PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Problems: Desktop Effects, PCI Video, Compiz, Xorg. Enough is Enough!!!!!

capsitan
November 4th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Summary: I would like to enable desktop effects on my computer. I tried to do a compiz-check to see if compiz would run. Compiz then gave me the following:

More than one graphics chip detected -- sorry, the script can not handle that. Aborting.

I have two video cards: onboard and PCI. I figured that if compiz was saying that more than one chip was detected than I should simply change the priority in the BIOS from VGA/PCI to PCI/VGA. Here is where it gets weird. Whenever I try to boot unbuntu or Linux Mint or any other distro using the PCI as first priority I either get to this Initramfs> boot screen or freeze on splash screen. WTF!! I actually have to pick VGA as the first priority in order to get my PCI Radeon 7000 card to work. I am honestly stuck at this point. I need to enable compiz but i thinks its using two adapters. can i change my Xorg.conf file? here is lspci output:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE/PE DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 82)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DB (ICH4) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
03:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401 100Base-T (rev 01)
03:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5007G Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
03:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]
03:0f.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 05)
03:0f.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! Game Port (rev 05)

Joe of loath
November 4th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Have you disabled the onboard chip in the BIOS?

Also, don't expect compiz to run on a Radeon 7000. They're 10 year old tech.

3Miro
November 4th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Boot priority is different then disabling a video card altogether. There should be another option in your BIOS somewhere.

Also, your hardware cannot handle the OpenGL effects from Compiz.

capsitan
November 5th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Thank you for both replying. I actually cannot completely disable onboard graphics from my BIOS; I know it like the back of my hand as well. I ended up actually just removing the old PCI card and going with the onboard graphics. I think it would actually work better than the PCI card would anyway. I can actually run compiz-check now and here are the results:

Gathering information about your system...

Distribution: Linux Mint 9
http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_isadora.php
Desktop environment: GNOME
Graphics chip: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03)
Driver in use: intel
Rendering method: None

Checking if it's possible to run Compiz on your system... [SKIP]

Checking for hardware/setup problems... [SKIP]

At least one check had to be skipped:
Error: No rendering method in use (AIGLX, Xgl or Nvidia)

what do I do from here? I am still pretty new to Linux and have been very excited to learn more about it. All i have wanted to do was enable 3d and desktop effects the entire time, which then led me so far to a week trying to figure this out.

What I am very confused about is why the filesystem wont mount when i change the priority to from VGA/PCI to PCI/VGA. I found a couple of other threads online where this has been due to an issue with Linux and PCI cards. I am somewhat knowledgeable about computers (A+ and degree) and I still have no idea why this would happen. Maybe ill go for a Linux+ ;-)

3Miro
November 5th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Error: No rendering method in use (AIGLX, Xgl or Nvidia)

I am sorry to tell you that the 3D cube requires OpenGL rendering on a newer Intel, ATI or Nvidia (older Nvidia may work, however, older ATI cards have very bad driver support and should be avoided for Linux).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiz

Basically, to get the Cube, you will have to get newer hardware.

capsitan
November 7th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Um ok Well i have an intel integrated Video card that has 3D capabilities (see above). is there a way to manually invoke rendering?

capsitan
November 7th, 2010, 05:24 AM
I looked around and it seems that I need to add a section called "server layout" to my Xorg file. here is my current Xorg:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "X.org Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"