PDA

View Full Version : Is it just for me or is Maverick not actually DLing updates at install?

MasterNetra
November 2nd, 2010, 05:16 PM
I've played around tested other things and came back. Reinstalled Maverick multiple times and not once has Maverick actually downloaded the updates when checked at install. Everytime I do updates it has to download every one of them post install. Is this happening for anyone else?

**Update**
Filed bug for this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/670031

user1397
November 2nd, 2010, 05:17 PM
I've played around tested other things and came back. Reinstalled Maverick multiple times and not once has Maverick actually downloaded the updates when checked at install. Everytime I do updates it has to download every one of them post install. Is this happening for anyone else?
same here, tested on multiple installs as well

MasterNetra
November 2nd, 2010, 05:22 PM
same here, tested on multiple installs as well

A side note, have you tryed installing it without encrypting the home directory, atm I've done that and no matter what I do it will not go to the login screen at start-up, keeps bypassing login & password and auto-loads into admin account despite the option for Don't ask for pass isn't selected. Checked the CD from Shippit and it was given a clean bill of health. I have filed a bug report in launchpad and trying to work with them on it.

CharlesA
November 2nd, 2010, 05:24 PM
I noticed the same thing with the installer not downloading updates.

kaldor
November 2nd, 2010, 05:38 PM
I confirm this as well in a virtualbox install.

MisterGaribaldi
November 2nd, 2010, 05:57 PM
Yep, did a fresh clean install, and it didn't download any updates, either. Updates after-the-fact work, of course, but nothing at installation.

user1397
November 2nd, 2010, 06:01 PM
A side note, have you tryed installing it without encrypting the home directory, atm I've done that and no matter what I do it will not go to the login screen at start-up, keeps bypassing login & password and auto-loads into admin account despite the option for Don't ask for pass isn't selected. Checked the CD from Shippit and it was given a clean bill of health. I have filed a bug report in launchpad and trying to work with them on it.

i've only tried installing it without encrypting the home dir, and have had 0 login issues

MasterNetra
November 2nd, 2010, 06:05 PM
Filed bug for this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/670031

MasterNetra
November 2nd, 2010, 06:08 PM
i've only tried installing it without encrypting the home dir, and have had 0 login issues

hmm yea I just more recently checked custom.conf in /etc/gdm for some reason Ubuntu decided to set my admin account to autologin. I'm 100% sure I didn't select that option, though that said I suppose it is possible I may of accidently hit my laptops touch pad and tap click might of selected it without me realizing it, who knows. either way I changed the .conf file and now Ubuntu is behaving as should.

Oxwivi
November 2nd, 2010, 07:54 PM
I second the bug. I installed on my sister's netbook with connection to wireless and wired LAN (shared from a desktop) only to download updates after install. However, on my desktop's install, the first time I installed from normal Live CD it did download something - I say something because I saw it download something, took a long time to install, but still download some updates later. But at reinstall it was the same no-download case.

MasterNetra
November 2nd, 2010, 08:01 PM
I second the bug. I installed on my sister's netbook with connection to wireless and wired LAN (shared from a desktop) only to download updates after install. However, on my desktop's install, the first time I installed from normal Live CD it did download something - I say something because I saw it download something, took a long time to install, but still download some updates later. But at reinstall it was the same no-download case.

It will download and install that mp3 plugin you can choose to have install ,which gets booted if you later install the restricted extras, as such I don't bother with that, that might of been what you seen downloaded and installed? They should at least add the download & install of the restricted extras preferably it replacing that single mp3 option. I know Kubuntu does that. Which I give it props for.
After all one of my biggest complaints is that Ubuntu hasn't really made any effort to even have the ubuntu-restricted-extras package made known let alone present the option to install it for new users. I mean unless someone does their install for them or lets them know about it how are they suppose to know they can get the bulk of their codecs + flash (and I think java) in one package selection?

grahammechanical
November 2nd, 2010, 10:01 PM
I did not check download updates during install. I checked download restricted drivers and something happened.

