PDA

View Full Version : Installing ubuntu netbook alongside Windows 7 starter

yesar92
November 4th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Hello all,

I have downloaded the ubuntu netbook edition for my dell inspiron 1012 mini notebook and I want to install it alongside with Windows 7 starter edition like what I have on my desktop computer , and choose from the OS boot menu the os I want to operate , is that possible? knowing that I have one drive only , and the minibook is not partitioned.

Thanks!

Fafler
November 4th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Yes. The installer handles all that, resizing your current partition and installing the bootloader. Just pop the CD in, boot into the installer and follow the instructions.

Quackers
November 4th, 2010, 01:26 PM
It is safer to resize your Windows partition from within Windows, and much quicker.
Go to Start and right-click on Computer then select Manage. In the window that appears click Disk Management. When a graphic of your hard drive appears right-click on the Windows drive and select Shrink. It will tell you how much shrinkage is available - usually about half. Click ok and 30 seconds later it's done. The resulting unallocated space can be used for side by side installation of Ubuntu.

yesar92
November 5th, 2010, 06:05 AM
It is safer to resize your Windows partition from within Windows, and much quicker.
Go to Start and right-click on Computer then select Manage. In the window that appears click Disk Management. When a graphic of your hard drive appears right-click on the Windows drive and select Shrink. It will tell you how much shrinkage is available - usually about half. Click ok and 30 seconds later it's done. The resulting unallocated space can be used for side by side installation of Ubuntu.

I am shrinking the volume right now , lets hope this works , Windows 7 starter is so stupid version of windows.

What happens after shrinking? will a new partition appear?

Quackers
November 5th, 2010, 06:26 AM
No, some unallocated space will appear. Ubuntu can then use this space to install itself.