PDA

View Full Version : Bash Script for 'simple' Photobooth process

garuff
November 3rd, 2010, 11:11 PM
Hi folks,

Fairly new to scripting so bear with me, I've done a bit in the past (and dabble in a bit of VB/SQL now and then) but usually end up searching for something with similar functionality and cannibalising it to do what I'm after!

Anyway... I'm trying to write a fairly simple script using gphoto2, imagemagick and feh currently to automate a photobooth at a friends wedding, the aim being to have an input from a USB button (in the post currently!) to fire off a script that will:

1) Show a countdown onscreen

2) take four pictures

3) re-arrange the pictures vertically and stick a small border on

What I'd like is to fire up the script and have it displaying say picture1.JPG (fullscreen) until an input is registered (perhaps spacebar is pressed). Then display a countdown (fullscreen also) followed by a nice smiling face (fullscreen) at which point gphoto2 kicks in in the background and takes four shots at an interval of say 6 seconds a pop, these are re-arranged by imagemagick and sent off to a printer. The fullscreen image then changes to an hourglass for 30 seconds say (give the printer a chance!) and back to picture1.JPG that would have instructions to press the input again...

I've got as far as:

#!/bin/bash

SOURCE=/home/gruff/Pictures
WORKING=/home/gruff/Pictures/Outputs/Working
DEST=/home/gruff/Pictures/Outputs
RESOLUTION="640x480!"
COUNTDOWN=/home/gruff/photobooth/files/countdown
SMILE=/home/gruff/photobooth/files/smile

#Await USB input - when found do as below but ignore any further USB input until it's finished

#Instructions and countdown
feh -FZ -D 1 --cycle-once $COUNTDOWN
feh -FZ -D 10 --cycle-once $SMILE

#Capture images
cd $SOURCE
gphoto2 --interval=6 --frames=4 --capture-image-and-download

# Set last four pics as $pictures variable, count output images and set $finalpic file name variable

cd $DEST
pictures=`ls $SOURCE/*.JPG | tail -4` #last four .jpgs
photocount=`ls $DEST/*.JPG -1 | wc -l`
photonumber=`expr $photocount + 1`
finalpic="photo${photonumber}.JPG"

# Resize pics to resolution variable and save in working directory
/usr/bin/convert -resize $RESOLUTION -bordercolor black -border 10x6 $pictures $WORKING/resized.JPG

# Combine pics and save to destination with $finalpic filename
/usr/bin/convert $WORKING/resized* -append $DEST/$finalpic

# Clear working directory?

# Send to printer

# End 'please wait' type image - cycle back to start image and await USB input againSome rudimentary notes in there (mainly for my benefit!) that can be ignored for now!

But I'm struggling to get feh to maintain a fullscreen image - I need an IF or something to create a loop once the fullscreen image issue is sorted I think.

gphoto and imagemagick I'm pretty happy with there (might be a bit cowboy though!)... I'd like to make it fairly clean overall in the end as it's something I'm sure people would be interested in, requiring only a camera gphoto plays nicely with and a screen to set up next to it - simples!

/essay

Any help greatly received! Gareth

punong_bisyonaryo
March 6th, 2011, 04:51 PM
This is interesting, I would like to know what progress you've made so far.:)