PDA

View Full Version : Pink Floyd fans here?

Laxman_prodigy
November 4th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Hi.

It is such a soulful experience listening to their songs. How do you feel about their songs?

Rodney9
November 4th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Depressed Wonder

Laxman_prodigy
November 4th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Depressed Wonder

Why depressed?

cracker89
November 4th, 2010, 11:18 AM
And I quote "This better taste better than it looks. And It better look really really good."

Its more of a personal experience. You can't really talk about floyd..

matthewbpt
November 4th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Pink Floyd is fantastic, and the Live at Pompeii film is the best music related film I've ever seen!
:guitar:

amitabhishek
November 4th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Pink Floyd music was our staple when I was in college. Perfect music once you are down with couple of pints! Even went to Roger Waters concert when they visited Bangalore way back in 2002.

Lots of fond memories!

julio_cortez
November 4th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I kind of like them.
Songs like "Comfortably numb" and "If" are a little too sad for my usual liking (and that's why I'm keeping listening to them in this period), but I must admit that other songs like "Hey you" and "Time" just give me an extra amount of energy when needed.

Used to be more a fan of Waters than a fan of Gilmour to be honest, anyway..

NightwishFan
November 4th, 2010, 01:04 PM
The ringing of the division bell has begun. ;)

matthewbpt
November 4th, 2010, 01:20 PM
The ringing of the division bell has begun. ;)

Great song! I think that the Floyd was still an amazing band withut Waters, as the album Division Bell and the concert video Pulse clearly demonstrate.

Dixon Bainbridge
November 4th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Hi.

It is such a soulful experience listening to their songs.

It engenders a different reaction in me.

How do you feel about their songs?

Syd Barrett era, interesting. Post Syd, tedious, pompus, self indulgent, self congratulatory, middle class sonic guff.

The Wall is the album I would most like to wipe from the annals of music history.

I'm not a fan. :)

Laxman_prodigy
November 4th, 2010, 01:29 PM
The Wall is the album I would most like to wipe from the annals of music history.

Really? Do you consider it that bad? I am quite surprised because there are very few who dislike Pink Floyd.

Dixon Bainbridge
November 4th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Really? Do you consider it that bad?

Yes.

I am quite surprised because there are very few who dislike Pink Floyd.

I know lots of poeple that love it. I know as many that hate it. Thats whats so great about music, one man's Pink Floyd is another man's Celine Dion. :)

The only way I can describe sitting through The Wall is 'bowel scrapping". Middle class English people whine enough as it is, having to sit through 2 hours of Roger Waters self indulgent tirades about how no one understands him, is more than enough for most inteligent people. Yeah Roger, you were bullied at school, yeah Roger, people in authority put you down. At least you eat and have a roof over your head, unlike 3 billion other people in the world that live and die in a dustbowl.

Rant over. :P

t0p
November 4th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I loved the albums Dark Side of the Moon and Wish you were here. When I'm tired and emotional, the song "Shine on you crazy diamond" can make me quite tearful as it reminds me of a friend who killed himself after some years of mental illness.

The really early Floyd makes me either very bored ("Interstellar Overdrive"... huh?) or very very bemused. Consider these insightful lyrics:

I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like
It's got a basket,
A bell that rings
And things to make it look good.
I'd give it to you if I could
But I borrowed it.

Later Floyd just makes me very angry that I actually paid for the garbage.

cracker89
November 4th, 2010, 06:16 PM
told you you shouldn't have talked bout floyd... :rolleyes:

All said and done, they're extremely trippy, beautiful musical scapes, lyrics tht are open to relative grasp and they all squabble like teenagers.

Though, yes, they're pretty extravagant, waters is too whiny at times and barret is what they mostly sang about after they kicked him out. nothing much to discuss. I wish they wernt so extravagant, i'd respect them a lil more. but no doubt, I love their compositions. Some of the best in the melodic-meloncholic spectrum..

@t0p - Yes, I see your point. And your choice in music is no concern of mine, however, consider these:

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
And you are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

And as most things in life, you hve a right to exercise ur ability to be selective. You really must. Where you dont, you make do or walk away.

