PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Error: sil: only 3/4 metadata /dev/sda

Carlbc18
November 4th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Hi All,

Let me explain the problem. When i did my initial install of ubuntu 10.04 server i was using a PCI SIL SATA controller, and i chose the hardware raid 1 setup.. After installation i talked it over with a few colleagues and we decided software raid would better suit our needs. With that being said, I removed the controller and directly connected the disks to the SATA ports on that mobo. At that point, I re-ran the ubuntu server install going through the manual software raid 1 setup. After completion during restart I receiver two errors:

Error: sil: only 3/4 metadata /dev/sda
Error: sil: only 3/4 metadata /dev/sdb

I assume this is in regards to the hardware configuration with the card, but since the card is no longer installed, and the system was reinstalled i'm having one hell of a time figuring out where this info is stored.

My software raid1 has been running strong for a couple weeks now without issue, so i'd like to resolve this startup error. Its more of annoyance since the system starts.

If anyone could help that would be much appreciated!

P4man
November 4th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I think hardware raid meta data is stored on the MBRs, while software raid (mdadm) on partition superblocks. But Im not confident enough to tell you to rewrite the MBRs as I fear doing so may also mess up your software raid.. Is this a RAID 0 or 1 ? If its a raid 1 I suppose you could try one drive at the time, but I take no responsibility if Im wrong :)

Carlbc18
November 4th, 2010, 08:32 PM
That would make sense!

This is software Raid 1.

P4man
November 4th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Well, the usual command to remove that metadata is

sudo dmraid -r -E /dev/sdx

however, its quite possible (even likely) that will ruin your existing raid, and it should never be done on a mounted raid to begin with, so youd have to do it from a livecd, en then probably you will no longer being able to boot. You could backup the MBR with dd and restore it if it goes wrong, but if I where you, Id leave it like it is until the day you want to reinstall.

Carlbc18
November 4th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Yeah I probably won't be doing that on a running system. i'll keep the information for when i need it. I should have removed the raid before uninstall/removing the SATA card - sigh. Live and learn I guess.

Thanks P4man

P4man
November 4th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Actually, you should just have run the above command (or zero out the MBR) before installing, but hindsight is always 20/20 :)

Carlbc18
November 4th, 2010, 08:53 PM
HAHAHA good point! Thanks again! The advice is much appreciated!