PDA

View Full Version : "Light Peak" to arrive in 2011...

Sporkman
November 4th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Intel Light Peak tech coming--will Apple follow?

by Brooke Crothers

A technology developed by Intel and backed by Apple is expected to appear earlier than previously thought, paving the way for very-high-speed connections on both PCs and Macs.

Light Peak is now on track to appear in products in the first half of 2011--and likely earlier in the year than later, according to an industry source familiar with the progress of the technology. Light Peak is significantly faster than even USB 3.0, carrying data at 10 gigabits per second in both directions simultaneously...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20021658-64.html

3rdalbum
November 4th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Who wants to bet that Mac OS 10.8 will ONLY run on computers with a Light Peak port, just like how Mac OS 10.4 required a Firewire port?

linux.is.skynet
November 4th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Hmm.. That'll be great for syncing my iPod with Billy's so we can have a SICK Yu-Gi-Oh! battle! Just being an idiot, it'll be interesting to see.

conundrumx
November 4th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Lot of pluses moving to optics for device interfaces. It'll even be feasible to keep the connectors and cables exactly the same while bumping the speed at a later date (just look at SFP), making backwards compatibility much easier than copper interfaces. No susceptibility to EMI, either.

Unfortunately, this will also mean more fragile cables. All in all, if Light Peak catches on (which it will if Apple backs it as rumored) life will get a lot simpler and faster.

Oxwivi
November 4th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I'm interested to see how this Light Peak works out. I like the idea of an universal port, though of course provided in ample amount. USBs have much penetration, but I find not enough ports provided on any general hardware.