PDA

View Full Version : how has linux changed your life?

brandenmikal
November 3rd, 2010, 05:26 AM
so many of us have been using linux for years now (some probably not so much yet) but i've been wondering what people could say in terms of how linux has changed their lives.

linux (ubuntu namely) has changed my life for the better simply because i can now edit, create, and release my music all using ubuntu. i've learned a lot more about free software and whats out there AND i am able to do everything that i want to do without a hassle.

i'm so thankful to have found ubuntu when i did. after vista; i couldn't turn back to windows for anything and windows definitely lacks a community. ubuntu was the perfect choice for me. i'm branden mikal and i'm ubuntu powered for 3 years and counting!

so.......how has linux changed YOUR life?

Khakilang
November 3rd, 2010, 05:42 AM
Definitely my life has change with Linux. I have less struggle and less worry when come to installation and security. Installation is much easier. I just put in a CD and boot it up, answer a few question and everything is done. With Window I have to key in the product key, product activation either by internet or by phone, install motherboard drivers, graphics card driver, printer drivers and anything that attached to the computer. Than I have to install security software to make it safe. And it take me at list and hour to make it up and running. With Linux is only about 60mins.

NightwishFan
November 3rd, 2010, 05:53 AM
A big one for me is product keys I despise them as they have no real purpose other than to annoy me. I suppose it changed the way I do things because it gave me a new hobby and people to help. :)

rodney21bark
November 3rd, 2010, 06:02 AM
Linux change my life big time.
Because it make things easier for me, you can install easier and made other things better.
It had made my life better than the times when i haven't used Linux.

t0p
November 3rd, 2010, 06:04 AM
I don't have to steal software any more.

matthew.ball
November 3rd, 2010, 06:14 AM
It hasn't really changed my life.

ctrlmd
November 3rd, 2010, 06:15 AM
to be honest it didn't change anything
except the knowledge of existing alternatives to windows

msandoy
November 3rd, 2010, 06:45 AM
I have alot less bloody knockles and less broken hardware.

NightwishFan
November 3rd, 2010, 06:46 AM
I have alot less bloody knockles and less broken hardware.

RAGE!!! :lolflag:

weasel fierce
November 3rd, 2010, 08:17 AM
I never spend any time worrying if my computer will suddenly not work for no apparent reason.

Spice Weasel
November 3rd, 2010, 09:28 AM
I became interested in programming.

madhi19
November 3rd, 2010, 09:39 AM
I lose a lot less time downloading updates and rebooting my desktop!

matthew.ball
November 3rd, 2010, 09:56 AM
I never spend any time worrying if my computer will suddenly not work for no apparent reason.
I do :(

Tristam Green
November 3rd, 2010, 01:31 PM

....like you were forced to steal software in the first place. you silly.

through desire or necessity?

Linux changed my life by making me value my mortality.

Oxwivi
November 3rd, 2010, 03:49 PM
Linux has changed my life for the better. Period.

Lancro
November 3rd, 2010, 03:57 PM
Well, I now have a new hobby, hehe, somethings keep not working, and noone looks to know how to fix that things, but now I have a better OS, and a new community.

lotharmat
November 3rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
[with windows] it take me at list and hour to make it up and running. With Linux is only about 60mins.

Pure class! :D

beew
November 3rd, 2010, 04:12 PM
I don't go out anymore. It turns me into a geek wanabe. :(

Paul820
November 3rd, 2010, 04:15 PM
I don't get as many headaches :P

NikitaUtiu
November 3rd, 2010, 05:29 PM
I am huge programming enthusiast, and I tried ubuntu when my teacher suggested it. After some time I completely switched from windows (I'm not even dual booting now). Since then I have became a great open source supporter. d^_^b

Red_Steve
November 3rd, 2010, 05:33 PM
Pure class! :D

Didn't feel keen enough to comment on that xD

KiwiNZ
November 3rd, 2010, 07:09 PM
Changed my life ?

No, it's just a Computer Operating System.

ticopelp
November 3rd, 2010, 07:30 PM
My computer has essentially become "invisible" to my work. Meaning I can concentrate on what I'm doing without being interrupted by an updater, a virus checker, a malware checker, Clippy, etc.

Also, no more hunting around on the Web for apps. I love that so much.

