PDA

View Full Version : How much time does it take to open 'About Ubuntu' ?

dinamic1
November 4th, 2010, 07:23 PM
How much time does it take to open the 'About Ubuntu' application in the 'System' menu? (http://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/e17mf/how_much_time_does_it_take_to_open_the_about/)

here 8 seconds and Ubuntu Software Center 7! :confused:

Lancro
November 4th, 2010, 07:57 PM
8 seconds as well.

Frogs Hair
November 4th, 2010, 08:17 PM
About Ubuntu opens with no delay and the Software Center opens in 4 seconds.

NMFTM
November 4th, 2010, 08:26 PM
'About Ubuntu' takes 14 seconds to load.
Software Center takes 5.
OpenOffice Writer takes 8.

I was very amazed at how long it took to open About Ubuntu considering my system specs. I have a Phenom II X4 965 clocked at 3.4Ghz, 8GB of DDR3 (4x 2GB) at 1333 data rate, fake RAID0 at 140MB/s average read time, and a GTX 260.

I don't think the GPU would really make a difference. But I know that Seti@Home can utilize your GPU to speed up calculations. So, for all I know other apps might do the same as well. But I'm just shocked at how long it takes.

So I tested it out three times and got the same result every time. Even after rebooting my computer, letting it sit there for a few minutes so that any possible silent background startup processes would finish, and setting all four of my cores to performance (max Ghz) mode before clicking it.

Mr. Picklesworth
November 4th, 2010, 08:55 PM
About Ubuntu is slow because it is a help page and Yelp 2 is horrifically slow.
Yelp 3 switches from Gecko to Webkit and it has many other excellent improvements. That should come along with the other Gnome 3 stuff in 11.04 :)

FuturePilot
November 4th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Way way too long.

cpmman
November 4th, 2010, 09:02 PM
4, 7 first time
1, 3 secondtime