PDA

View Full Version : Driod X = Best Phone Ever!

giddyup306
November 3rd, 2010, 11:42 AM
Since I will be spending most of my time on the road till spring, I needed to get another phone. Alltel's reception sucks ***. I didn't get any reception in all of Utah, or half of Colorado. I've hated my Blackberry since day three. The ball had to be replaced in it twice, and now it likes to lock up for no damn reason. People were always bitching that they could never get ahold of me. Part of what was happening was that as soon as someone would call, the little timer showed on the screen, and it was so slow that by the time that the processor caught up it just showed a missed call. No buzzing or ring tone. I took it to Alltel about a half a dozen times, and they couldn't fix it. I have it set up to turn off at 3 AM every day, and turn back on at 3:01. This really didn't help. The last time I went to Alltel to have them fix it, they told me that I not only needed to restart it every day, but I had to take the battery out as well. This is extremely annoying because I have to do this almost every single time I want to make a call. I've timed my phone before, and it takes over 3 1/2 minutes for the thing to boot up! My laptop boots up in less than 30 seconds, and I have added dozens of programs to it... I can't do much of anything with it because when you press down on the ball to select something, it doesn't work.

With that being said, I went to Verizon and got a different phone. I know Verizon owns Alltel, but they are a different company. I didn't know if I wanted a Driod or an iPhone. The guy that helped me said that he just came to Verizon from AT&T and now that he got his Driod, he only uses his iPhone as a music player. That was enough to sell me. In the Linux community it seems like the Driods get a lot of criticism saying that it has a bastardized version of Linux on it. Just like with the PC Linux, there are tons of Free and Open Source apps available for the phone. I read somewhere that Droids sales went up 800%, and they are expected to climb even higher.

I have 3G coverage on my phone. The internets on here is bloody fast on here. It has an 8 MP camera and can take HD videos. It's navigation is better than on either of my stand alone GPS's. They are going to be a thing of the past because smart phones update all the time. I have the 2011 updates for my Garmin, and it doesn't even show a lot of roads. Major roads even sometimes. This thing is fast! It literally has more processing power than my old laptop (1 GHZ). It also has 16 GB of memory. It even has a 3G wireless hotspot app that you can use as a modem to connect your computer to the internet! It's 20/month more so I'll never use it. I tried it just for the hell of it and it's like 56K speed. I even have a mileage tracker and daily expense and money managing software on here.

The only thing that I don't like about it is the touchpad is kind of inaccurate when I type. It's still better than typing on my blackberry. But what I absolutely love is that it's near impossible to make a phantom call with it. You need to drag your finger to unlock it, then I have it setup where I have to draw a pattern on the screen to completely unlock it. Even with my Blackberry locked, it still would unlock it self and try and cal UH&T&*(GIPUGILYGIO or some dumb crap like that. Just the other day it called some random number, and I got a text message asking who I was.

DeadSuperHero
November 3rd, 2010, 02:14 PM
M
The android works well, but not as well as apple... you can change some things... but not as much as linux.

You can change the entire homescreen shell if you want to in Android. Frankly, Android allows for MORE customizations than iOS ever would.

Zzl1xndd
November 3rd, 2010, 02:31 PM
I like Android a lot, and contrary to popular belief there is no rules against making money off of FOSS. Its a Fine Open Source OS even if it does upset some of the Free Software folks.

But anyway Linus seems to like it and if he doesn't have a problem with it neither do I.

http://torvalds-family.blogspot.com/2010/02/happy-camper.html

samalex
November 3rd, 2010, 04:04 PM
I didn't read the entire original post, but I agree completely with the subject. I completely love my DroidX!

ubunterooster
November 3rd, 2010, 04:11 PM
My opinion: it IS a bastardized version of linux.

Has anybody else realized that there is no shell?
You have to download a bash emulator.

My dad uses it on his phone and he can not use linux he uses win7 instead... and beleive me, I have told him Ubuntu is better.

He has never heard of BASH.

making open source mobile phone operating system does NOT make google any less of a monopolizing selfish business powerhouse just out for another pie to stick it's hands into.

Google is still doing everything they can to make as much money as possible... and that's not what oss is about.

