PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Internet sharing problem via Wireless ad hoc connection

Aref.Ariyapour
November 3rd, 2010, 10:07 PM
Hi every body.

I am trying to establish an adhoc connection in my ubuntu 10.10 and share my cable internet throughout this connection with my Android phone. I have read some guides but I couldn't be successful.(I have another windows mobile, and it couldn't connect too)
I have installed Firestarter in order to enable internet sharing. My main Problem is that, no one can obtain IP adress from the adhoc connection, whether Firestarter is active or not. what should I do in order to make the other devices gain IP address from this connection. If I have to set static IP what should I do exactly?
Please help, to find out how to handle this problem.
Thanks so much

Aref.Ariyapour
November 4th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Any solution?

Hakimjo
November 4th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Hi Aref, I don't have the solution for your problem, sorry. But I do want to do the same thing as you ;-) and am looking for a HowTo. Is it right that I should install Firestarter and I should be able to pass my cable pppoe connection on to a second machine via a WiFi card ? In my case, I am already anticipating an additional problem, as my provider checks the machine's identity. Will my second machine (the phone) have its own identity or will it be under the name of the first one (the linux with Firestarter) ?

Hope we will manage

j

Aref.Ariyapour
November 4th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Hi Aref, I don't have the solution for your problem, sorry. But I do want to do the same thing as you ;-) and am looking for a HowTo. Is it right that I should install Firestarter and I should be able to pass my cable pppoe connection on to a second machine via a WiFi card ? In my case, I am already anticipating an additional problem, as my provider checks the machine's identity. Will my second machine (the phone) have its own identity or will it be under the name of the first one (the linux with Firestarter) ?

Hope we will manage

j

Hi dear Hakimjo.
I have used this HOWTO:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/ShareEthernetConnectionThroughWireless
and based on this guide, I installed the firestarter. It says that fire starter enables Internetsharing between two network interfaces, like eth0 and wlan0. This is all I know about firestarter and I think yeh we should do this (for your first question).
For your second question, I am not pretty sure, but I think there would be no problem for you and you can share your Internet with the other devices in your home network, and I think they can only identify the machines, directly getting service from their server, but keep in mind I said I am not sure.

Please if you found a solution, share with me.
Thanks a lot.

Aref.Ariyapour
November 10th, 2010, 08:10 AM
every body,
Someone please help us

lopcaf
November 14th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Hi!

I've managed to share the internet connection via wifi to my Android mobile.

What I did is brutal, but at least shows where the problem is: I purged Firestarter (i.e. Removed completely), then creating a new wireless network form the host is enough for sharing internet. NB Some Android phones cannot recognize an Ad-hoc connection, but you can patch the wpa_supplicant in the Android OS. Google phone-specific instructions.

the command for purging:

sudo apt-get --purge remove firestarter

NOTE!! This is not wise to do at all. The firewall administrator is installed for a reason.

Does anyone have the proper configuration for the firewall via firestarter, such that the phone can get an IP?

Saludos

Aref.Ariyapour
November 14th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Hi!

I've managed to share the internet connection via wifi to my Android mobile.

What I did is brutal, but at least shows where the problem is: I purged Firestarter (i.e. Removed completely), then creating a new wireless network form the host is enough for sharing internet. NB Some Android phones cannot recognize an Ad-hoc connection, but you can patch the wpa_supplicant in the Android OS. Google phone-specific instructions.

the command for purging:

sudo apt-get --purge remove firestarter

NOTE!! This is not wise to do at all. The firewall administrator is installed for a reason.

Does anyone have the proper configuration for the firewall via firestarter, such that the phone can get an IP?

Saludos
Hi dear lopcaf.
I have done what you said before installing the Firestarter. But my Android phone cannot obtain IP address from the connection. I have managed to share Internet in windows 7 and my android phone can obtain IP address easily, but I don't know why the android or the other devices can not get IP address from adhoc connection in ubuntu.

lopcaf
November 15th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Hi Aref.Ariyapour,

Which kind of security protocol are you using? I'm using WEP 40/128-bit key.

Hope this help.

Best regards

Aref.Ariyapour
November 16th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Hi Aref.Ariyapour,

Which kind of security protocol are you using? I'm using WEP 40/128-bit key.

Hope this help.

Best regards

For Understanding whether i can do it or not, I was using no security protocol.

lopcaf
November 20th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Hi,

does anyone know how to configure properly Firestarter to share internet via a wifi adhoc connection with an Android phone?

Help will be appreciated.

Thanks

lopcaf
November 25th, 2010, 01:53 PM
No ideas?

lopcaf
December 9th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Solved: I installed Gufw instead of Firestarter and I can make an Ad-hoc connection with no problem.

Hope it helps.

Hakimjo
December 9th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Cool - I have worked around my problem with an external router BUT I am sure the solution will come in handy in the future or for others.

Aref.Ariyapour
December 18th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Solved: I installed Gufw instead of Firestarter and I can share an Ad-hoc connection with no problem.

Hope it helps.

Hi dear lopcaf,

So happy that you have found the solution. I have installed Gufw, but what should I exactly configure in it, in order to enable internet sharing via my adhoc connection.

amir_pasha
December 19th, 2010, 10:51 PM
This internet connection sharing is really complicated in Ubuntu.
I have been searching for this problem for months but couldn't find a solution, doesn't work at all.
Please someone give a simple solution for god's sake!
Pleaease...

spiky001
December 19th, 2010, 10:57 PM
hi are you sharing with a pc/laptop or a phone?

lopcaf
December 20th, 2010, 01:31 PM
@Aref.Ariyapour (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1176765) I didnt have to make any configuration with Gufw.

To share internet, just create an adhoc connection doing the following:

1) Right click on the NetworkManager Applet
2) Create New Wireless Network...
3) I use the security protocol WEP 40/128-bit

Once created, you should be able to see the network in your android. If you dont, you might need to patch the wpa_supplicant on your phone. Google the model-specific instructions for your phone.

Hope this is clear enough.

lopcaf
December 20th, 2010, 01:32 PM
@spiky001 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=915355)

I'm sharing pc/laptop to phone.

peterguirguis
January 14th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Hope im not too late to this thread
if your android phone can't get an ip from shared ad hoc connection simply install dnsmasq
sudo apt-get install dnsmasq
or alternatively configure your android phone manually to give it static ip

nesquik
January 22nd, 2011, 04:48 PM
Hi.

I'm not able to set up an ad-hoc connection either, using 10.10.

I want to use my laptop's Internet connection on my iPhone. On Windows 7 I used Connectify to do that.

Tried several tutorials.

Please help!