When I went on to the BBC website to check the news the videos on the pages began playing. I could also use BBC iplayer to watch TV programs that had already been shown on terrestrial TV. This did not happen before because I did not have 64 bit installed. So, I guess 64 bit flash was one of the things downloaded. It was a nice surprise. It is a nice touch to the installation process although I am not sure if a first time user would know what they were being asked to approve of unless they had already done some research about Linux and Ubuntu.

Regards.

The Real Dave
November 2nd, 2010, 11:48 PM
Perhaps this doesn't belong in the Cafe?

lisati
November 2nd, 2010, 11:53 PM
Hmmmm, interesting.

It has been a while since I've done a complete fresh install (the last was with a pre Maverick release), but don't recall any installations downloading updates as part of the installation. Unless, of course, I blinked and missed something. :)

NightwishFan
November 2nd, 2010, 11:54 PM
I think the single mp3 option is free of patent issues where the other is not.

Edit: Lisati, there is a new checkbox to do so as part of Maverick.

_outlawed_
November 3rd, 2010, 12:36 AM
It does download updates for me at the end like usual, as that is when my ethernet light on my laptop starts going blinking crazy with activity.

MasterNetra
November 3rd, 2010, 12:56 AM
I did not check download updates during install. I checked download restricted drivers and something happened.

When I went on to the BBC website to check the news the videos on the pages began playing. I could also use BBC iplayer to watch TV programs that had already been shown on terrestrial TV. This did not happen before because I did not have 64 bit installed. So, I guess 64 bit flash was one of the things downloaded. It was a nice surprise. It is a nice touch to the installation process although I am not sure if a first time user would know what they were being asked to approve of unless they had already done some research about Linux and Ubuntu.

Regards.

The "restricted driver" Ubuntu's offers is only a mp3 driver. The stuff you get from restricted extras removes this in favor of the driver(s) it selects.

MasterNetra
November 3rd, 2010, 12:59 AM
Hmmmm, interesting.

It has been a while since I've done a complete fresh install (the last was with a pre Maverick release), but don't recall any installations downloading updates as part of the installation. Unless, of course, I blinked and missed something. :)

Maverick gives you a option to download updates as apart of the installation. Installation is different in Maverick then its predecessors. Though they removed the "use the largest continuous free space" option when handling the partitioning. A wag of the finger at them for that.

Khakilang
November 3rd, 2010, 04:52 AM
I install Maverick on another hard disk for testing and I have to do updates manually. Everything works fine for me.

Oxwivi
November 3rd, 2010, 09:56 AM
It will download and install that mp3 plugin you can choose to have install ,which gets booted if you later install the restricted extras, as such I don't bother with that, that might of been what you seen downloaded and installed? They should at least add the download & install of the restricted extras preferably it replacing that single mp3 option. I know Kubuntu does that. Which I give it props for.
After all one of my biggest complaints is that Ubuntu hasn't really made any effort to even have the ubuntu-restricted-extras package made known let alone present the option to install it for new users. I mean unless someone does their install for them or lets them know about it how are they suppose to know they can get the bulk of their codecs + flash (and I think java) in one package selection?
No, I did not check the box to get the codecs, it installs OpenJDK, which I do not like. I'd rather download the codecs on the go, when they're needed then deal with removing and installing Java things. ZI think I should make a new thread about ubuntu-restricted-extras installing OpenJDK instead of Sun Java.

MasterNetra
November 5th, 2010, 05:20 AM
No, I did not check the box to get the codecs, it installs OpenJDK, which I do not like. I'd rather download the codecs on the go, when they're needed then deal with removing and installing Java things. ZI think I should make a new thread about ubuntu-restricted-extras installing OpenJDK instead of Sun Java.

Well you could remove OpenJDK and install SunJava, the package still makes it easier to install the codecs even inspite of OpenJDK.