'd always check the documentation first, I may have avoided a few posts. But then, I wouldn't have had the contact with the community . . . and I like the community. But I do need to use the documentation.

_outlawed_
November 5th, 2010, 01:35 AM

Also some solved threads aren't marked as solved, so numbers would be inaccurate.