PDA

View Full Version : No internet in 10.10

matskv
November 2nd, 2010, 11:15 PM
I have also encountered a similar version of this problem (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10063677). After upgrading from 9.10 (using a disk install, not via update manager), I lost my connection to my local network (as well as internet). All other devices attached to my local network have access to both internet and to the other devices on the local network, except for my Ubuntu 10.10 computer.

According to my router, the Ubuntu 10.10-computer is attached and has been assigned an ip-address. However, it is not possible to successfully ping from my 10.10-computer or to it. From the computer I can ping "localhost" but 127.0.0.1 fails!

Thankful for any help I can get!

Iowan
November 3rd, 2010, 01:34 AM
Does ifconfig -a show the 10.10 machine with an IP address? (hopefully not an avahi address...)
ping 127.0.0.1 fails??? :confused:
Right-click Network Manager icon and verify that Networking is enabled.

matskv
November 3rd, 2010, 09:03 AM
I can not physically access the computer in question right now since I am at work, but according to what I can recall, ifconfig shows the same IP as my router has assigned to it.

There was however a strange detail (for me at least) in the ifconfig-listing; after my IP-address 192.168.1.107 there was a broadcast-address 192.168.1.255 which I cannot remember I have seen before.

I'll get back with more info when I get home in about 10 hours.

Thanks!

matskv
November 3rd, 2010, 08:33 PM
Okay, I'm back. First of all, ping 127.0.0.1 works fine from the terminal window, but not from Network Tools. I don't know how to interpret that except for not trusting Network Tools. Or? Anyway, I guess it's good news. Also, ping 192.168.1.107 works from the terminal window. :-)

ifconfig -a says: (manually transcribed since I have no ethernet connection...)
eth0 Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr bla:bla:bla:bla
inte addr: 192.168.1.107 Bcast: 192.168.1.255 Mask 255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::213:d4ff:fe7f:4e9f/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
...various rx/tx stats about my pinging on 192.168.1.107 only

lo Link encap: Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask 255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
.. various stats concerning me pinging localhost and 127.0.0.1

My /etc/network/interfaces says
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

Another thing that might be of interest is that after login in I get the "Network service discovery disabled" message up on the right hand side, i.e. "Your current network has a .local domain, which is not recommended and incompatible with the Avahi network service discovery. The service has been disabled". This message showed up in my 9.10 installation also. Is this something I should be concerned about? Frankly, I don't have a clue of what the message is trying to tell me, even after searching on forums about it.

Thanks again for any help and clues on how to solve my network problems!

al090187
November 3rd, 2010, 09:48 PM
Usually the /etc/network/interfaces should have some additional lines, regarding the ethernet connection. Try adding

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

matskv
November 3rd, 2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks, al090187, I'll try that soon. However, I made some similar additions yesterday to 'interfaces' but with no success.

Right now I'm partioning my boot disk in preparation for installing 9.10 and maybe 10.04 as well alongside the 10.10. I feel totally disabled now when my media server is not working so I will need something to boot to when I'm not trying to solve this issue with networking in 10.10. Because I won't give up!

Note also that I have no problem networking with 9.10 and even from the 10.10 live-cd. Isn't that strange? And in all these cases I have the same interfaces-file as the current in 10.10.

Thanks again!

Iowan
November 4th, 2010, 02:27 AM
For what it's worth - on a Network Manager-controlled machine, /etc/network/interfaces usually has only the following lines:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
Although NM should attend to it, you can check your gateway by looking (from a terminal) at route -n... the line marked with "UG" is the gateway designation. You can also verify DNS by checking cat /etc/resolv.conf

Interfaces defined in /etc/network/interfaces are normally not controlled by NM (although this can be changed), which means gateway and DNS must be manually configured.

If you have a standard server-install (without a desktop/GUI), there is no Network Manager, so /etc/network/interfaces is the normal method of configuration (unless something has changed in 10.10).