PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help updating Ubuntu to 10.10

LagomLife
November 3rd, 2010, 05:13 PM
Hey guys

I have had an old version of Ubuntu sitting on a 200gb partition on my hard drive for about 1 year now that i very rarely use. But now instead of paying for windows 7 I would like to migrate to ubuntu full time. However, when i go to the dual boot screen and choose unbuntu it stalls and does nothing, black screen.

So now I am downloading the latest release of unbuntu (10.10) and will try to install that "over"? the previous installation.

Is this what I need to do, just download the latest version, burn it to a cd, then go through the installation process? and choose to just install it over the previous version on that partition? Will it be that easy guys?

Thanks for any help and advice

Quackers
November 3rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
Welcome to UF.
Yes if you download the .iso image and then burn the image using a program like Imgburn, for instance. The .iso cannot just be burnt in a normal burn, it must be burned as an inage, otherwise it will not boot.
Then, if you know the partition details of your current Ubuntu installation, you can just over-write it. Be careful not to use the Windows partition details!

Chazz44able
November 3rd, 2010, 05:20 PM
yep, burn the CD, put it in and boot off that. Install it "manually(advanced)" and select your 200Gb partition. Over-ride that and it should work fine - that's if you want to only use it in that 200Gb partition. To use Ubuntu as your only OS on the whole sysyem, then select the "replace" option. Ensure you back up any wanted files though and enjoy!! :)

cpmman
November 3rd, 2010, 05:21 PM
Boot to the live cd and try without installing first to check that 10.10 works with your hardware (10.10 is only three weeks old and still has a few bugs).

If it's O.K. you should be safe to install - if not try the 10.04 version which has had more than six months of bug fixes and may suit your machine better.

LagomLife
November 3rd, 2010, 05:34 PM
nice quick help, thanks fellas.

Ok So I will burn off a disc for both 10.04 and 10.10 just incase. But I am mostly relieved to know that it is just a case of a simple over write of the old, not working, version. Thanks guys again.

Oh and I take it both versions are laptop compatible?

cpmman
November 3rd, 2010, 05:46 PM
Yes