PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] .deb packages no longer open automatically

xplaner800
November 3rd, 2010, 10:27 PM
When clicking on a .deb package, they used to open automatically with package installer. Now for some reason (which is most likely my fault) I'm only given the option to save the .deb to my desktop.

Could someone help me with how to change the file association back so that they open automatically with package installer.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

alexandari
November 3rd, 2010, 10:30 PM
I didn't quite understand. Is this happening when you download a .deb file? or when you click on it? GDebi is the app you are looking for

coffeecat
November 3rd, 2010, 10:39 PM
When clicking on a .deb package, they used to open automatically with package installer. Now for some reason (which is most likely my fault) I'm only given the option to save the .deb to my desktop.

I presume you mean this is happening in Firefox. In Firefox, go to Edit > Preferences > Applications and scroll down to 'Debian package' in the left column. Highlight that line, drop down the small menu at the right and choose 'Always ask' or whatever other choice you want.

xplaner800
November 3rd, 2010, 10:40 PM
When I click on it, I only get the option to "save". Yes, GDebi should open automatically and that's what I'm hoping for.

Thanks,

Patrick

sikander3786
November 3rd, 2010, 11:22 PM
I presume you mean this is happening in Firefox. In Firefox, go to Edit > Preferences > Applications and scroll down to 'Debian package' in the left column. Highlight that line, drop down the small menu at the right and choose 'Always ask' or whatever other choice you want.
Debian package is not listed in my firefox's applications menu? However firefox still gives me the option to open with Gdebi. Should applications menu list it?

To the OP: No doubt a very dumb question but is Gdebi actually installed? Might be you accidentally removed it....?

coffeecat
November 3rd, 2010, 11:25 PM
Debian package is not listed in my firefox's applications menu? However firefox still gives me the option to open with Gdebi. Should applications menu list it?

I was/am posting from 10.10, but 10.04 should show the same. I'll reboot into 10.04, and see what my Firefox in 10.04 shows.

coffeecat
November 3rd, 2010, 11:34 PM
Here you go. Posting from 10.04. The only difference between that and 10.10 is that Maverick opens deb files with Software Centre rather than Gdebi (Gdebi not in a default install of 10.10) and the highlight is bright orange.

@sikander3786, are you sure you're not seeing this, because I don't see how it could work without?

BlueLionCostas
November 3rd, 2010, 11:34 PM
Doesn't 10.10 use Software center for .deb files? Anyway, I attached a screenshot of my file association for .deb files in Firefox.

Edit: Hah, you beat me to it ;)

xplaner800
November 3rd, 2010, 11:49 PM
Thanks to all. My file association within FF got messed up with the new version. I can "reassociate" and now works fine.

Best,

Patrick

sikander3786
November 3rd, 2010, 11:51 PM
@sikander3786, are you sure you're not seeing this, because I don't see how it could work without?

It sounds pretty weird to me. Take a look at my screenshot.

coffeecat
November 3rd, 2010, 11:57 PM
It sounds pretty weird to me. Take a look at my screenshot.

Yes, very weird. I haven't a clue. And if you look at BlueLionCostas' screenshot, the deb packages are described differently from the 'Debian Package' I get in both Lucid and Maverick.

Perhaps it's the Apple theming that did it for you. :wink:

sikander3786
November 4th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Perhaps it's the Apple theming that did it for you.

Might well be...

But there is no problem as .deb are presented with a choice to be opened with Gdebi as well. I can bear all this :-)

BlueLionCostas
November 4th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Thanks to all. My file association within FF got messed up with the new version. I can "reassociate" and now works fine.

Best,

Patrick
Good to hear it's fixed. :)