PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem installing Ubuntu

Damein
November 4th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I am attempting to install Ubuntu via a USB stick. I have Ubuntu on the USB, I have booted from the stick and I have made it to the installing window. My problem is, I do not get the option to install next to other operating systems, which is what I want.

If I have not been clear enough then please let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks!

sanderd17
November 4th, 2010, 10:01 PM
What options do you have? if you have the "manual installation", could you go in there, take a screenshot and post it here?

Damein
November 5th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Actually, I got it installed by using Wubi instead of a flash.

But I ran into another problem.

I installed like 50+ updates when I got it installed, one being something called Grub.

Now when I boot my PC and attempt to use Ubuntu, it goes to a DOS command screen and I can't figure out what to do there :/

Any advice? Thanks.

Rubi1200
November 5th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Can you still boot into Windows?

Damein
November 5th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Yes I can, I am running windows atm with no problem. It's just when I choose Ubuntu in the OS selection menu at boot.

Rubi1200
November 5th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Okay,
there are problems with Wubi installs at the moment.

See here for solutions:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9932369&postcount=5

Damein
November 8th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Hmm, I attempted to do that but I ran into a problem in the first suggestion:

It says:

"replace the c:\wubildr file from the one in c:\ubuntu\winboot\wubildr (change 'drive' if necessary and backup c:\wubildr first as a precaution). This fix has been confirmed by many different people, as it appears that in many cases the upgrade is corrupting the wubildr file."

I do not have any file besides:

Folders: Disks, Install, Winboot
Files: Ubuntu.ico, Uninstall-wubi.exe

In the C:/Ubuntu folder.

I copied the wubildr file to the folder, rebooted but no good.

Any other suggestions?

At this point I think I'll downgrade, if I can't fix this :D

Thanks!