PDA

View Full Version : How advanced are you?

clgy15
November 4th, 2010, 06:56 PM
So advanced are you?

TNT1
November 4th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Level 17

JDShu
November 4th, 2010, 06:58 PM
My brain is a middle-of-the-pack model.

wilee-nilee
November 4th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Troglodyte by nature.

3Miro
November 4th, 2010, 07:05 PM
My dreams are in binary. I have difficulty in communicating with other people since my hex-to-normal-human-speech engine isn't very good.

43:68:65:65:72:73

Spice Weasel
November 4th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I am currently stuck on the end of the level, just got the dragon left to kill.

madhi19
November 4th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I know enough to know that I don't know much! I guess that the beginning of wisdom! lolll

TNT1
November 4th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I am currently stuck on the end of the level, just got the dragon left to kill.

What you do is, just stay away from Dragons Fire Ball. When he does fire.. you just jump and avoid your self from hitting this Fire Bullets... then you can jump over the dragon to the right side and he will not be able to hit you then...

(according to yahoo answers India...)

Zzl1xndd
November 4th, 2010, 07:12 PM
My brain is a middle-of-the-pack model.

Seeing as JDShu keeps asking me questions, I will say one level ahead of him.

Simian Man
November 4th, 2010, 07:15 PM
None of your examples require any real knowledge or skill at all. Using the command line, alternative WMs and building custom kernels makes you "PRO"? Come on.

Zzl1xndd
November 4th, 2010, 07:16 PM
None of your examples require any real knowledge or skill at all. Using the command line, alternative WMs and building custom kernels makes you "PRO"? Come on.

Although I agree I think its just some light hearted fun. No need to be so serious. :D

TNT1
November 4th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Although I agree I think its just some light hearted fun. No need to be so serious. :D

Serious is monkey man's middle name...

clgy15
November 4th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Should I change it to include a PRO meaning that im so sure of myself i dont use PAM to protect my system? Or that I can compile the kernel using another compiler that gcc?

mcduck
November 4th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Wait, confidence in CLI makes you a semi-pro while a custom GUI makes you a PRO?

Based on the options in the poll I've been a pro since I was 7 years old (apart from the custom GUI part, of course, no such nonsense back then). :D

Decatf
November 4th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Shouldn't the one after Torvalds like be something closer to 'I wrote a kernel to fit my specific needs and substitute it over the Linux kernel'.

Lancro
November 4th, 2010, 07:53 PM
If you run ubuntu 10.10 you cant be pro?, Im a novice but I was willing to go further in my knowledge of linux, but I use 10.10, all my dreams are broken, days of glory will never come... :(

sanderella
November 4th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I'm a little old lady who has been using Ubuntu since Breezy Badger days. I'm still a novice, according to your poll, because I just use the GUI and rarely use the command line.
:KS
But heck, little old ladies all over the world should be using Ubuntu! It's so easy and problem-free. YAY UBUNTU!

3Miro
November 4th, 2010, 10:24 PM
shouldn't the one after torvalds like be something closer to 'i wrote a kernel to fit my specific needs and substitute it over the linux kernel'.

+1

koenn
November 4th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Wait, confidence in CLI makes you a semi-pro while a custom GUI makes you a PRO?

being capable of customizing the desktop or running an alternative window manager are typically a newbie's idea of "PRO"

(and a while ago, the typical next level would be : "uber-PRO; I run Arch" but that hype has deflated, fortunately)

Barrucadu
November 4th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Uber-PRO; I run Arch.

:P

Old Marcus
November 5th, 2010, 12:18 AM
"How advanced are you?"
http://sandalsandsocks.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/cyberman2.jpg
Very advanced. I am human.2. You will all be upgraded or die.

Apologies for thread hijacking, after seeing the thread title I couldn't resist.

But on linux terms, I come in at semi pro. I could work with an arch system or similar if I wanted, I've done it before, but I really don't want to atm. I want to use my computer for the purposes it was invented.

cloyd
November 5th, 2010, 01:59 AM
I'm a little old lady who has been using Ubuntu since Breezy Badger days. I'm still a novice, according to your poll, because I just use the GUI and rarely use the command line.
:KS
But heck, little old ladies all over the world should be using Ubuntu! It's so easy and problem-free. YAY UBUNTU!
One little old lady, one Methodist preacher (not technically oriented) . . . we use Ubuntu. If the world only knew about it, they could use it. I have learned more about computers using Ubuntu, but were I totally uninterested in learning anything, and just wanted to use the system, Ubuntu would have done the job. More people need to know about it and the marvelous range of software that is available.

Gremlinzzz
November 5th, 2010, 02:19 AM
About even with Bill Gates.

red_Marvin
November 5th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Another Uber-PRO here then...
Most of my day to day work not explicitly handling graphical data is done
through some terminal program or other and I can write scripts and programs
with confidence.

However I am also a total newbie, because the skills I have aquired so far
have also opened my eyes so that I can see the vast jungle of knowledge I
have yet to attain. What I do know seems miniscule in that comparision.

NightwishFan
November 5th, 2010, 03:21 AM
I am going to have to agree with Simian on this one (wow who would have thought?). My qualification based on the poll is "Linus Torvalds Like". I am certainly not in the same ballpark as him. (Being honest). However I am running my own customized kernel and python applications.

cgroza
November 5th, 2010, 03:26 AM
010101 010011001 010101110001

ha ha ha ha ha 010101

_outlawed_
November 5th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Special - Linux Power Newb.

Yea, that suits me nicely. :p

KiwiNZ
November 5th, 2010, 03:55 AM
I dabble a bit

handy
November 5th, 2010, 04:48 AM
I'll always be just a beginner with Linux.

