PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Printer sharing from maverick to Windows 7 - Can't print from certain applications.

techwhosaysnee
November 3rd, 2010, 07:26 AM
I'm having a problem with sharking a network printer from Ubuntu 10.10 to a netbook running Windows 7 Starter. I'm hoping to eventually upgrade the Windows 7 netbook so that it also runs Ubuntu, but that's a whole other post. I just need to get the printer working in the mean time so my wife can print with it.

I actually have shared the printer out successfully and resolved all the normal issues under Windows XP, and I can connect and print successfully from the affected netbook using Firefox and OpenOffice. But when we try to print from notepad or wordpad, the print jobs just go into space. No errors are displayed and the job never shows in the queue monitor.

In my googling I found a lot of things about printer sharing in general, but so far I haven't found anything that explains these symptoms.

The netbook I'm using is an EEE PC and the printer is an HP PSC 1200 series. I think my config files are all pretty much stock; I don't recall having to make any significant changes anyway. I'll gladly hunt down snippets to confirm that if necessary, though.