PDA

View Full Version : Linux Fail me for the very first time

Ioky
November 3rd, 2010, 08:57 AM
So... I am not able to use my Desktop... ready for the reasons?

I upgrade my Graphic Card (use 3/5 power, doing double the work as the old one.) and added a SSD (super fast) for OS. It took me 2 hours to figure out how to put everything together in my very tiny case. (You wouldn't believe how much stuff is in side of that little case). But finally problem solves. Air Flow is good, temp is cool, Cables are well management, Power is stable (Need to be very careful with that 350Watt). So I am happy with the hardware.

The PROBLEM is the software. Fedora 14 and ubuntu 10.10 just came out, Pretty nice OS for both of them. BUT! they both use Kernel 2.6.35.ish. and this Kernel for some reason break the network controller that I have. Very wonderful, as much as Linux goes, you can't really do anything without internet connect in order to setup the very cool OS, you have in mind. And I have been fighting for my internet connection for almost two week. Everything looks fine, expect it just can't go online. ~very nice~ so, it gives me no choice but move back to an older version ubuntu, 10.04. and guess what, this time, the the graphic driver that come with it doesn't work. it is too old, and my Graphic is too new for it. Great, either the internet is not working, or the Graphic is not working. Yes, There are way to fix it. but sense it is like almost 4 o'clock, I will deal with it tomorrow. After all these years of Linux, it never gives me so much trouble, but guess what, it finally did. By the way, the SSD is unbelievable fast, it took about 7 sec to boot.

In the end of the Day, my pencil and paper are still my very best friends. Computer... doesn't matter how good you are with it, sometime it is just too much that you can't really deal with it.

alexan
November 3rd, 2010, 09:08 AM
Had you try to run the 10.10 live cd to test if it's really a distro related issue?

Anyway consider this: with 10.04 you're running a more old Ubuntu, but being a LTS it will remain young more than 10.10.
Latest updates come for both version, but on 10.04 will come for longer time ;)

del_diablo
November 3rd, 2010, 09:26 AM
Stop being a nub and throw in Mint Unstable <3