Oh yeah, and since I'm no longer a Mac-head, I have lots more money too ;)

marin123
November 3rd, 2010, 07:42 PM
so many of us have been using linux for years now (some probably not so much yet) but i've been wondering what people could say in terms of how linux has changed their lives.

linux (ubuntu namely) has changed my life for the better simply because i can now edit, create, and release my music all using ubuntu. i've learned a lot more about free software and whats out there AND i am able to do everything that i want to do without a hassle.

i'm so thankful to have found ubuntu when i did. after vista; i couldn't turn back to windows for anything and windows definitely lacks a community. ubuntu was the perfect choice for me. i'm branden mikal and i'm ubuntu powered for 3 years and counting!

so.......how has linux changed YOUR life?

how do you create music? i mean what programs do you use? what kind of music?
im interested in producing electronic music (house :D ) and didnt find lmms useful because it has problems with vst plugins...

p.s. linux changed my life, now im spending more time on the computer and i became interested in programming and im turning into a geek :D

bowens44
November 3rd, 2010, 07:51 PM
Because of Linux, all of my software is legal. I am no longer the notorious pirate I was several years ago......

arrrrgggghhhhh!!

Matths87
November 3rd, 2010, 08:04 PM
After installing Ubuntu, my old laptop works fine and incredibly fast: I really don't regret Windows and its annoying popus, updates warnings, etc.
Last but not least, as bowens44's just said, I am not the pirate I used to be anymore :P

brandenmikal
November 3rd, 2010, 08:30 PM

same here. i used to pirate windows; not going to lie. but honestly; who in their right mind would want to pay $300 for the best version of it (which still sucks), when you can get linux for free? it's WAYYYY better than windows in all actuality.

thankfully, i can do what i want to now. no worries. no downfalls :]

Tristam Green
November 3rd, 2010, 08:33 PM
same here. i used to pirate windows; not going to lie. but honestly; who in their right mind would want to pay $300 for the best version of it (which still sucks), when you can get linux for free? it's WAYYYY better than windows in all actuality.

thankfully, i can do what i want to now. no worries. no downfalls :]

I would, because they make a good product and software developers have to eat.

brandenmikal
November 3rd, 2010, 08:35 PM
how do you create music? i mean what programs do you use? what kind of music?
im interested in producing electronic music (house :D ) and didnt find lmms useful because it has problems with vst plugins...

p.s. linux changed my life, now im spending more time on the computer and i became interested in programming and im turning into a geek :D

lol geekin' ....me too

well i use audacity (i've grown used to it and i've searched through google for an autotalent .deb to do my autotune effects)

it's served me well. works like it should and it has effects to begin with. you can also try using ardour (www.ardour.org)

it's a more advanced and professional quality recording program than audacity. never used it to be honest but i've had friends who have said good things about it. it's only available on os x and linux; audacity is available on just about any os.

brandenmikal
November 3rd, 2010, 08:39 PM
I would, because they make a good product and software developers have to eat.

well in terms of software development; sure. most companies require development to be done on windows computers.

windows 7 is an improvement and yes; i like to use it on my father's computer sometimes just because i can show off how much i still know about windows but i don't personally want to keep it around forever. i do have windows 7 ultimate on my computer in dual boot just in case i need it for any reason but i'm not a developer or a gamer for that matter so ubuntu serves my purpose well.

the only thing i like in all honesty about windows is the beautiful looks it has. if i want that with linux; i can still get it, so i'm pleased either way...just prefer my ubuntu, lol

brandenmikal
November 3rd, 2010, 08:43 PM
My computer has essentially become "invisible" to my work. Meaning I can concentrate on what I'm doing without being interrupted by an updater, a virus checker, a malware checker, Clippy, etc.

Also, no more hunting around on the Web for apps. I love that so much.

Oh yeah, and since I'm no longer a Mac-head, I have lots more money too ;)

fabulous! i know the feeling. i hate popups of any kind. with my ubuntu computer; no more popups and it's safer than mac and windows both :]

plus i also hated hunting around for apps. glad i don't have to anymore and i can get them all for free; best part though is the fact that EVERYTHING is covered.

read somewhere where someone from a magazine called "the guardian" stated that ubuntu's software center to them is like an iphone; whatever you need; there's an app for that.

gotta love linux and it's simplicity too. purely perfect for me. i love simplicity; helps me get work done faster and believe it or not; i've been using my computer so much more than i used to. i'm finally addicted to my comptuer again!

