PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nfs wont start

eyelessfade
November 3rd, 2010, 03:46 PM
When I run /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server I get:

* Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon... [ OK ]
* Starting NFS kernel daemon
rpc.nfsd: Setting version failed: errno 16 (Device or resource busy)
rpc.nfsd: writing fd to kernel failed: errno 13 (Permission denied)
rpc.nfsd: unable to set any sockets for nfs [fail]

In /var/log/messages I get

Nov 3 15:31:43 computer kernel: [ 104.710475] svc: failed to register lockdv1 RPC service (errno 13).
Nov 3 15:35:08 computer kernel: [ 309.205273] svc: failed to register lockdv1 RPC service (errno 13).

I got this in 10.04, and I still get it in 10.10.
It doesn't matter if /etc/exports is populated or not.

SeijiSensei
November 3rd, 2010, 06:45 PM
Are you running "sudo /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server"? You can't start this service as an ordinary user. I'm guessing that's why you get those "permission denied" errors.

eyelessfade
November 4th, 2010, 03:32 PM
yes. The message error wouldn't have occurred if I didn't.

Jose Catre-Vandis
November 4th, 2010, 05:29 PM
sudo /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server start/restart/stop

Choose 1 of the three

eyelessfade
November 5th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Wow. There really should be a "I am not a newbie" subforum.

For this thread to possibly to go further. Let us assume I have been using *nix for the last 12 years, and I am currently employed as a computer engineer dealing with *nix exclusively.

I have currently got NFS working by purging every last scrap of nfs related packages, and reinstalled them (Not dared to reboot). I have gotten it to work before, but it always goes away after a reboot. grub-update has been the only way to get it to work again after that, and not only did that work either.

Jose Catre-Vandis
November 5th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Have you checked for the version of nfs being run. In 10.04 and 10.10 this was important for getting nfs to serve up shares, although admittedly it related more to exports and fstab entries in the client. given your experience you will already have this covered, no doubt? ;0)

Check the last couple of pages of the nfs howto on the forum:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=249889

james_fried
July 18th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Just had this exact problem - didn't have people telling me to use `sudo` though ;)

Simple solution was to run `sudo dpkg-reconfigure portmap` and make sure that it wasn't loopbacked. A quick restart with `sudo /etc/init.d/portmap restart` then got NFS working just fine.

Hope that helps a googler.

J

aspora.isernia
August 2nd, 2011, 11:47 AM

J

It helped...
Thanks

mkilivan
August 8th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Just had this exact problem - didn't have people telling me to use `sudo` though ;)

Simple solution was to run `sudo dpkg-reconfigure portmap` and make sure that it wasn't loopbacked. A quick restart with `sudo /etc/init.d/portmap restart` then got NFS working just fine.

J

It doesn't work for me. Do you have another suggestion?

meekamoo
September 14th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I managed to get it working by disabling ipv6.

In /etc/hosts comment out the line that begins with ::1

AllGamer
January 31st, 2012, 10:42 PM

J

Thank you!

yes arrived here via google and indeed
sudo dpkg-reconfigure portmap was indeed the setting that was causing the issue (ubuntu 10.10)
ironically in ubuntu 11.10 there was no need to run that command nfs ran fine right off the bat after install