PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems connecting Ubuntu 10.4 and Windows 7 laptops

gillbert
November 4th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I actually have two problems (which may be related).

I am running Ubuntu 10.04 on a old Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo La1703 and Windows 7 on a new Dell Inspiron 1545. I only have only have one broadband internet dongle, so I would like to share the connection (preferably via wireless ad hoc connection, but lan would work too). The dongle is run with a program that comes with it and works fine in both Windows and Ubuntu (except that the Network Manager in Ubuntu doesn't realise that there is an internet connection).

Yesterday morning I managed ONCE to make a wireless ad hoc connection and was able to use the dongle connected on the Windows machine from the Ubuntu one (using WEP security).

Since I wasn't able to reproduce this I tried with a Ethernet cable. I plugged it in and and was surfing smoothly the whole evening.

This morning I couldn't connect the computers any more. Neither with nor without cable. When the cable is plugged in the Ubuntu machine recognises a connection, but fails to connect. The windows machine just says "Unidentified Network".

I don't know what I did to make the connection disappear or why my laptops refuse to communicate like friends any more. I've been trying the whole day to make tham kiss and make up, but they are really stubborn.

Has anybody any ideas on how to restore their friendship (wit or without cable).