PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HELP!!! emerald in Ubuntu 10.10 I cant switch back to default ubuntu THEME!!! HELP!!

pinnacle65
November 4th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I installed this into the console like this site said, It seemed like a good idea.

sudo apt-get install compiz compiz-plugins compiz-gnome compiz-core emerald compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-fusion-plugins-extra fusion-icon compizconfig-settings-managerhttp://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-tools-tips-sexier-ubuntu-interface/

I found that on that site. It seemed like a good idea so I did it, So I went to emerald Theme Manager and clicked edit themes and played around with those themes there. The Truglass theme. But not I saw that the themes look horrible. I want to go back to my default ubuntu theme!! What do I do!! its not leting switch back to my default theme thru the appearance preferences on my ubuntu. HELP!! Im desperate. I want to get this emerald theme out! its Horrible!!! HELP! THis is driving me nuts Ive been hours trying to figure this out and it just doesnt switch back to my default ubuntu theme! I want to use my default "ambiance" theme from ubuntu!

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4826/screenshotpuv.png

ajgreeny
November 4th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I had a similar problem in 9.10, I think it was, where the emerald theme manager kept crashing, and did not actually do anything I asked of it. I came to the conclusion that it was too much trouble and uninstalled emerald and the theme manager.

For the moment if you don't wan't to remove emerald completely, you can just remove the command emerald --replace from the compizconfig-settings-manager Window Decoration plugin, if it is enabled there, and replace it with compiz --replace or /usr/bin/compiz-decorator. That should give you vanilla compiz with no emerald.

As I understand things, emerald is not being developed further, at the present time, though I have not checked this out at all.

pinnacle65
November 4th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I had a similar problem in 9.10, I think it was, where the emerald theme manager kept crashing, and did not actually do anything I asked of it. I came to the conclusion that it was too much trouble and uninstalled emerald and the theme manager.

For the moment if you don't wan't to remove emerald completely, you can just remove the command emerald --replace from the compizconfig-settings-manager Window Decoration plugin, if it is enabled there, and replace it with compiz --replace or /usr/bin/compiz-decorator. That should give you vanilla compiz with no emerald.

As I understand things, emerald is not being developed further, at the present time, though I have not checked this out at all.

That didnt work!!! the other thing is when I double click the window, Instead of minimizing or maximizing it , it scrolls into itself into a single bar without the window, you double click it again and it spits the window contents back out. Im pissed! I want my ubuntu themes and effects and everything to be back to default factory settings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ajgreeny
November 4th, 2010, 01:28 PM
The window blind effect that you speak of, is one of the options of metacity as well so check that you have not enabled it in gconf-editor settings.

Look in apps->metacity->general->action_double_click_titlebar toggle_shade and change the last bit to toggle_maximise

mcduck
November 4th, 2010, 04:03 PM
That didnt work!!! the other thing is when I double click the window, Instead of minimizing or maximizing it , it scrolls into itself into a single bar without the window, you double click it again and it spits the window contents back out. Im pissed! I want my ubuntu themes and effects and everything to be back to default factory settings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will work, you just have to log out and back again to see the change.

The double-click on title bar will change back to your old behavior as well, as the default decorator and Emerald have their own settings for this.

shantiq
November 13th, 2010, 06:08 PM
two ways to get back to "normal ubuntu"

1. alt f2 or terminal and enter
metacity --replace

this remove compiz as the main window manager and brings back metacity

2. other way and i think more elegant since you have installed fusion -icon is to go to applications/systems tool/compiz fusion icon and then find the icon on top bar square blue with white arrow

right-click on it then go to select window manager and click on metacity

as you can see it is easy to return to compiz too

which you can also do with compiz --replace using the alt f2 or terminal route

do not give up on compiz it is the t-i-t-s and so is beryl (http://beryl-themes.org/)/emerald as opposed to default metacity/gtk

play around mayhaps

go to the fusion-icon again this time click on emerald theme manager and find many more here (http://beryl-themes.org/) simply import into the theme manager and refresh

there are really nice ones like pint-reduex (http://beryl-themes.org/content/show.php/Pint-Reduex+for+Ambiance+theme?content=133732) and many others