Besides, Idiots and retards can use Android... And isn't that what Iphone was for... and if you can't afford an IPhone get a WindowsPhone...

oh wait, just like home computers! Once again Google is trying to rewrite the rules and making a semi-affordable OS that is below Apples "just works... but you can't do anything" and above Linuxs "you can do anything, but that means you might break it"

The android works well, but not as well as apple... you can change some things... but not as much as linux.
Agreed on each point considering my uncle and his droidX

ironic.demise
November 4th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Maybe I'm biased...
I like Ubuntu... and I have no need for a phone like an android.
an android phone allowed me to edit my scripts, view photos, browse the web and other things... but it's just not as good as a computer... and probably just as expensive.
My dad's phone was £400... my PC... probably around £200 nowadays (quite old) yet my PC does everything the phone can and everything I would do on the phone (barring phone calls... unless I get into Skype) I not only can do but would do on my pc... because the phone... it's just too small.

Try and write a script on an android... takes 4x as long than on a pc.

ubunterooster
November 4th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Stick that pc in your pocket and use it as a GPS

skierkyles
November 4th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Has anybody else realized that there is no shell?
You have to download a bash emulator.
He has never heard of BASH.

99% of users don't know what BASH even is, why would they ship an emulator with the phone?

making open source mobile phone operating system does NOT make google any less of a monopolizing selfish business powerhouse just out for another pie to stick it's hands into.

Google is still doing everything they can to make as much money as possible... and that's not what oss is about.

Why?
Google made a phone os, where the source code is mostly open source. What more or less from Google do you want?

Besides, what do you think Red Hat and Canonical are trying to do with oss. Their trying to make money....

My dad's phone was £400... my PC... probably around £200 nowadays (quite old) yet my PC does everything the phone can and everything I would do on the phone (barring phone calls... unless I get into Skype) I not only can do but would do on my pc... because the phone... it's just too small.

What are you talking about, of course your dad's phone was more expensive then your pc its 50 times smaller. Also are you really going to try and write a script on a phone? I think you might be missing the point...

//Happy owner of HTC incredible running the open source Cyanogenmod

RiceMonster
November 4th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Maybe I'm biased...
I like Ubuntu... and I have no need for a phone like an android.
an android phone allowed me to edit my scripts, view photos, browse the web and other things... but it's just not as good as a computer... and probably just as expensive.

Smart phones are not meant to be full computer replacements. Nobody buys an android phone to write a script on. If you buy a smart phone, you can have a camera, phone and media player all in one device. That's pretty convenient.

Not to mention you can check your email on the go, or get directions using google maps if you can't figure out where to go. Or maybe you're out to dinner with some friends, and you're having one of those discussions where nobody's sure what the truth behind some random thing is. You can open up your phone and check wikipedia, imdb, whatever.

Let me know when your PC fits in your pocket and can use 3G. Then I'll agree smart phones are pointless.

pwnst*r
November 4th, 2010, 09:24 PM
99% of users don't know what BASH even is, why would they ship an emulator with the phone?

Why?
Google made a phone os, where the source code is mostly open source. What more or less from Google do you want?

Besides, what do you think Red Hat and Canonical are trying to do with oss. Their trying to make money....

What are you talking about, of course your dad's phone was more expensive then your pc its 50 times smaller. Also are you really going to try and write a script on a phone? I think you might be missing the point...

//Happy owner of HTC incredible running the open source Cyanogenmod

^^This x 2

lancest
November 4th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Let me know when your PC fits in your pocket and can use 3G. Then I'll agree smart phones are pointless.

My 9" netbook does use 3G very well and is quite portable. I'd rather use Skype.

RiceMonster
November 4th, 2010, 09:46 PM
My 9" netbook does use 3G very well and is quite portable. I'd rather use Skype.

But you can't carry your netbook in your pocket can you?

lancest
November 4th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Fits in a large pocket yes or small case.
And you bet I can and do use a 9-12" netbook anyplace anytime. (Small form factor fits nicely on a restaurant table.)
Just did it yesterday in fact.
BTW 3G can be used on any Linux enabled pc.
Phones have their place but lines are blurring.

RiceMonster
November 4th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Fits in a large pocket yes or small case.
And you bet I can and do use a 9-12" netbook anyplace anytime. (Small form factor fits nicely on a restaurant table.)
Just did it yesterday in fact.
BTW 3G can be used on any Linux enabled pc.
Phones have their place but lines are blurring.

That's gotta be a pretty damn big pocket, and I can't imagine that being even remotely comfortable to walk around with. I don't think I'd want to walk over to my friends place while listening to music on my netbook. Sounds pretty damn awkward.

lancest
November 4th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I don't want a monster smartphone banging around in my pocket either and easier to steal. A nice case is the way to go.
And I don't think I'd want to type a document, access the CLI, or type much elsewhere on a cramped phone keyboard. Also I don't like squinting at small phone screens. My eyesight is ok too.
That said I will probably buy an Android phone sometime in future.

