PDA

View Full Version : My keyboard doesn't work when I'm programming Python

kangoo1707
November 3rd, 2010, 08:28 PM
I've started using Ubuntu for 3 weeks as a beginner Python programmer, but when I use Eclipse PyDev or Python Shell, the keyboard doesn't work at all. But it still works with other programs. Can anybody help me, please ! My laptop was HP 6530, Core2Duo 1.8Ghz, 2GB RAM. I don't even know whether it's a hardware or software problem !

P/S : I'm sorry if this thread is in a wrong location, I'm new to this forum

pauljwells
December 6th, 2010, 10:38 PM
This is a bug. Quite what or where I'm not sure. I'm no expert! I find with Eclipse/Pydev I can type after login but not after the screensaver has kicked in or after suspend. I also find that wxPython menubars only show if you run the program as sudo, or from Eclipse.

Stuff works better in the UNR, bizzarely and I think that these bugs are related somehow to the display. There's no difference in Kubuntu, I checked.

I know this is no help, but the more voices there are for the poor Python support in Ubuntu the better! Especially considering so much of Ubuntu is Python!

Help me help you. Test the wxPython menubar demo and if it doesn't work, add yourself to my bug report here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wxwidgets2.8/+bug/682478

Cheers