PDA

View Full Version : Tell my friend about Open Source, etc.

Strategist01
November 2nd, 2010, 07:44 PM
Hi guys.

I just read on FB that one of my friends was having trouble with her office 2003 suite - and so to solve her problems she then bought Office 2010. Now, she had to resort to buying software just to get her needs done.

I pointed her to Open Office, and she said, "Free things scare me... What's wrong with it that it can't be sold?" Now I realize that this is a common misconception, but I can't explain everything about Open source etc to her in one itty bitty FB comment.

Are there any good websites out there to help explain Open source in it's entirety - but in a simple way? I really want my friend to use open source and just need to encourage her.

Thanks.

Swagman
November 2nd, 2010, 08:03 PM
FireFox

Thunderbird

VLC

GIMP

They are all free.. She can send me a Cheque if she desires though.

Strategist01
November 2nd, 2010, 08:05 PM
No, I mean not the actual programs themselves - but rather why. I.e why it's better to go open source than closed source.

TBABill
November 2nd, 2010, 08:08 PM
Hi guys.

I just read on FB that one of my friends was having trouble with her office 2003 suite - and so to solve her problems she then bought Office 2010. Now, she had to resort to buying software just to get her needs done.

I pointed her to Open Office, and she said, "Free things scare me... What's wrong with it that it can't be sold?" Now I realize that this is a common misconception, but I can't explain everything about Open source etc to her in one itty bitty FB comment.

Are there any good websites out there to help explain Open source in it's entirety - but in a simple way? I really want my friend to use open source and just need to encourage her.

Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source

http://www.opensource.org/osd.html

There are a couple to get her started.

juancarlospaco
November 2nd, 2010, 08:13 PM
Wait, OpenOffice CAN be sold, since its a GNU Licenced software.

To fix the problem sell the software to her, problem fixed.

Spice Weasel
November 2nd, 2010, 08:16 PM
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source

whiskeylover
November 2nd, 2010, 08:17 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source

http://www.opensource.org/osd.html

There are a couple to get her started.

To someone who is afraid of FREE programs, you think a link to opensource.org isn't scary?

3Miro
November 2nd, 2010, 08:19 PM
"Free things scare me... What's wrong with it that it can't be sold?"

And all of this could have been avoided if only they had named the thing: FREEDOM Software Foundation.

Bring up what the MS Eula asks of her and how easy it is to violate and end her in jail (OK MS actually doesn't enforce this because it will give them one hell of a bad publicity, but still).

It is about Freedom, not free of charge. You can take her money for it. You can sell her support for it (as you are doing anyway). She can pay for it, if she so wants.

MasterNetra
November 2nd, 2010, 08:20 PM
Wait, OpenOffice CAN be sold, since its a GNU Licenced software.

To fix the problem sell the software to her, problem fixed.

1. Download Openoffice (go-oo better choice atm).

2. Burn to CD & Slap a pretty label on it.

3. ???

4. Profit

Strategist01
November 2nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks guys, all great links. I've given them to her. :)

Strategist01
November 2nd, 2010, 08:22 PM
1. Download Openoffice (go-oo better choice atm).

2. Burn to CD & Slap a pretty label on it.

3. ???

4. Profit

Hahaha! That wouldn't work though as we live in different cities, so I don't wanna pay fer postage...

MasterNetra
November 2nd, 2010, 08:23 PM
Hahaha! That wouldn't work though as we live in different cities, so I don't wanna pay fer postage...

lol just include it in the price, though side note, Ubuntu actually uses go-oo, which still bares OO's logo and such. But has better compability with MS Office then OO vanilla. go-oo is a Novell project for better or for worse. http://go-oo.org/

nlsthzn
November 2nd, 2010, 08:23 PM
The best things in life are free...

MasterNetra
November 2nd, 2010, 08:27 PM

lies, my rocket launcher, hand grenades, and tanks weren't free, and do you really think your gonna get a F-18 for free?... :P

nlsthzn
November 2nd, 2010, 08:36 PM
lies, my rocket launcher, hand grenades, and tanks weren't free, and do you really think your gonna get a F-18 for free?... :P

Weapons of mass destruction != Best things in life /discussion

Strategist01
November 2nd, 2010, 08:40 PM

Babies.

whiskeylover
November 2nd, 2010, 08:49 PM
Babies.