RiceMonster
November 4th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I don't want a monster smartphone banging around in my pocket either and easier to steal. A nice case is the way to go.
And I don't think I'd want to type a document, access the CLI, or type much elsewhere on a cramped phone keyboard. Also I don't like squinting at small phone screens. My eyesight is ok too.
That said I will probably buy an Android phone sometime in future.

...and that brings us right back to my first post in this thread.

Carrying around my phone in my pocket feels the same as a wallet, by the way.

aysiu
November 4th, 2010, 11:41 PM
I don't see why there can't be different tools for different needs. If you want a smartphone, get a smartphone. If you want a netbook, get a netbook. If you want both and can afford to do so, get both.

lancest
November 4th, 2010, 11:58 PM
I think alot of people are sticking with basic phones.

Play music- MP3 player.
Make a phone call- Basic phone.
Type something- netbook or desktop.
Security loss risk - minimal.
Less new model remorse with a pc/basic phone

A pc can do alot more and at a better price
I'm sure the Droid X is cool but it'll be surpassed with lightening speed by another smartphone.
Smartphone is just a computing device coupled with a phone. You can decouple the functions easily with pc/phone/mp3 player.

aysiu
November 5th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I've found a smartphone to be quite useful, actually. I'm speaking for just me, obviously. I don't really care if other people find smartphones useless (Don't want one? Don't get one).

It was after seeing how useful my wife's iPhone was that I decided to get an Android smartphone.

Here are some things I like to use it for: Checking email. I don't often write back using the phone unless it's urgent, but it's nice to know what's coming in. Getting directions. Very handy when you're lost on foot or in a car. Has completely erased the need to ever print out directions. Free turn-by-turn navigation is great, too. No need to ever buy a GPS. Finding restaurants or other services. Again--don't need to research restaurants beforehand if going for an outing. I can find reviews and what's nearby with a few simple taps. If I need a bank, I can easily find the closest ATM. Pictures. It's nice if you need high quality photos to have a real dedicated camera handy. I bring one along for special events (weddings, for example). Every now and then on the spur of the moment it's nice to capture a particular moment or something funny you see. My crappy smartphone camera is great for this. Catching the bus. I don't have a car, so I'm often taking buses around the city and transferring from one line to another. Having a smartphone makes it easy to see when the next bus is coming or what the best route is to take. I used to check Nextbus.com on my dumbphone before, and it was a real pain, even with bookmarks. The navigation through the "web browser" was terrible. Waiting around. A lot of times I have to meet people (my wife and/or friends). If I arrive early, I can read an eBook, check out the news, text message, or whatever for just a few minutes. I do have a dedicated music player because I need hard buttons to change songs frequently, and I am a clutz and often accidentally yank on the headphone cord, so sometimes my MP3 player (which is cheap plastic) goes flying. I can't afford to have my smartphone go flying. Also, my MP3 player has a radio that doesn't drain the battery. Listening to radio over 3G is a quick way to kill my Android phone's battery.

ironic.demise
November 5th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Why I feel Google is NOT an Open Source player! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Google)

Maybe I hit a nerve or two.

Normal phones can access the internet, play MP3, record, take photos.
My cheap Sony phone that has been around for years more than meet my needs... and if I ever wanted a professional or high quality photo... everybody would recommend I get a decent digital camera.

Android's main selling point is it's apps in my opinion, and most I have tried really don't need to be "portable"

All I am saying is Android does not suit my needs, Google in my opinion does not have the users or the open source community in mind (some may disagree, you are welcome to... just my opinion).

I wouldn't use an Android, everything it can do that I would use, I can do at home or on one of my portable devices I already own.
The price tag is high for something that doesn't really improve ease of life by that much...

A lot of the apps aren't that good.

Canonical needs to make money, I think it needs support but it deserves it because of how much it does for the community.

Androids only selling point for me is that it's bringing OSS to phones and to a larger audience than linux... but it doesn't really educate the way linux does and it doesn't feel open source and it certainly doesn't feel like part of the open source community, I think Google has created it's own pseudo open source community.

I would rather install Linux on a phone, or wait for an official and fresh Linux phone OS to be released.

Some people use Android and some people don't
It is good for some people, not for others...
At the end of the day though... I don't think it follows the ideas that Linux represents and it almost tries to hide it's linux tag from users.