<3

Crazedpsyc
November 3rd, 2010, 08:45 PM
many of my best friends never would have noticed me had they not seen me spinning my desktop cube or some such thing with compiz.

brandenmikal
November 3rd, 2010, 08:52 PM
Well, I now have a new hobby, hehe, somethings keep not working, and noone looks to know how to fix that things, but now I have a better OS, and a new community.

i put in bold new community. a new community for me, was the most important and most essential thing for me to have and to be part of. i wanted to feel closer to my computer; not bored with it. ubuntu gave me my smile back and the reality that i can still have a community there when i need one and it's great too because i've made a few great friends here already!

sorry but microsoft's forums are a pure MESS. which is why i would never go back.

brandenmikal
November 3rd, 2010, 08:53 PM
many of my best friends never would have noticed me had they not seen me spinning my desktop cube or some such thing with compiz.

i know the feeling. a lot of people ask me how they can get it and i keep saying; gotta get that ubuntu!!

compiz is by far my favorite. would be lost without it.

brandenmikal
November 3rd, 2010, 09:03 PM

me too actually. love it :]

brandenmikal
November 3rd, 2010, 09:06 PM
I am huge programming enthusiast, and I tried ubuntu when my teacher suggested it. After some time I completely switched from windows (I'm not even dual booting now). Since then I have became a great open source supporter. d^_^b

that's awesome! you're teacher did well with that suggestion. i'm close to getting rid of windows but i only have it on here just in case i need it for whatever reason; but so far; i haven't had to use it since i put my ubuntu on here :]

Crazedpsyc
November 3rd, 2010, 09:29 PM
The only time I had to use windows since I installed ubuntu was when NOD32 antivirus beta for linux (blah blah blah etc.) broke ubuntu during an upgrade. I installed cygnome and several taskbar replacers on it asap!

XubuRoxMySox
November 4th, 2010, 09:54 AM
1. - Linux gave new life to an old hand-me-down 'puter that my family was going to just throw away. A minimal Ubuntu/Xfce mixture brought that old dinosaur back to life and it still runs faster than when it was brand new (with Win98 on it).

Yet it's simple enough for even me to use. :) Other kids use it at the dance school (they don't even know they're using Linux) and are amazed that such an old 'puter runs so well. When they ask how, then I tell them about Linux and offer a LiveCD so they can "test drive" it. As a result,

2. - Linux made me famous! I got an honorable mention in this (http://www.linuxforums.org/articles/non-geeky-girls-love-linux-too-_368.html) article by one of the other dancers. And we found some support for introducing Linux to her school.

3. - Linux liberates me from having to purchase, load, and update all the bloatware that Windows needs to operate safely. I don't defrag, scan for viruses, update constantly, nor clean the registry. No more ceaseless vigil to maintain my 'puter. I can now run applications instead of the operating system.

Life changing? Well, not really... a 'puter is just a household appliance. But using Linux has made that household appliance cost less, last longer, and operate better than before. And it has made me a few new friends, too.

-Robin

Spice Weasel
November 4th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I don't defrag, scan for viruses, update constantly, nor clean the registry. No more ceaseless vigil to maintain my 'puter. I can now run applications instead of the operating system.

The great thing is, you can do so if you want to. Get a rolling release distro and the XFS filesystem and you'll be defraging and updating in no time. Well, it does take a lot longer to get fragmented. :)

Plus, it's an excuse not to do work.

mkendall
November 4th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Linux improved my health, helped me lose weight, improve my cholesterol, and cured a mild rash.

Tristam Green
November 4th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Linux improved my health, helped me lose weight, improve my cholesterol, and cured a mild rash.

Oh yeah? Linux improved my libido, remedied my male-pattern baldness, and gave me wiiiiings.

Ok, Red Bull did that last bit.

Spice Weasel
November 4th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Linux gave me a Stallman beard.

m4tic
November 4th, 2010, 01:44 PM
i really hope to never meet any of you

mkendall
November 4th, 2010, 03:17 PM
remedied my male-pattern baldness

I'd be interested to know how this happened.

Tristam Green
November 4th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Linux gave me a Stallman beard.

yeesh :(

I'd be interested to know how this happened.

sudo apt-get install gnu-rogaine

Crazedpsyc
November 4th, 2010, 03:49 PM
E: Unable to locate package gnu-rogaine
Oh no!!! Where can I get the repository that's in? Is it on launchpad?
I even tried
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:rogaine/rogaine-ppa
but I got
Error reading https://launchpad.net/api/1.0/~rogaine/+archive/rogaine-ppa: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
!!!

wojox
November 4th, 2010, 03:56 PM
KISS – Keep it simple, stupid!!