Free - maybe. Cheap - hell no!

Swagman
November 2nd, 2010, 08:57 PM
Babies aint free... 22 years later.. still paying

"Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad"

Simian Man
November 2nd, 2010, 09:00 PM
Tell her the truth: OpenOffice is not as good as Office, but for many uses it's good enough.

aysiu
November 2nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
Hi guys.

Thanks. I highly doubt she pays for absolutely every piece of software she uses. Does she use iTunes? That's free to download and install. She apparently uses Facebook. That's free to set up an account for. What about Google Earth? That's also free to download and install. Gmail, Yahoo email, and Hotmail are all free.

Cost and software quality have very little to do with one another. And Firefox has greater than 50% browser marketshare in some parts of the world. The London Stock Exchange runs on Linux (which is open source), and either a large minority or an actual majority of websites run on Apache (which is open source).

Lastly, even though open source isn't always about making money, you can still monetize it:
How does open source make money? (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/how-does-open-source-make-money/)

Spr0k3t
November 2nd, 2010, 11:00 PM
The best argument you can give to promote free/opensource software would be to point the person to a website such as this. Just a quick glance shows there are "Currently Active Users: 15278" on the site, of which only 314 of those are spiders. That's gotta say something right there. Imagine if you would tally up the number of users on unique IP addresses for a period of 24 hours during a major LTS release of Ubuntu. Last time I spoke with Shuttleworth about it, he said the numbers were close to 16 million (there's an IRC log somewhere on the site). That excluded the users who upgraded prior to the release as well as those who waited until the release was finished. So in reality, it's not for the lack of people using free/opensource software, it's the fact that the main form of advertising is word of mouth. The best way for your friend to determine if it's any good is to try it for herself. Just whatever you do, don't try to push her into using it.

limestone
November 2nd, 2010, 11:16 PM
to fix the problem sell the software to her, problem fixed.

+1 :)

beew
November 3rd, 2010, 03:16 AM
Hi guys.

Thanks.

Why bother explaining? People like that are worse than suckers, they are suckers and think that they are actually smart. They deserve to be squeezed.

beew
November 3rd, 2010, 03:25 AM
Tell her the truth: OpenOffice is not as good as Office, but for many uses it's good enough.

No, this is not the truth, just your bias. Whether it is "as good" depends on your criteria of being good, and this has a lot to do with what you use it for and other considerations and cost is one such consideration. Now this is someone who is using MSO2003, I doubt that she is writing macros for EXCEL. As it seems that she is pretty clueless about software she probably doesn't even know how to download or install the compatibility patch, so she probably can't even open docx, xslx etc with her Office2003, but OOO does that out of the box (and I don't think Office2003 and save to those formats but OOO can)

Opps, I should say Go-OO or LibreOffice, but they are still free.

Khakilang
November 3rd, 2010, 05:22 AM
I cannot understand this. Free software is not good? Why not ask her to do a test run and see for herself whether is it good. If not she can just remove the software with just a few clicks. The software is not going to stick to her computer like a leech. I have test and use a lot of free software even for Window.

t0p
November 3rd, 2010, 05:58 AM
The software is not going to stick to her computer like a leech.

Haven't you heard? Open source is viral!!
(http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/open-source-virus)
:p

NightwishFan
November 3rd, 2010, 06:04 AM
Haven't you heard? Open source is viral!!
(http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/open-source-virus)
:p

A cancer.. A plague! :D

I also disagree with Simian. By no means is Office "better all around" than OO. It probably is in some places, nothing is absolute. To be honest not having ribbon ( >_< ) and being open source is enough for me.

Simian Man
November 3rd, 2010, 02:36 PM
OpenOffice is a great product considering it is free and open source. But anyone who really thinks it is better than MS Office either hasn't used them both as much as I have or is a freetard :).