P.S.:floyd? after pints? :D

mkendall
November 5th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Pink Floyd?

http://tommcmahon.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/pinkfloyd.jpg

jazzman8866
November 5th, 2010, 04:40 AM
It all depends what you are into. I love em. Trying to learn a few of their songs (guitar.) Go David Go.:KS:guitar::KS

steve161
November 5th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Got it, and very funny. But what does a barber have to do with Pink Floyd?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgvAwBDbuIo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqKkNezFG-g&NR=1

Khakilang
November 5th, 2010, 05:49 AM
I like Pink Floyd. But Pink is not my favorite color. Deep Purple is.

wilee-nilee
November 5th, 2010, 06:07 AM
I like Pink Floyd, David Gilmore although not a shredder is a unique guitarist that is easily recognized. I was watching a special on fractal geometry on Public Broadcasting, I immediately recognized the music sure sounded like Floyd or Gilmore, and sure enough Gilmore wrote and performed the sound track. I think it was actually all the other members sans waters that were part of the soundtrack recording.

Gilmore and Waters and the whole group are individuals in their own style and expression in composition and playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqKkNezFG-g&NR=1

Thanks for this link I had never seen Gilmore play a steel guitar it makes sense for this tune. Looks like a custom made guitar not a true steel, hard to see if there any pedals.

robsoles
November 5th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict.

Umma Gumma - Studio Album.

If you are unaware of that track then you aren't really a Pink Floyd fan yet, keep listening.

NightwishFan
November 5th, 2010, 06:09 AM
I like Pink Floyd. But Pink is not my favorite color. Deep Purple is.

Again +1. :D

lisati
November 5th, 2010, 06:12 AM
I used to have "The Wall" and "Dark Side of the Moon" on vinyl, and recall "The great gig in the sky" being used in a coffee commercial many years ago.

redtiger91
November 5th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Pink Floyd is different in a cool, trippy sort of way.

NightwishFan
November 5th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Nightwish did a cover of Pink Floyd as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkg88Mw5xJw

wilee-nilee
November 5th, 2010, 06:54 AM
For you real nerds the actual show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB8m85p7GsU
Here is the page that will link you to all 6 sections.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Fractals+-+The+Colors+Of+Infinity&aq=f

So get comfortably numb, I know I am, and enjoy.;)

Sound track David Gilmore.

HermanAB
November 5th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Pink FLoyd, Deep Purple, AC DC, Stones...

Now I give my age away, but the funny thing is that my son also prefer those.

julio_cortez
November 5th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Now I give my age away, but the funny thing is that my son also prefer those.It's kind of normal. I grew up listening to Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Beatles, Rolling Stones and Deep Purple on some old cassettes of my father. Eventually I ended up actually liking them ("Hey you" by Pink Floyd being one of my favourite songs, and "Sultans of Swing" by Dire Straits being one of the songs I would never forget).

Then, starting from those bases, I built up my very own taste: Guns 'n' Roses ("Sweet child o' mine" is probably my favourite song ever), Cranberries, Alanis Morissette and some Italian artists like Elisa and Ligabue.

I think it's a good thing, really. Without those cassettes I would have probably never started liking music the much I'm doing now. :guitar:

cascade9
November 5th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I like Pink Floyd up to 'dark side of the moon'. After that, theres only a few tracks that I actually enjoy, I cant sit through an album after that for love or money, but I'd consider it for chemical joy. ;)

The only track that I really like post 'dark side' is 'not now john' (from 'the final cut').......the female backing vocals of "f--- all that! f--- all that!' cracks me up.

The only way I can describe sitting through The Wall is 'bowel scrapping". Middle class English people whine enough as it is, having to sit through 2 hours of Roger Waters self indulgent tirades about how no one understands him, is more than enough for most inteligent people. Yeah Roger, you were bullied at school, yeah Roger, people in authority put you down. At least you eat and have a roof over your head, unlike 3 billion other people in the world that live and die in a dustbowl.

So I'm not the only one? I've disagreed with you about music before, but on this I agree 100%. I dont know if I'd like it "removed from the annals of music history" but I'd be more than happy if I never have to sit though any of it again.

