PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Making sure two network cards each have the correct IP addresses

5circles
November 3rd, 2010, 02:01 AM
I've got two NICs connected to two different routers, and on different subnets of course. Each is set for static IP.

But somehow I must have mixed up the connections at some point, so the NICs don't always have the IP addresses I expect. I think there may also be a mixup with different ways of setting the network addresses. When I click the Network Icon on the Desktop, I see that each NIC has both addresses as options. The /etc/network/interfaces file has some information about eth0, but all commented out, so there must be another place the addresses get set.

And I just discovered that eth0 and eth1 aren't physical but virtual. I guess eth0 is the first one that is set.

Can someone help me clean up this mess?

Thanks

Iowan
November 3rd, 2010, 02:26 AM
One option would be to have the router(s) assign a static lease (based on MAC address). I presume you can delete the unneeded address option...

5circles
November 3rd, 2010, 03:49 AM
One option would be to have the router(s) assign a static lease (based on MAC address). I presume you can delete the unneeded address option...

That's an idea. Unfortunately my Linksys WRT54GS won't do static leases (unless I flash it to open source).

Meanwhile, I took a look at settings in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and found that eth0 and eth1 are apparently connected to the right MAC addresses - at least according to my reading of the man page. Then I changed the names of the NIC cards in the Network widget to match the MAC Address. Then I rebooted and the widget showed only one address for each NIC. So maybe its fixed - as long as I don't mess it up. :)