Simian Man
November 5th, 2010, 04:50 AM
The internet is always serious!!! :)

I am going to have to agree with Simian on this one (wow who would have thought?).

Judging by your name and avatar/location, we also have similar taste in music and movies :).

NightwishFan
November 5th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Best of the best my good sir. :)

Austin25
November 5th, 2010, 04:58 AM
I surf the web occasionally using lynx on tty1.

RiceMonster
November 5th, 2010, 05:02 AM
I surf the web occasionally using lynx on tty1.

That's not skill, that's masochism XD

MasterNetra
November 5th, 2010, 05:04 AM
How or what really does one truly define at what point you reach a certain level? One might be as far as compiling apps and consider himself a intermediate, while someone starting out may consider him a Guru, and someone who is at or near Linus's level may consider him a novice still.

user1397
November 5th, 2010, 05:27 AM
How or what really does one truly define at what point you reach a certain level? One might be as far as compiling apps and consider himself a intermediate, while someone starting out may consider him a Guru, and someone who is at or near Linus's level may consider him a novice still.

aka, its all relative...

TiBaal89
November 5th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Operating systems? You guys use operating systems? Please... I write programs with no hardware abstractions. I haven't written a text editor yet, I input my programs using DIP switches and a clock button.

user1397
November 5th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Operating systems? You guys use operating systems? Please... I write programs with no hardware abstractions. I haven't written a text editor yet, I input my programs using DIP switches and a clock button.

i see you and i raise you...

i wrote an AI program which built an OS for me...yes, specifically tailored for me...

Khakilang
November 5th, 2010, 06:13 AM
I don't move my mouse if I don't see an icon. But than I am not afraid of command line either. I am moving 1 step ahead but very slowly.

judge jankum
November 5th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Back in the day I hated DOS and sitting with my DOS book" I'm a point and click Linux user......and loving it!!!

lisati
November 5th, 2010, 06:19 AM
<idle-musing>
I wonder where I can get some hardware and consumables suitable for adding punched cards and/or paper tape capabilities to my server. Finding suitable drivers might be interesting.
</idle-musing>

karthick87
November 5th, 2010, 06:21 AM
I use both Graphical interfaces and CLI and I feel comfortable using a command line

DuncanWatson
November 5th, 2010, 06:25 AM
I voted pro as I use linux for a living and have since 1995 or so. Any system without command line makes me cry.

Windows Nerd
November 5th, 2010, 07:59 AM
+1. Someone could build a custom kernel quite easily, and alt. window managers and using the command line does not correlate very well to how experienced one is with Linux.

Spice Weasel
November 5th, 2010, 12:55 PM
PRO should be "modifies the source code of the system to suit their needs".

slackthumbz
November 5th, 2010, 01:19 PM
My power level is over 9000. Pro as f***.

Swagman
November 5th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I'm 49

Advanced enough ?

epicoder
November 5th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I am one with the command line.
I am also fluent in python, php, html, javascript, and a wee bit of C/C++.

koenn
November 5th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I'm 49

Advanced enough ?

no, just old.
:D

_outlawed_
November 5th, 2010, 04:25 PM
my power level is over 9000. Pro as f***.

what 9000???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

matthew.ball
November 5th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I do most things from the command-line (except browsing, though I'm tempted to try w3m and then it will more or less be everything), but I don't really know enough to do any customisations to the system. So your criteria is flawed.

MasterNetra
November 5th, 2010, 06:22 PM
aka, its all relative...

Yea. I just like the long winded versions. :P

Swagman
November 5th, 2010, 06:35 PM
no, just old.

[Old Farts Mode ON]

[Yorkshire accent]
"Tch.. Young Whippersnappers these days. Listen young Nimrod... When WE invented pooters we never even ad us calculators to elp us.

ad to yuse grey matter aye .. n' fingers & toes (which stuck out of holes in us shoes)

Blessed ad slide roolz though not menny of them those days.

Aye.. Buggerz not know their born these days."

;-)

chessnerd
November 5th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I'd call myself a "semi-pro" under that scale. I feel at home using either the GUI or command-line. I understand Linux to a degree that would make me a power-user (I especially know Debian-based Linux systems).

ctrlmd
November 5th, 2010, 07:33 PM
i don't use command line unless i really really really have to
which enforce me to learn something new><, eventually thats a good thing :lolflag:

Old_Grey_Wolf
November 5th, 2010, 08:28 PM
The more you learn the more you realize you don't know. :)

leclerc65
November 5th, 2010, 09:13 PM
The only command that I don't need copy/paste is

sudo apt-get install ...:)

alphaniner
November 5th, 2010, 09:44 PM
That's not skill, that's masochism XD

No, this is masochism (among other things):

For personal reasons, I do not browse the web from my computer. (I also have not net connection much of the time.) To look at page I send mail to a demon which runs wget and mails the page back to me. It is very efficient use of my time, but it is slow in real time.

alxsmpgmr
November 5th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I almost never use command line stuff. i fancy myself a copy-pasta man..... but all that fancy stuff sure sounds cool T.T

sideaway
November 7th, 2010, 06:23 AM
I'm over 9000

samjh
November 7th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I selected Semi-Pro, even though I used to run Ubuntu with a custom GUI. It just doesn't seem right to call myself "PRO" when I don't even design/develop/fix/manage Linux systems professionally or as a major volunteer contributor. :|

lisati
November 7th, 2010, 08:48 AM
no, just old.
Not quite. 50 here.

aka, its all relative...
Which one? The mother-in-law?

[Old Farts Mode ON]

[Yorkshire accent]

Luxury :)

I'mGeorge
November 7th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Pfff...I'm so advanced that for about three years I've been using alien technology. Seriously, no bragging here but don't tell NASA.