I also find the wall depressing in the extreme. Which is funny, somebody I know finds the wall the be 'uplifting' (WFT?) and a chunk of my music collection they rate as 'music to slash to wrists to.' (the rest of it is 'music to drop your trips to' and 'music to annoy the neighbours' LOL).

NightwishFan
November 5th, 2010, 11:39 AM
My desktop in honour of this thread! :)
http://ubuntuone.com/p/Nqz/

V for Vincent
November 5th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I'm a fan. Animals is one of my favourite albums.

wewantutopia
November 5th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Definitely love Floyd. Early Floyd is my favorite: Syd Barret Era then the early albums: Saucerful of Secrets, Ummagumma, (adam heart mother was meh), More, Meddle, and Obscured by Clouds

"Careful with that Ax, Eugene" said Corporal Clegg as they went on an Interstellar Overdrive. So they Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun while they Remember a Day.

wewantutopia
November 5th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Awesome often overlooked Floyd song: Nile Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok8eeJXllUE)!!!!!!!!!

Chronon
November 5th, 2010, 03:22 PM
@t0p - Yes, I see your point. And your choice in music is no concern of mine, however, consider these:

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
And you are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

And as most things in life, you hve a right to exercise ur ability to be selective. You really must. Where you dont, you make do or walk away.

P.S.:floyd? after pints? :D

If you refer back, t0p remarked about liking Dark Side and not liking early Floyd.

muddpup64
November 5th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Hell ya!

Chazz44able
November 5th, 2010, 04:04 PM
They put on revolutionary light displays...

odiseo77
November 5th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I generally don't like to say "X is the best band ever", or "X movie is the best film ever", but in the case of Pink Floyd, I would dare to say they're the best rock band of all times... or at least, among the top 5.
I like almost all their albums, but I specially like Animals and The Wall... pure art, IMO.

samalex
November 5th, 2010, 05:56 PM
If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

All and all I'm not a huge fan, but I love the "Another Brick in the Wall" series of songs.

Sam

lisati
November 5th, 2010, 06:02 PM
All and all I'm not a huge fan, but I love the "Another Brick in the Wall" series of songs.

Sam

I like the Barron Knights "Never mind the presents" parody of the Brick in the Wall

WildeBeest
November 5th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict.

Umma Gumma - Studio Album.

If you are unaware of that track then you aren't really a Pink Floyd fan yet, keep listening.

Very trippy song. Know it well.

arnab_das
November 5th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what Gilmour meant in that song High Hopes

wilee-nilee
November 5th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what Gilmour meant in that song High Hopes

Floyd is known for its social comment, seems to be directed mainly at the false mythical social script we are taught in regards to hierarchy and hegemony.

In other words the colonialist mindset of superiority eg anybody not fitting in the colonial ideals is less then them. I try not to read to much into lyrics myself I am a musician I like instrumental music primarily having been a Jazz musician.

cracker89
November 6th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Hmm.. you know, threads like this often lead to the over hyping of people just like the modesty encaptured in what used to be floyd.

Sean Moran
November 6th, 2010, 07:44 AM
"If you should go skating,
On the thin ice of modern life,
Dragging behind you the silent reproach,
Or a million tear-stained eyes,
Don't be surprised when a crack in the ice,
Appears under your feet,
You'll slip out of your depth and out of your mind,
With your fears flowing out behind you,
As you claw the thin ice."

I can recite The Wall from memory. It is dangerous, but how was I to know back then?

korn101
November 6th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Oh God...

Don't even get me started on how amazing I think pink floyd is...

Just look at my avatar.

v1ad
November 6th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I love Pink Floyd, but some of the songs do get to be a bit depressing :D

cracker89
November 6th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Oh God...

Don't even get me started on how amazing I think pink floyd is...

Just look at my avatar.

he he.

Sean Moran
November 6th, 2010, 08:05 AM
"Did they get you to trade,
Your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
And did you exchange,
A walk on part in the war,
for a leading role in a cage?"

Floyd is an essential part of my mind, although I often wonder what I would have been without them clogging up my emotions with all their depressing outlooks.

I was only 14.